T Nation

Do or Not to Do

so i was really looking forward to pulling my first 500 lb deadlift at 165 at a meet in october. i was planning on competing push/pull because i dont think i could hit a PR deadlift after doing 6 other heavy lifts beforehand. so now the question is: do i go for it and try to hit a PR deadlift despite the circumstances, or do i wait to fight another day?

any thought would be much appreciated.

Suck it up and pull that fucking weight at the meet (after a good deload before the meet, of course).

Shit man. If your training is going well and you have confidence that you could do it in a push pull meet don't let the squat intimidate you. If you start doubting yourself a month out how the hell are you going to pull that shit on the day?!?!

Just don't be an idiot and do some stupid squat maneuver breaking your back in a good morning fashion....

What do you pull now? I've only competed once and the most I did in training was 435x2 and in the meet I opened with 435,455, then went for 475 on my final lift. So yeah go for it just hit a weight you know you can get on your first 2 and go for broke on the 3rd even if you miss it gives you something to shoot for.

Is this your first meet/competition?

[quote]millercraig222 wrote:
so i was really looking forward to pulling my first 500 lb deadlift at 165 at a meet in october. i was planning on competing push/pull because i dont think i could hit a PR deadlift after doing 6 other heavy lifts beforehand. so now the question is: do i go for it and try to hit a PR deadlift despite the circumstances, or do i wait to fight another day?

any thought would be much

It sounds like your new to competing. I would recommend you do the full meet, be conservative in your squat and bench attempts then go for broke on your dead lifts. Next time, train for a full meet, your squat and deadlift training will make both lifts go up.

Have fun. Take easy openers you can hit triples in good form with.

Concur with HARA... if this is you first meet you don't want to miss any lifts. You need to see how you perform on the platform, in front of a crowd, dealing with the stress of timings and line-ups, etc. You may just win your division/group with an easier guaranteed pull.

You'll be surprised by the adrenaline/reserves you have when it comes time to warm up to deadlift after two lifts. Don't psyche yourself out beforehand by overthinking it.

It really is 90% mental.

thanks for the replies guys. i think the overall vote is to just man up and do the full meet, so that's what i'll do. and of course i'll make sure to have fun doing it. because in the end that's one of the many reasons i love lifting. its fun!