Do Meatheads Dream of Iron Sheep?

Nothing like a weak gym expert.

“585 is now an any-day, all-day weight for me to pull” You omitted “strapless” from that. Great work here.

@2busy Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed the rant!

@ChickenLittle Thank you. Thanks to the power of food, I’ve been getting more of these lately. I need to get back to dropping fat, but getting stronger has been a pleasant change of pace.

@biker No kidding! Regarding the straps, I think I’m actually stronger without them. I’ve been using them on some sets for reps and they have been good sets, but it isn’t a night-and-day difference. Recent sets include 495x8 with straps, 495x7 without, and I don’t think being strapped was the difference there at all. I’m just so used to setting up without them and getting my air while standing up, and my grip has thankfully never been a limiting factor for me on much of anything. My only “must-strap” movement is a regular barbell row, where the straps take stress off of my twice-broken left wrist.

RANT PART II

I don’t like picking on people, but I’m going to pick on this asshole some more. I try to stay respectful and non-confrontational in the gym, but that guy really pissed me off yesterday. I’m done listening to him run his mouth without backing any of it up. If he wants to give me his opinion on my lifting again, he’s going to hear what I think about his dumb and ineffective methods. His big biceps and the lame scorpion tattoo on his neck might impress the chumps he hangs out with, but I know he’s nothing but hot air and a lot of talk.

He’s always shit on my methods and I’ve always smiled and nodded at him, humoring all of the stupid shit he’s said. Now that I’ve dropped a bunch of fat and am stronger than him by any conceivable measure, he DOUBLES DOWN on his idiocy instead of, I don’t know, shutting the fuck up and minding his own damn business. Here’s my recollection of some of his dumb fuck street hoodlum bullshit he’s spouted over the years.

Deadlifts make you fat.

I train to look good. You’re going to look like Brock Lesnar.

You should never squat a weight you can’t handle for 20 reps.

Deload weeks are for bitches.

I must have small testicles because I can do kettlebell swings, which he can’t do because he says his balls are too massive. His lack of hard work and abundance of talk thus makes him more masculine than me.

He can deadlift more than I can and do it silently, but he is unable to perform this in my presence or take a video on the phone he has with him at all times.

I’ve also never seen him perform a full-range bench press or a full-range squat with anything more than 135.

He also criticizes other people when they aren’t around. I’m sure he talks plenty of shit about me when I’m not around too.

We lift in a GYM. It has chalk, power cages and strong people who lift with intelligence and heart. Orange Circuit Fitness is right down the road motherfucker!

Incidentally, a powerlifting gym has opened in my town. We’re going to check it out soon. A change in venue might be beneficial to all.

1 Like

You are much more patient than I am. I would have already told him off! And possibly crammed a barbell up his ass by now. To the large testicle comment I would not have been able to refain. “I’m so sorry, it must suck having such big balls and such a small dick!” :wink:

Scorpion tattoo?
Comments about how large his package is?
Criticizing others accomplishments?

This guys breaking the inferiority complex test!

^I fully agree. Anyway with your workouts, a powerlifting gym should fit right in. Invite him to go with you guys.

@ChickenLittle I am still a bouncer, so being patient with assholes is second-nature.

@max13 I suspect you may be right. I can’t believe you find people like that in a gym, lifting weights!

@biker That dude wouldn’t set one foot inside a powerlifting gym! I also find it curious that he only had the guts to comment on my deadlift methods and noise when I was there by myself. The three of us REALLY make some racket on most Thursdays, yet he never felt the urge to tell the three strongest guys in the gym that they are lifting weights all wrong until now, when the two strongest guys were absent. Strange…

No lifting tonight. Much-needed massage instead! Happy weekend to all!

2 Likes

Strong squats and pulls @twojarslave.

I have a couple of suggestions on your bench. Your lower body set up looks very solid and you get plenty of leg drive. The issue I see is your upper body. You don’t look like you are tight.
I would recommend that after you get your hands set on the bar pull yourself up off the bench and pretend you are squeezing a quarter between your lats then reset on the bench. When you unrack the bar take it at arms length and lower it under control while thinking of bringing your chest up to meet the bar as you lower it.

Doing these things will keep you much tighter. You have the ability to bench well in excess of 315 if you can clear up these minor form issues in my opinion.

3 Likes

@DBasler Thank you VERY much. What you say makes sense, and I know I need to work harder on my bench technique. I will do exactly as you recommend tomorrow and get it on film!

Monday 10/3/16

BW 269

Squat

135x5
225x5
315x3
405x1
455x1
475x1
405x6
315x4

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

2 sets of 25

Notes: No partner today, he is recovering from some minor injuries. He should be back in action soon. I moved fast and kept things brief today, so I could do things that aren’t work or barbell-related.

475 felt great, I will be hitting that weight more often now.

Here’s today’s top set:

Tuesday 10/4/16

BW 269

Bench Press

95x8
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x1
295x1
315x1 (10lb PR)
225x12
225x10
225x9

Barbell Rows

135x10
225x10
275x8
275x8

Cable Circuit

Facepulls
Tricep Pushdowns
Curls

3 rounds no rest

@DBasler I did exactly as you described and I can’t say anything other than THANK YOU for helping me break into the three plate club, not to mention having the best bench workout of my life with 225! What a difference those cues made! I believe your “well in excess of 315” prediction is quite accurate.

My partner hit 315x3. Everyone’s getting stronger up in here! I’m excited to see what comes next for me and bench pressing. Today was a big breakthrough for me. Thank you again DBasler!

4 Likes

Much improved. Try to work on the cues on every rep. Obviously it is much easier to concentrate on how tight you are when you are handling 70% than when you are attempting a max.

You are on the right track and will keep improving as you get more work put in dialing in your form.

Good work. Keep it up. DBasler’s a good coach.

@biker I think it is interesting how certain cues work better than others for some people. This isn’t the first time I’ve tried to make my torso tighter on the bench, but the way DBasler told me to do it just flat-out worked better for me. A LOT better.

@DBasler I worked on the cues on every set yesterday, starting with the bar. I definitely felt my tightness degrade a bit when 315 settled in my hands, but I was still able to power it right up. I wouldn’t have even tried it if not for 275 and 295 feeling so damn light. I knew I had to go for it, and I’m glad I did. I was even tempted to try 325, but I decided to cash out with a 10 lb PR and hit the reps. It really was an “AHA” moment for me on a lift I’ve long struggled with. I feel fantastic today.

And you are right, of course. It is not like I mastered upper back tightness yesterday, so I’m really excited to put the work in, dial in my form and see what sort of rewards materialize. A drug-free four plate bench seems so much more attainable now, even though it is still a long ways off.

I’ve also made two other observations that tell me I’m doing something right.

1. I’m a different kind of sore than I’m used to being after a bench workout. I feel it in my front delts more, and my back is sore in a way that I don’t get from rows. I feel like I did a lot of work, which I suppose I did.

2. I was weaker on my rows yesterday than in previous weeks. I’d say the most obvious explanation is that I was using my back on my bench more. I think I was just more fatigued than I was accustomed to. This is a good sign to me.

Thank you again. This breakthrough is very exciting to me!

1 Like

Just be careful with your shoulders when doing 400+ benches. You’ll be entering a different level then.

The great coaching on here is truly “from the trenches”, but consider reading trusted sources about proper shoulder involvement in benching. I have two 50 something friends who benched 4 plates in their 30s; both exceptionally strong. These guys now purposely keep their benches around 350. One guy hasn’t had surgery but he talks about how much his shoulders hurt with 4 plate benches he was pushed into by workout partner. Other guy was ex Marine who eventually had successful shoulder surgery; I’ve since seen him do 405 without a spotter but he keeps his workouts around 350- 375.

@biker I’m probably a few years away from 400+ benches, but I’m always very mindful of my joints when lifting. That’s not going to change as I get stronger!

Thursday 10/6/16

BW 271

Deadlift

135xMany
225x5
315x3
405x3
495x1
545x1
585x1
545x4 (1 rep PR)

Leg Press

200x20
290x20
380x20
470x20
560x20
650x15

Notes: The other bouncer wanted my shift, so I ended up not working and somehow drinking 8 beers last night. The positive side of this is that pulling an easy 585 with a hangover and little sleep confirms that I can pull six plates on a whim with no adverse impacts on my recovery. My rep PR with 545 was also done without straps, more-or-less confirming that I am better at pulling without them. Its all in the setup.

My partner PR’d with a LOOOOONG grinder pull, hitting 585 for the first time in his life. He then goes and reps out 495x10 afterwards. Our third puller didn’t have the best day, failing 585 and only getting 495 for two. His heart just wasn’t in it today.

Here’s what a very routine 585 looks like now.

2 Likes

“This weight means nothing to you, Andy.”

I love your training partner.

That was super fast. Coulda repped it. Great job!

@kpsnap Thanks. I think I might have to rep six plates soon. Now you’re putting ideas into my head!

Friday 10/7/16

BW 270

Press

95x5
115x5
135x3
155x1
185x1
205x1
185x3
155x8
135x10

Pullups

One set of 8
Five sets of 5

Dips

Five sets of 5

Lat PD

3 sets of 12

Facepulls

3 sets of 12

Tricep Pushdowns

3 sets of 12

Kettlebell swings

Notes: No partner today, got out of work early. Get in, do work, get out, start weekend!

Monday 10/10/16

Three days ago I received an invite to train at a local strength club that opened a few months ago. This is a private club, not a gym open to the public. I met the owner tonight and I am officially switching gyms for the first time in my life. So is my partner. I am no longer among the strongest of lifters at my gym. I’m not even close. This place is incredible. I feel so fortunate to have this opportunity. It is hard to describe how excited I am.

Of course, both my partner and I showed up ready to train…

Squat

135x5
225x5
315x3
405x1
455x1
475x1
405x6
315x12

Leg Press

3 sets of 15, forgot the weight

Leg Curls

3 sets of 15

Notes: My partner and I both had strong workouts with a lot of very strong eyes on us. I was pretty nervous but I had good sets and strong fast singles. My partner hit an easy single for 495 and then rocked out 455 for 9 and 315 for 15.

This place is a dream come true. I now have 24/7 access to a facility with…

A whole lot over very, very strong people lifting there. I also met a bodybuilder guy who was 245 with abs. I’m pretty sure he was a strong fellow too.
Two brand-new ELITE FTS Full Power cages, one with the pullup bars built in.
Two brand-new ELITE FTS Monolifts.
Two brand-new ELITE FTS Bench Presses
Two deadlift platforms with grippy floors and shit.
A sumo-deadlift bar and a conventional deadlift bar.
A Safety Squat Bar!!!
All kinds of other bars. Bars are everywhere at this gym! Bars of all types and they are ALL NICE!!!
Everything has its own plates!!! Each power cage has 10 plates right there, plus an assortment. Each mono has many, many weights. Plates all OVER THE PLACE!!!
An AWESOME leg press. I used it tonight, it felt SOOO much better. Much more vertical. Fantastic stuff. Of course, it had its own plates!
Full pair of Cables
A few key machines - ham curls, leg extensions, Lat PD, preacher curl seat.
One of those belted squat contraptions. Not sure what you really call it.
Bunch of kettlebells up to 50, plus I’m parking my 88 there too.
A great DB area with two sets up to 100, really nice benches and all of the basic stuff I’ll ever need.
Other stuff I’m missing, incline bench, decline, other stuff.

Oh and while my partner and I went through our usual squat workout the home team was peaking for a meet in three weeks. So we got to see quite a few 600 and 700 pound squats, which was a nice change of scenery if you ask me.

I can’t really describe how happy I am to be able to train here. This is such an incredible environment with incredible lifters and incredible equipment.

I will need to step up my game!

3 Likes

This is very exciting news. I cycled around trash gyms for years. When you find a gem, you treasure it. My gym is similar in that it has all the toys as well as really skilled and knowledgeable lifters to go along with it.

Killer! I suspect it wasn’t a random invite, congrats.

Didn’t see a body weight today, suspect that will continue to go down, but won’t be an issue lifting with the big boys.

Nice job Andy.

I’m jealous. So, when’s your first meet?