T Nation

Do Pharmacies Report to Doctors?

Just curious, do any of you know if pharmacies report back to doctors if the prescriptions/refills they write are filled and the dates they are filled? Thanks

no,unless they are suspicious of a presciption or a customer they dont call the doctor and check details

I am almost positive they do.

Depenjds what country and what drug. In the UK and the States (in the states i have lived - East Coast), they do have communications with the prescribing doctor when the drug is a controlled substance (Methadone, Vicoden.. etc.)

Not sure about AAS - why do you ask?

Brook

I know a pharmacy tech and she says they confirm narcotics for sure!

What about Test

test in the states is a controlled substance no different from vicoden,percocet ect

they have average time frames for doing refills.
example
if you have 10ml test and you are supposed to have 1ml a week you show up 2 weeks later to get your refill they will ask your doctor if its authorized because its before the time frame. and if they may ask you why you need your refills right away like that and what your intent is.
they try to avoid off label use and abuse as much as possible
also they want to make sure people are not taking expired meds by getting all the refiles for convince and storing them in the cup board until they go bad.

A year or two ago I read that in most states the logging for controlled substance prescription wasn't very well implemented and reports on prescriptions required specific requests. At that time though a few states (including CA since the article was about it) were implementing searchable online databases of controlled substance prescriptions so that doctors could more easily check for "doctor shopping".

I'd suggest a google search on "prescription logging" or something similar to check if my ~details are accurate.

I'm with etaco. I have a friend whose mother is a nurse practitioner, and part of her job is to search online databases that the pharmacies control. These databases show every prescription filled by a particular person to help the doctors stop people from going to multiple doctors to get scripts. The only thing that shows is filled controlled substance prescriptions. Red flags, from what her mother told me, were refilling scripts too early and getting multiple scripts from area doctors. She would then phone the doctors to cancel the prescriptions and possibly report the patients to the police, though, most of the time they just turned the people away and threatened to contact the police. These were mainly pain pills, I didn't hear her mention test, but since it is a Schedule III, I would imagine it would pop up too....but not possitive.

There is a pretty big difference between a CIII and a CII. Testosterone being a CIII does not get nearly the "watch" as a CII. The pharmacist would not bother to call a doc and confirm a CIII script unless there was some major reason like it obviously was faked or something. CIII can also get refills whereas a CII cannot.

Furthermore, yes a doc could call a pharmacy to check up on you but he would have to know which pharmacy you go to. As far as I know there is not a proper database in place.

bence is correct. pharmacies dont call and confirm CIIIs if the patient comes in early for a refill then they call the doc and request if it is close. if not close to a refill like 30 days early, then they will make a note of you. just act stupid and dont exhibit drug seeking behavior or you will get put on a list at the pharm.

So I double checked this with a pharma tech I know. She has worked at a bunch of different pharma's. Its pretty much the same procedure. They look at the script and check for things that look out of the ordinary. Like a man prescribed nolva when the majority of time this drug is used on female cancer patients. This would tip her off.

Or if the quantity of the script is off. Or if the Dr's hand writing looks off. They know by experience from the Dr's in the area what the hand writing looks like. So to get around this some people will take it to another pharma outside the area. This will tip them off as well. Most of the time the calls go out for pain killers. Or if you look sketchy or like a bum addict. And sometimes they call the Dr just out of a random check.

Also if your thinking of stealing some of the pad off the Dr's script book. They count pages and would know and report the script book stolen. Or they carry the book on them at all times. If they go missing it gets faxed to all pharms in the area and further. Its like a red flag. They keep an extra sharp eye for scripts from Dr SOANDSO. So good luck with that one.

In all cases the hard core techs like her will call the cops. And if you name is on the script your going to get reported to the cops. From there I am sure you know what happens next. Cause your going to be working out in the yard with your new husband or ...Mr Ben Dover and his rape gang in the showers.

Define "area". Any idea if these online databases cross state lines? For people living in southern NH, for example, any of the six New England states can be driven to in less than 90 minutes.