Do oats have to be cooked?

After reading the post about “cold” bulking foods, I was wondering if anyone simply pours skim milk in a bowl of oats, let it sit, and then consume? I got this idea from reading Lee Labrada, and was just curious if anyone else does it; and, more important, does not cooking the oats negatively affect their nutritional breakdown? Thanks in advance.

Hey! I’m from Denmark… …and here a lot of people eats their oat like u describe it above… …and “not cooking” it… def. won’t affect the nutritional breakdown!

I hope it is ok, as my breakfast is 1 cup uncooked oatmeal, an apple, banana, pear, 1 serving pp and water, blend and voila.

A buddy of mine eats it uncooked with unsweetened applesauce. He says it’s the only way he can eat oatmeal. I have yet to try it that way…

I think they’re fine without “cooking,” especially given that for most people cooking just means pouring in some hot water and letting it sit for a minute or two.

Anyway, my favorite breakfast contains uncooked oats and is pretty tasty. I mix a 1 1/2 cups of plain yogurt with a scoop of Vanilla Grow, 2/3 cut of raw old-fashioned oats, 2/3 cup All-Bran and 2/3 cup of frozen blueberries, and then sprinkle cinnamon on top. Let it sit a couple minutes for the blueberries to thaw and enjoy!

what i do is put in .5 cup of oatmeal in a coffee cup at work, pour in hot water from the commercial coffee maker spout from work, let it cool for about 45 minutes, then chug it, since it’s runny.

I mix mine with cottage cheese and protien powder often.

NO, you do not have to cook them. Here’s a good one a couple hrs. before a workout. Big cup, fill halfway with oats, slice up a banana & put it in, put a couple handful of raisins in, a couple Tbls. of honey & pour goatsmilk over it. Mix it up. It’s awesome! GO FOR IT!

uncooked oats actually have a lower GI rating since theyre less processed!

I actually read somewhere that it is healthier to eat oatmeal uncooked. Some nutritional value is lost during the cooking process.

A big sincere Thank You to everyone who has replied. I really appreciate everyone’s informative insight.

cookmaster: I think that uncooked oats has a higher Gi than cooked, at least thats what my books tells med.
Uncooked: 89
Cooked: 70
Observe that because I from Sweden I use withbread as an index.