Do Meatheads Dream of Iron Sheep?

Giving blood definitely makes a difference. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

1 Like

Wow. I was just rolling through, and saw this!! Holy smokes that’s impressive. Your new place sounds fantastic; the lifters, attitude, all of it.
Great lifting on your part as well,
Rock On.
Z

@kpsnap Well of course giving blood makes a difference. I think I made a difference to the young lady who drew my blood. She got to mutilate me, getting some good needlework practice in and she also was able to shamelessly grope my arm. Apparently the air just wasn’t leaving the air pouch fast enough, and she really needed to make sure it was all gone before it was safe to unfasten the velcro. I blame Trump. The guy grabs a few pussies back in the 70’s and now women think they can just grope helpless men and get away with it.

@denver_z_man Thanks for the kind words. The new place is definitely fantastic. I wish they had more strongman stuff, but I suppose that’s kind of like complaining about your new Corvette when you just got out of a Camry.

Monday 11/21/16

BW 275

5/3/1 Cycle 1 - 3’s week

SSB Squat - TM 380

155x5
205x5
265x3 set 1
305x3 set 2
355x7 set 3

Bench Press - TM 280

105x8
155x5
195x3 set 1
225x3 set 2
255x9 set 3 (1 rep PR I think)
215x12 FSL

Chest-supported rows

3 works sets of 3 plates for 10

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

5 sets of 20

Notes: Another week of abbreviated full-body lifting. Partner is a bit beat up from the barbells and he had his first bouncer fight last week. It went well. He showed the guy the door, then he showed him the pavement. They left and didn’t come back.

1 Like

I just did the math on this and realized that’s a 4x bodyweight pull.

That’s pretty good, I guess.

Reminds me of a quote by comedian Ron White. “I didn’t know how many of them it would have taken to kick my ass, but I knew how many they were gonna use.”

@ActivitiesGuy Yep. He’s helping me with my pulls as well. I think I can do a few things better and I’ll be curious to see what sort of numbers these changes produce.

@max13 My partner and I are bouncing together tonight. Wednesdays are already the busiest night at this bar and the day before Thanksgiving really brings out the drunks. It should be an interesting evening, but I like our odds when we’re working together.

Wednesday 11/23/16

BW 276

Deadlift - TM 550

135x5
225x5
315x3
385x3 set 1
440x3 set 2
495x7 set 3

Press - TM 195

95x5
115x5
135x3 set 1
155x3 set 2
175x7 set 3
135x10

Pull-Ups

5 sets of 5

Notes: Partner hit 495x10 and 175x7. Kept things brief and easy today since we’re both bouncing in a few hours.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 Like

Happy thanksgiving.

I just caught up in here- very envious of you rnew gym and your new toys.
Very solid pulling and ssb work
BTW squatting what ammounts to 405 x10 is like a a big old 545.
just saying.

@bagofbro Thank you for following and thank you for the kind words. I know I’m not the biggest, strongest, or leanest, and I’m certainly not the best at what I do, but I still feel so incredibly fortunate to be able to do these things. I fully intend on testing my squat strength sometime in early 2017. 545 is, in fact, the next mental milestone for me. I think I’m close.

@biker My lifting partner and I bounced together for the first time tonight. The first fight of the evening involved two females, and we were able to handle the situation by being a pair of complete gentlemen. The second fight of the evening involved numerous grown men, and we were able to handle the situation by being a pair of complete animals. My partner busted a guy’s face open and there was blood everywhere. It took us about 5 minutes to get all of the involved motherfuckers out the door. I’m pretty proud to say we kicked some ass and handled some messy shit tonight. We’re both fine, the others not so much.

Also, dander girl has a boyfriend now. He’s a nice young lad and I’m really happy for her.

I’m all keyed up right now, and moderately drunk. I love this job. I love lifting weights. I love you all. Thank you to everyone who reads and comments on this log of lifting and occasional tales of bouncing mayhem.

3 Likes

Quite a time last night. Glad you’re ok. Happy Thanksgiving.

Awww… too bad about dander girl, but the rest sounds hilarious. Happy Thanksgiving!

Had to finally jump in here - love the tales of lifting and mayhem. Noted the drop off in logging since the new gym. Hope that means you are gaining lots of new knowledge in lifting. Also envious of the new facility - wish I had availability to that, but fearing I’m not yet worthy. Being a financial analysis guy by day I also relate to the satisfaction of daily problem solving in that environment.
Rock strong and happy thanksgiving, keep inspiring us all.

@biker Thank you! Apparently some customers complained about the bouncing staff that night. I feel like we handled things well, and all of the complaints were from very drunk customers who don’t seem to like the sight of blood pouring from the faces of their friends. The bottom line is that we removed every involved motherfucker from the premises, no innocents were hurt and all of the force used by us was in self-defense.

People will always find something to bitch about, especially when their friends get hauled out of the bar against their will and also get beaten into a pulp. You just can’t make everyone happy in those kind of situations! On a related note, I had several people come up to me that night to thank me for watching over the bar. It really made me feel good. Bouncing may not be the most noble profession, but I do take pride in watching over all of the people who come to my bar. I find it both instinctive and satisfying. It just comes naturally to me. I hate motherfuckers and love good people, and there is an abundance of good people who come through my door to have a fun evening.

@ChickenLittle Thanks to you as well. I’m genuinely happy for dander girl. She is a lovely young lady and a lot of fun to flirt with, but not the type I’d want to get serious with. Besides, she’s going to keep being a big flirt. I think her new boyfriend already realizes this fact. I’ve always seen it as harmless fun and I hope her new man can see it that way as well. She has a good heart and I’d like to see her do well for herself.

@dhoke231 Thanks for stopping in, but I remember you jumping in some time ago. This isn’t your first post in my log of lifting, although I may have changed the title on you a few years ago. My drop-off in logging has nothing to do with the new gym and everything to do with life. I’m really hoping to get back to lifting 4 days/week next week, and I think I will. I’d also like to comment on your belief that you aren’t worthy. The owner of the strength club explained his idea of “worthiness” to me, and I think it is spot-on. I’m paraphrasing here, but it went something like this…

You need to be serious about your lifting. You need to be respectful of the place and the people who lift here. That’s about it.

So the “worthiness” comes not from any specific feat you can perform, but rather from your attitude about yourself, your attitude towards others and your attitude towards training. That’s why I like him and that’s why I like where I lift. I’m also very humbled to know that you find my antics inspiring. If you want to discuss worthiness, I could make a very strong case for why I am unworthy of such praise. I’m just a dude who does a few things well.

Lifting resumes tomorrow, and I can’t wait to get back under the bar.

1 Like

Tuesday 11/29/16

BW 274

5/3/1 Cycle 1 - 1’s week

Bench Press - TM 285

105x8
145x5
195x3
215x5 set 1
240x3 set 2
270x7 set 3 (PR)
235x10

Chest-supported Rows

1 plate for 10
2 plate for 10
3 plate for 3 sets of 10

SSB Squats - TM 385

155x5
245x3
285x5 set 1
325x3 set 2
365x5 set 3

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

Notes: My partner is having SI joint problems, so he’s taking a break from squatting and deadlifting for a while. He managed 270x8 on bench today. I am very pleased with today’s money sets.

Here’s today’s SSB work.

Thursday 12/1/16

BW 276

5/3/1 Cycle 1 - 1’s week

Deadlift - TM 550

135x5
225x5
315x3
415x5 set 1
475x3 set 2
525x4 set 3

Press - TM 195

95x8
115x5
135x3
145x5 set 1
165x3 set 2
185x5 set 3 (PR)
135x8

Pull-Ups

5 sets of 5

FacePulls supersetted with Tricep Pushdowns

3 sets of 12 each

20 kettlebell swings

Notes: No partner today. I tried to move as fast as I could and got all of this done in just over 40 minutes, including an urgent dump between my last two sets of deadlifts. I need to crack the whip a little more with my partner I think. The sweat hasn’t been pouring enough lately.

I don’t see a need to deload next week with all of the two day/week lifting I’ve been doing lately, so its right into cycle 2. Back to 4 day upper/lower.

I think 185x5 is a 2 rep PR for strict press, which pleases me greatly, especially considering how short my rest periods were today.

Those are good words and they fit well. Time to reconsider that position.

With/without a workout partner, I think I’d concentrate on the next bar confrontation/fight to get the sweat really moving.

And always defecate before deads.

@dhoke231 I agree, and I think you owe it to yourself to reconsider.

@biker I think we will need to wait for the next drunken out-of-towner to unload on, which may be a year or more. Area knuckleheads haven’t been lining up to fight me for a while now, and my partner has solidified his reputation as a man who means business when he’s working the door.

I had dinner there on Wednesday and last week’s brawl is still being talked about. I was even asked about it at my grown-up job this week. Word gets around in small Maine towns.

Oh no worries, New Year will be here soon. I am sure you will get a chance to practice your bouncing/ brawling skills before next Thanksgiving. :wink:

@ChickenLittle Oh I might pick up a shift over the holidays, see what kind of weirdos crawl out of the woodwork. Right now I’m not committed to anything until we have the blacklight party early next year.

Besides, I didn’t even need to punch anyone last week. I did lots of grabbing, a few holds and some shoving, but nobody came after me so I never swung. My partner got attacked and he punched the guy in the right in the face, took him to the ground and landed a few more. By the time I locked the dude up about 5-10 seconds later he was done, and I mean DONE. There was blood pouring from several spots on his face and he was completely dazed. I let his girlfriend clean him up in the restroom for a minute before suggesting they go to the hospital. He definitely left the bar well-informed on what sort of force a pair of stout bouncers can bring to bear on him.

I broke up a fight that started outside just after all that went down and neither of those guys wanted to argue with me. Then I went back in and set to work removing the remaining motherfuckers. The only guy who put up resistance was about 5’4" and 150 lbs. I just grabbed his arms, turned him around and started walking, giving the little twat a lesson in physics. It didn’t take him long to realize that he was being moved out the door whether he liked it or not. I have to admit, I love that shit.

I for one am looking forward to a peaceful, relaxing weekend with friends and family. I wish everyone else the same!

2 Likes

Monday 12/5/16

BW 277

5/3/1 Cycle 2 - 5’s week

SSB Squats - TM 395

155x5
245x5
295x5 set 1
315x5 set 2
335x7 set 3

Belt Squats

3 sets of 10

Kettlebell swings

3 sets of 20
1 set of 16

Notes: I’m getting sick. Definitely not feeling 100% today. Pretty crappy money set but I was pleased to try the belt squat machine. I can see that getting some use.

Partner is still taking a break from squats and deads, so he just did leg press and some other BB type stuff.

Here is today’s top set. Yep, I’m getting fatter. Not good.