Do Meatheads Dream of Iron Sheep?

Donezo is right. These chokes are brutally effective if you can sink them. All of these techniques are. And its not like some whirling chi butterfly spin kick you need to spend 3 years practicing to perform. Its all gross motor skills done step-by-step. Almost anyone could do it.

For me, a man who is stronger than 99% of the people on this planet, it is amazing to get submitted by a BJJ black belt. At this point all I can do is stall him just a bit and make him work just a little bit harder than effortless. I have no hope of escape, no hope of overpowering him, no hope of submitting him. He could kill me easily, if he was so inclined. Lucky for me he stops just short of killing me, resurrects me and then shows me how to do it.

Next week I get to meet his instructor, a sixth degree black belt by the name of Marcelo Alonso. He was the head instructor at the Carlson Gracie school in Rio for over a decade.

He’s old school and bad as fuck, apparently. I’m looking forward to it.

For me, dudes like this are wickedly charismatic.

My son’s sensei is the Northeastern PKA kickboxing champion, and I watched him fight two years ago. He was totally fucking awesome.

I’m lean at about 13% BF, and I outweigh this dude by at least 40 pounds, and if I was in a fight with him, if I got my hands on him, I could do some damage. But, he’s so fucking fast, he might hit me five times while I’m moving in on him, and then he’d be gone, dancing out of my range.

So, enjoy the audience man, being in the presence of brilliance is awesome!

Yeah it is really cool stuff. I’m getting immersed in a whole new culture.

Here’s the dude. The other guy in the video runs the New Hampshire affiliate gym. I’ll get to meet him too I think.

Wednesday 5/31/17

BJJ 90 min

Today we worked on the key lock series of submissions from both top mount and side control.

Americana
Armbar
Kimura

Each done from side control and top mount. I have a feeling these will be money for me, as I can use my size, strength and weight as an advantage. Brute force BJJ baby!

My abductor seems to be healed, and I returned to full-force rolling tonight. I still got my ass handed to me, but I’m putting some escapes into practice and managed another Americana for a tap. I also was able to take another white belt’s back, who also happens to be a Judo instructor (aka not really a white belt). I did this right after escaping his armbar. The escape plus taking the back of a trained fighter was a real “aha” moment for me, even though he still handed me my ass overall.

It is really cool to put more into practice each time I step on the mat. Noob gains!

Thursday 6/1/17

BJJ 90 min

Today we began June’s training block, which will focus on back mount escapes and back mount attacks. I’m told we’re going to spend a LOT of time escaping back mount this month.

For anyone curious, the black belt head instructor runs the Monday and Thursday class. He teaches in month-long blocks where you focus on, for instance, back mount attacks and back mount escapes. Last month was side mount attacks and side mount escapes. The idea is that you will learn it well if you make it to all of the classes and you will get repeated exposure to the techniques even if you miss a few classes.

The purple belt teaches an extra class with no set agenda. He seems to gauge his audience and announce what we will work on that day, but it is always pretty basic stuff. The overall approach is beginning to make sense to me, and it seems like a sensible one.

Today we did back mount escapes. I did not note the exact names of these techniques. Two of the three made fantastic use of my weight. And there’s another guy in class who is almost as big as me, so I got a good feel of what 285 pounds feels like pressed down on your sternum. It is not comfortable at all, and very difficult to breathe.

I only got one good full-force roll in, and it was with the one-stripe white belt who is almost as big as I am. He pulled guard on me. I was able to pass, take side mount and nearly got him in an americana, but he defended it well enough to stop me. We rolled around a bit more. He got mount on me but I was able to defend the coke, trap the arm and roll him to the right. 5 minute draw. Exhausting.

My next roll was a “flow roll” with a girl who couldn’t be older than 20 and couldn’t be more than 100 lbs. I let her beat me up (mostly), but still snuck in a gentle americana on her. She was having fun making my fat ass chase her around. I gave her my back, which she literally climbed, then sunk a rear naked choke on me. Then she squirreled into mount and nailed an armbar. I pity the boy who pisses her off!

The professor visits tomorrow!

Friday 6/3/17

BJJ 120 min

Today we had 6th Degree black belt Marcelo Alonso at our gym to teach a seminar. Marcelo is my instructor’s instructor. Also in attendance were two black belts from the NH affiliate, along with some accomplished guests. I was one of only four white belts in the room.

Learning from Marcelo was described to me as “drinking from the source”. Marcelo Alonso studied under Carlson Gracie. Carlson Gracie is the son of Helio Gracie, the originator of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Marcelo Alonso was also the head instructor at the Carlson Gracie School in Rio, Brazil for over a decade. He now runs his own gym in Seattle and a dozen or so affiliate gyms around the country. It was a joy and a privilege to be taught by this man.

We started with an attack sequence from standing. Our opponent would try to sweep our knees with his hands, and we’d begin the whole sequence by trapping him in a guillotine choke, falling backwards, pulling guard and then finishing the choke. I sank this choke easily.

Next we’d start from the same position, with our opponent escaping the choke. In response, we slide the knee into his arm and PUSH, making him want to let go. That allows us to set up the triangle choke, which is where you choke them out with your legs. My legs are pretty thick but I was able to sink this pretty effectively.

From that position we moved on to an omaplata, which is a joint submission on the arm using the legs and torque from rotating the body. Its hard to describe without seeing it. Again, this begins from the same position you’d be in if your opponent escaped your triangle attempt. My leg size and strength really seemed to work to my advantage here.

From there our opponent would roll to escape the omaplata. We would quickly take side mount in response, then move right to mount. From the mount we’d move to the bow-and-arrow choke. I won’t even try to describe this, google a picture or watch it on youtube if you want to see it. I was able to sink this pretty well too. It is nasty when you do it fast.

We drilled this many times. Move move move. No downtime. That took about 50 minutes. We got a five minute water break.

Next up were the baseball bat submissions. These I did not take to as well as the previous sequence, but I didn’t get as much time as I should have to work on them. I let my partner go first so I could rest on my back while he choked the shit out of me. My neck is a bit thicker than average, so he was having trouble sinking them. This didn’t leave me as much time to practice them, but there is plenty of value in enduring the onslaught of a senior blue belt. I don’t feel cheated. I’ll be able to work on them more in the future, and I was able to sink a few of them really fast.

We went out for dinner afterwards and had a few drinks. My instructor friended me on the facebooks and welcomed me to the family. Everyone I met was so chill and easy to talk to. I attribute this to the brutal honesty of rolling on the mat. There’s not much point in posturing or talking shit when you will just get repeatedly exposed on the mat. These very chill and relaxed people can put their skills into practice with vicious intent and a drive to endure as much misery as they possibly can before tapping. My kinda people.

I feel like I’m joining a cult, but a helpful and friendly cult that just wants to see you become an efficient killer with your bare hands and reap the benefits associated with those abilities. I also have about 30 bruises on my body right now, including one really sweet one on my neck. I think I ruptured a blood vessel!

3 Likes

Interesting.

The guy I work with that is a blue belt and teaches at Serra BJJ is like this. He’s about 5’8" and a solid 165, and a surfer. I was talking to him about some of the locals at Rockaway, where some guys tape a knife to their board because it can get more than a little chippy catching waves, and he said, “Oh, I’m a blue belt in BJJ so I don’t worry about that.” He was just stating a fact, not talking shit at all.

@biker Indeed! The blood chokes we are being taught put a person to sleep after a few seconds. If the person wants you to live, he just lets go when you tap or pass out. If not, he just keeps squeezing for another 30 seconds or so.

@The_Myth Sounds like a lot of the guys and gals in class last night. And yes, I’d put my money on a BJJ blue belt to fuck the average clown up pretty easily. In my gym a blue belt represents about two years of consistent training where you’re basically full-force fighting (minus strikes) multiple times per week in addition to learning all of the techniques and drilling them repeatedly.

Here’s a super chill black belt setting up a triangle choke on me. He’s about a half second away from cutting off all of the blood to my brain. See? Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is FUN!

2 Likes

Monday 6/5/17

BJJ 105 min

Today we worked on attacks from back mount.

Rear naked choke
Various chokes with the gi collar
Bow-and-arrow choke

The collar chokes didn’t come easily to me but I was able to sink all of them. Having good training partners seems to be so important in all aspects of BJJ. For drills, feedback is necessary. I want to know that they are tapping because I did it right (cut off blood to brain) rather than tapping from discomfort, like their trachea getting crushed or the general suckiness of a guy my size trying to do these things to you.

Rolling went well. My first round was a newly-promoted purple belt. I went the whole 5 minutes without tapping. I was mostly on the defense, but I was able to roll him a few times and put him on the defensive briefly. It felt good to stop his attacks, but this guy is, quite literally, half my size.

Second roll was with a senior blue belt. I lasted the whole five minutes with him too, but he got me to tap about 3 seconds after the bell sounded. He was fighting for my arm and I just gave up on it after the bell. Armbar submission.

Third roll was with a 15 year-old white belt. I let him use me as a practice dummy, but snuck in an Americana to remind him that this bear has claws.

Fourth roll was with my black belt instructor. First tap was him suffocating me. Second tap was him choking me. Third tap was from an americana arm lock. The we talked about why he was able to dominate the fuck out of me by playing the right angles to take away my strength advantage.

I’m getting in better BJJ shape! I was exhausted but it is feeling good to be putting this into practice under live roll conditions.

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying these recaps of what you did in each class, I definitely want to try BBJ now.

How’s it effecting you lifting wise? And what’s the structure of a typical class like? When I did kickboxing about a quarter was fitness sort of stuff, half pad work and then the last quarter was sort of random. I know BBJ won’t be the exact same but I found an hour of just pad work boring.

That’s awesome. Take the plunge and do it. If you don’t like it, fuck it. At least you tried.

I can’t really say for sure. I’ve had both an upper body injury (stiff shoulder) and a lower body injury (torn abductor) that’s prevented me from doing both with any degree of consistency.

Overall I feel like it is sustainable to do both once my body gets back on board with moving barbells. I feel like I’ve gotten just about as strong as I can without taking drugs, so I don’t really mind putting lifting on the back burner while I focus more on BJJ. I know I can stay strong on two full-body lifting days per week, which leaves 2-3 days for BJJ and 2 days for not training. That’s a good balance for me at least, and I doubt I will lose any real strength if I can adhere to that rough plan.

Keep in mind I’m also old and fat. You’re young and limber, which is an advantage for BJJ and lifting/recovery in general.

20 min warm-up
30-45 min technique drilling
20-60 min rolling (sparring with partner)

At my gym you can stay as late as you want to roll if you want. Just gotta lock up on your way out. I’m not in that good of shape yet.

I’m actually off to move barbells right now. I’m still a bit beat up from rolling last night, but I’m going to give it a go regardless. Check my log in a few hours to see how that goes.

1 Like

Tuesday 6/6/17

BW 287

SSB Squats

155x5
245x5
295x5
335x5

Bench Press

105x5
145x5
195x5
235x5
235x5
235x5

Stiff-arm lat PD’s

3 sets of 10

Notes: Considering the abductor tear and the stiff shoulder, I’m very pleased with getting into the gym and moving some decent weight around with no issues. One of the best lifters at my gym is also a chiropractor, so I asked him about my shoulder. He poked around and decided the issue is with my lats, so he recommended the lightweight stiff-arm lat pull downs.

This is my first time taking medical advice from a chiropractor, so we’ll see how that goes.

The abductor seemed to be 100% on board with SSB squats. I actually tried regular barbell squats first, but my shoulders did not like those at all. Still sore from rolling. SSB to the rescue!

Very very pleased to be lifting the day after rolling and feeling good.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I think I’d be happy lifting two days a week or three at the most. I just have to wait until October when I’m back at university to start now. I look forward to seeing how you get on.

I think you’re young enough to have plenty of success in both. A brown belt I met recently is also a high-level olympic weightlifter. Smart training and good recovery can go a long ways, especially when you start young.

I think Alpha is a brown belt in BJJ too, and he’s an absolute monster in the gym.

1 Like

Thursday 6/8/17

BJJ 105 min

Today we worked on escapes and attacks from back mount. All the same stuff as before.

Double over escape
Double under escape
Over under escape

Rear naked choke
Various gi chokes
Bow and arrow choke
Armbar from back mount

Rolling went well on one of the first hot days of the summer. No A/C at my gym, so we all sweat.

First roll was with my instructor. He tapped me in various ways, but I’d like to think I made him work a little harder than last time.

Second roll was with the senior blue belt. He mostly kept me in side mount but I eventually made the escape and took side mount on him. I was unable to get anything going on him. 5 min draw.

Third roll was with the purple belt beginner class instructor. We just flow rolled and he let me work on side mount escapes. He’s only 22 but he’s a wicked cool dude and he really does a great job of explaining everything.

Deadlifts tomorrow!

1 Like

Friday 6/9/17

Deadlift

135x5
135x5
225x5
315x3
405x1
455x1
495x1
545x1

Press

95x5
135x1

Stiff-arm lat PD’s

3 sets of 10

Some pull-ups
Some cable flyes
Some curls
Some cable pushdowns

Notes: I’m healing up but still not quite 100%. I felt my abductor on 545 so I stopped deadlifts. It didn’t hurt or anything. I just… felt it. So I stopped those but all of my pulls felt strong and smooth. Today wasn’t the day to push, not when I’ve barely lifted in weeks and I’m still on the mend.

Shoulder felt better on pressing but still a bit off. So I just did what the powerlifting chiropractor told me to do, plus a bunch of bodybuilding type stuff that didn’t bother my shoulder.

Overall I’m pleased with how I’m feeling, I’m pleased to have a solid week of training behind me and I’m pleased to have shrugged off the burden of eating on someone else’s terms, which I should have done a long time ago.

I’m back on the fat loss train and feeling great.

2 Likes

Monday 6/12/17

BJJ 90 min

96 Degrees and HUMID inside the gym today! I was sweating just standing in my gi. Only six students showed up!

We continued our June training block of back mount escapes and attacks. We began with escapes. Each three times, each time against increasing resistance from our partner.

Double-Over
Over-Under
Double-Under

Then we did 2 min drills. Begin in back mount, then spar. The person getting mounted is trying to apply the escapes, the person mounting is trying to counter them and sink a choke or joint lock. I managed to escape the senior purple belt and took a sloppy side control.

On my turn I was able to tap him with a cross collar choke. I was coached through it by our instructor. And I began in back mount. And I had 50 pounds on the guy. It still felt pretty good to sink a choke against someone who was actually trying to stop me.

Rolling was good today. Senior purple belt again. He’s a pretty stout Army lad, and only 22. We began the roll with me in his guard. I passed pretty easily, I think he gave it to me a bit. I took side control and held it for about 4 minutes. I was trying to get an Americana on him but he defended it well. He rolled on his side once and I swung my foot for an armbar, but he fell flat again and I re-took side control. He tried to escape but I was able to take mount on him with about 20 seconds left. I was so tired I forgot to choke the shit out of him and just kinda dug my hands into his upper arms near the armpit.

I’m very pleased with that draw, and he was pleased as well. He said I played side control very well, which was encouraging. I don’t think he’s going to give me side control so easily next time.

I rolled with the black belt next. We started at standing. Not long after he got the takedown I started feeling nauseous. I was done for the night. Rolling in a gi in a 96 degree and humid gym was like training in a sauna. I didn’t hurl thankfully.

Should be back in the 60’s on Thursday. Great class today. Things are starting to fit together.

Tuesday 6/13/17

SSB Squats

155x5
245x5
295x5
335x5
385x1
425x1

Stiff-arm lat PD’s

3 sets of 10

Bench Press

105x5
145x5
195x5
235x5
235x5
235x5

Notes: I lift in a gym with tens of thousands of dollars of Elite FTS equipment, but no A/C. Oh well, it is good for me. Abductor checked out okay. Squat strength checked out okay. Shoulder still off on bench, but it seems to be improving as well. All in 90+ degree heat and high humidity the day after rolling in even nastier conditions.

I’d say I’m well on the mend.

1 Like

Thursday 6/15/16

BJJ 90 min

Last night we continued our work on back mount escapes and attacks. We drilled a few new sequences that started with one person in back mount and ended with a choke or an armbar after the escape. The idea is to show us a few attacks you can go right into after making the escape.

Rolling went well. I rolled with our black belt first. He and I like to begin standing, and I scored a pretty good takedown on him. No real technique, we were just grabbing at each other and I brute forced him right over my hip. I ended up in his guard, which he let me pass. I took side control on him and held it for a bit before he escaped and tried to set me up in an armbar. I defended it and managed to not get tapped by my instructor for the first time.

Next up was the senior white belt. He choked me out in about 2 minutes. We kept at it and I got the better of him in the second half of the round, but I couldn’t quite sink any chokes. He hadn’t rolled with me in a while and he had good things to say about my progression. He’s about my size too, so I really enjoy sparring with him. I think I can tap him if I’m fresh. I’ll see soon enough.

Next up was another white belt who is also a Judo instructor. We began standing and I took him down with the same sloppy brute force throw over my hip. He got the better of me on the ground, and got me to tap with a nasty squeeze that I just didn’t want any more of. I think that was some Judo shit.

The real take-home today was the eye opener of how my size and strength can put a smaller, weaker opponent on the mat with relative ease. I can’t wait to learn real take downs and not just be a goon, even though being a goon seems to be pretty effective when it comes to putting someone on the mat.