Do Meatheads Dream of Iron Sheep?

@paules We’ll see, we’re nowhere near significant other status yet. Besides, I think I’m doing a pretty good job keeping myself on-track. I am a big believer in disconnecting your personal training success from that of others, and that mindset has been keeping me consistent enough to drive progress. It is up to me to get it done, period.

@biker I appreciate the comment, and it touches on a few things that have been on my lifting mind lately. Staying healthy is a priority, and it brings into question the wisdom of pulling 585 so soon after another heavy pull. I thought about this as I was working up yesterday, and I’d probably get more benefit out of hitting the reps harder and forgetting about the heavy single.

All that being said, I just fucking like picking heavy shit up. It pleases me.

High rep strength vs one rep strength has also been on my mind, and that of my partner as well. Prior to lifting with me, his heaviest set was 505x4, and he never loaded the bar heavier than that for a single during a decade plus of off-and-on training. I gently whispered Wendler’s magic words of “one top set, pushed for max reps” into his ear, and he’s suddenly able to do things like bang out 495x10 AFTER PR’ing with 575 and then failing a 600 pound pull.

This tells me a few things. He built up the ABILITY to do that without ever having performed that specific feat, or really even anything approximating it. I find that amazing. It also speaks to the importance of skill and mental conditioning when you decide to start testing your strength with heavy singles. Simply stated, I’ve spent a lot more time than he has with 545 and up in my hands, and I think that explains why I out-perform him on these feats, while he continues to smoke me when it comes to doing the real rep work.

I’ve plugged the best set I’ve seen from him, which was 495x12, into some 1RM calculators. They all project him to be a 650 lb+ deadlifter, and I think he is a lot closer to achieving that than most people who currently have a 575 max. I believe it is simply a matter of spending more time with heavy weight in his hands.

This is all fascinating to me, and instructive as well. There are different kinds of strong!

3 Likes

Cool post - have been thinking a lot about this myself as well (i.e. evaluating my single-rep deadlift strength vs my repetition strength). Completely agree that picking up heavy weights repeatedly lends itself more to top-end strength.

Real analysis, right there.

That’s the right attitude for 600+ deadlifts. You’re getting there mentally.

1 Like

@ActivitiesGuy When in doubt, keep things simple!

@biker I appreciate it. My brain is definitely a lot less fucked than it used to be.

Friday 7/29/16

BW 267

Press

95x8
115x5
135x3
155x3
175x5
155x8
135x10
135x8

Fat Boy Pullups

Sets of…

10 (PR)

Or something really close to that.

Cable Circuit

Facepulls
Pulldowns
Curls

3 sets

Notes: I got out of work early and my partner was showing up just as I was finishing up. I’m happy with today’s efforts. My partner and I are talking about switching things up next week. The idea is to do vanilla 5/3/1 on our big lifts, 2 assistance exercises for 3 sets each and then hit conditioning a lot harder. Let’s see if we can put it into action.

Here’s today’s top set:

Nice work! I did presses today, but I don’t think they looked like that. :smirk:

I cheered for you as I was watching the video just like your partner does!!!

@ChickenLittle Thanks! I’m sure your presses look just fine. I certainly don’t consider myself very good at them, but I sure do try.

@countrygirl2016 I appreciate it. I wish my partner could follow me around outside of the gym, yelling at me like he did in my squat video the other week.

“C’mon Andy. Load that washing machine. Put the clothes in. There you go. Now go empty that dishwasher. C’mon. C’MON!!! Send those bills in. DON’T QUIT! Write the check and put it in the envelope. Go go go go go! Don’t take your shopping cart down the beer aisle. Just go checkout. C’MON!!! Good job.”

1 Like

HAHAHA that’s hilarious!!! Sounds like a nagging woman when it’s not being done in the gym :grimacing:

@countrygirl2016 Yes, I suppose you’re right. Getting those things done just doesn’t have the same sense of urgency when you are a bachelor!

Monday 8/1/16

BW 269

Squat

135x5
225x5
315x3
405x1
455x1
405x4

Leg Press

3 sets of 470x10

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

5 sets of 20

Notes: I woke up stuffy, sneezy and slept like crap after mostly eating like crap all weekend. 455 was the worst 455 has ever felt and my top set was pretty weak. No worries, though. Just a bad day for me…

But not for my partner. He managed 405x15. Unreal.

Here’s today’s top set. Rep 4 was a grinder alright.

2 Likes

It’s hard to believe your a bachelor Mr.!! I hope you feel better soon.

@countrygirl2016 Thanks, but I still feel like crap. I took the day off from work. I told myself I was going to do some benching in my basement gym, but I didn’t. I think I will make out okay though.

When it comes the the plausibility of my bachelorhood, I suppose some perspective is necessary. I’ve been lifting seriously for over three years, but I was quite fat for most of that time, in addition to being in a committed relationship. I think most people who know me just thought I was another delusional fat guy going through a gym phase, dreaming dreams of being something I’d never be.

I managed to build up some muscle during that time. Now that I’ve been having success with shedding fat, the results are, well, unusual. Most fat guys who’ve been fat for a long time don’t suddenly drop fat and look like they lift, so I suppose I am a bit unusual in that regard. I’m not even particularly lean yet, but I’m still getting asked about what sort of drugs I’m on.

That last part speaks to how low most people’s expectations are, and how little the general public knows about what you can achieve with basic strength training and better diet. I take it as a compliment, even if it wasn’t intended as such.

These last few months have actually been a lot for me to process. I’m still the same guy I’ve always been, just with a different body that is still changing at a good clip. It is sort of like a second puberty, and I sometimes feel just as awkward as I did when I was a teenager.

At the end of the day my body is just a reflection of what I do, just like everyone else’s. When it comes to relationships, I am a man who knows what I want, and I haven’t crossed paths with any women who fit that bill yet. My values seem to have gone out-of-style, but not entirely. I will bide my time until I cross paths with wife and mother material, and then break out all of the stops!

1 Like

I hope you feel better fast! I was feeling the same way and it lasted for a week or more.

Soooo I think I can relate a little to what your going through. When I was in school and a little after, probably 19ish I was an awkward nerdy girl. I knew nothing about makeup and my style was out of style. I was such a tomboy who dreamed of dating the popular football guys. I never went on a date or even been kissed just dreamed. I decided that I wanted to be more girly so I straightened my hair, learned how to use makeup, and got some figure friendly clothes. I had guys come to my work asking me out and bringing me flowers. I enjoyed being the popular girl for once but it also hurt because I was the same nerdy girl just changed how I looked. The way you look does change people’s mind about you!! I am not saying I’m a bombshell but it was enough to get guy’s to want to get to know me. It was crazy because I ran into one of those football players I had a crush on and he definitely took notice. When I think about it my feelings are still hurt but I just smile and thank them for the compliments.

Anyways you are going to have many people take notice as you progress more and more. You seem like you have a funny but caring personality and when you add a gym body it makes you more desirable. You do not have to be shredded just the fact that you lift and care about your body is a huge plus. I like to know I’m with a guy who can protect me not that it’s necessary but it feels good. I love that your still true to who you are and don’t plan on settling. I’m sure you have more ladies interested then you realize!

Be proud of the progress no one thought they would see from you. Remember the unsupportive ones and shower them with extra kindness so they internally regret their negativity. Always be you no matter what changes on the outside because you seem pretty amazing!! I’m excited to see more from you and hopefully make a bigger transition myself.

TwoJarSlave: I would think your mind would be your greatest commodity. You’ve got a really good one. Of course, having a pleasing physical exterior certainly only adds to the appeal!

1 Like

@kpsnap This isn’t the first time you’ve told me that, and I appreciate the compliment just as much the second time around. I’ve always been a “smart guy”, at least in the sense that I did well on standardized tests, and understood most new concepts easily. I just did a lot of dumb things. Taking up lifting has helped me improve my mindset tremendously, and not simply for the purposes of moving greater weights or improving my health.

I believe these barbell lessons that have bled into other areas of my life are the best “gains” I’ve had from lifting. Being stronger mentally changes how I perform at work and how I conduct myself day-in, day-out. Being physically stronger gives me the confidence to say what’s on my mind and stand by those statements. I called in sick again today, because I am, so I’ve got plenty of time to drink tea and type. I’ll share an example from the other day.

I went to grab dinner at the bar I work at (beefsteak with grilled veggies and huge side of steamed veggies). It was mostly empty except for a friendly regular gal who is friends with the bartender. She usually just hangs out and drinks soda. There was also a bombastic late 40’s dude with a strong buzz on at 6pm. He didn’t realize I knew the gal or that I was a bouncer there, so he starts right into bragging about how he tried to get my friend to go home with him by giving her a surprise slap on the ass. I wasn’t worried for the gal, she can handle herself fine, but it was just a springboard into the rest of the word vomit that he subjected me to.

I sat and listened to him brag about how him and a prosecutor buddy of his would find prostitutes and then coerce them into free “services” under threat of arrest. I listened to him brag about how he lived with prostitutes when he was stationed somewhere in Asia, and how they managed to live for free. He was even under the delusion that these girls really liked him. Who knows, maybe they did. And of course he had to go into how much of a badass he is, even though he just looked like an old guy who probably golfs twice a month for exercise.

I’m not sure why he was so eager to let me know he was such a sleazeball. I guess he thought I was one of his good 'ol boys, who thinks its okay to take advantage of other people, because he sure buddied right up to me.

I just told him that I don’t know anything about taking advantage of other people like that, and I didn’t think it sounded like much fun at all. The conversation ended right there.

Maybe I could have gotten away with saying that when I was fat and out-of-shape, but I think it would have been just as likely to start a fight. Three years ago I probably wouldn’t have had the balls to say what I meant in the first place. I suppose being a bar bouncer has gotten me used to dealing with assholes, and I have to admit that I enjoy it at times.

Long story short, lifting weights has really been great!

@countrygirl2016 Thanks for taking the time to write out those kind and wise words! It was a real pleasure to wake up and read that. You have “quality woman” written all over you.

I was up late last night too, and this was going on outside at 2am. Maine is great! Lobster Fest starts today too, so I should get more than adequate protein this weekend!

3 Likes

Thursday 8/4/16

BW 265 (PR)

Deadlift

135xbunch
225x5
315x5
405x3
495x7 (PR)
495x1
495x1
495x1
495x1
405x5

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

1 set of 60 (PR)

Notes: PR trifecta today. Scale weight PR. Five plate rep PR. Kettlebell hell PR. I’m pleased with all of that, but after watching my top set I’m realizing that my deadlift form has deteriorated over the years. Nothing horrible, but I want to put more work into flattening out on my set-up. Partner did a lot of singles and technique work today. He really wants to make the switch to pure conventional. On that note, we agreed to do a lot more technique work next week.

Here’s today’s top set.

1 Like

Congratulations on the PR trifecta!

What do you mean by “pure conventional?”

And regarding DL form, are you referring to a bit of hitching (supporting the bar) on the final reps?

Thanks kpsnap!

Bring his feet and hands in closer. He’s always deadlifted halfway between sumo and a stance like mine. Similar to WSM Brian Shaw, actually. My partner has obviously had success with this, but he feels like he can get more leg drive coming closer in. I think he wants to start going heavy, even though we stayed light today. He pulled a very easy 545 the first time going closer-in, compared to a lifetime PR of 575 with his usual stance. He’s a smart lifter, so he’s just giving something a shot. He’s strong like bull no matter how he pull.

Nope that doesn’t worry me. I hitch like that quite a bit. As long as I feel the bar moving up and my body feels good, I keep pulling.

What I want to do is just stick my butt out a bit more on my setup to flatten out more, and see if it feels or performs any better. My pulls feel fantastic right now, especially with the belt, so I’m by no means in panic mode. Like my partner, I’m just giving something a shot.

I felt bad for the kid who walked up to the flat bench right when I was getting ready to pull. There’s not a lot of good spots to deadlift there, but we try to be considerate. This poor kid got spit on a bit during my top set, so I apologized to him right afterwards. He was very gracious about the whole event.

Nice job man … 5 dishes for 7 reps is amazing. Re: the wide conventional deadlift stance, typically used by big-bellied lifters as it allows the belly to drop between the legs for an easier setup. See: Donnie Thompson, Mike Ruggiera

The problem with the wide conventional is that it results in an increased ROM. But maybe it is the only option for larger bellied individuals. And hitching is okay unless you want to compete. Then it’s verboten.

I just wanted to say that I did the same thing with my hands when I had to get the hair out of the shower drain today at work … :confounded:

Great lifting!

P.S. Nice tan lines! Hope you’re feeling better.