Do Meatheads Dream of Iron Sheep?

Wednesday 7/27/16

BW ???

Well I did one set of curls yesterday at the hotel gym before I decided that moving my upper body was too painful to do anything worthwhile in the “fitness center”. The Florida sun managed to join forces with my Northern European heritage and two for one rum and cokes, teaching me a lesson in the value of sunscreen.

I did a LOT of walking and plenty of niece throwing in the pool, so it was a pretty active stay. I am expecting mid 260s on the scale tomorrow. Ready to get back at it!

1 Like

As a pasty white guy myself, I’m down with this business.

Seems they do self dander checking in Florida…

1 Like

HAHAHAHA HILARIOUS :joy:

Damn! Don’t you just hate that when it happens…:confused:

@Canada_K I think their sun is different from our sun. It might explain why Florida has so much malevolent craziness, while places like Maine and Canada usually have a more benign type of craziness

@2busy Even though she exudes pure class, she is obviously a rank amateur. Tactile verification is an imperative, if one wants to make certain there is no unwanted dander.

@countrygirl2016 There’s nothing funny about unwanted dander.

@ChickenLittle I think that beach was in a different retirement community than the one I was in.

Back on the topic of muscle and strength and lowering levels of fatness, I decided to fit in with the locals and try the whole “suns out guns out” for the first time since taking up lifting. This was before I was foolish enough to expose my shoulders to an hour of direct sunlight. I have oozing blisters on my shoulders now, what joy!

My lovely baby niece was clearly impressed.

4 Likes

@twojarslave She is so sweet and cute!!!
…and your arm muscle looks amazing. Love that picture!

Aww thanks @countrygirl2016!

And for the record, that particular niece was NOT the one I was chucking through the air in the pool. I also have 5 and 6 year-old nieces, both of whom are very good swimmers.

I was also fortunate enough to meet a long-lost relative at this gathering, who brought a treasure trove of old pictures. Here’s one of my badass grandfather during WWII. I’m proud to be descended from this stock!

2 Likes

Nice pic! That shit will look good when the blisters go away :smirk: Maybe next time soak your T shirt in strong tea and put it on till it dries. (Before it blisters) :slight_smile:

That’s back when men were men. I have nothing but respect for each and everyone of those men who fought for us. You know they had to be scare shitless, and give it all that had in spite of it.

2 Likes

@twojarslave I didn’t think that would be the one you were throwing HA. I’m happy your having fun.
That picture of your grandfather is awesome. He is definitely a strong man and the grin on his face makes him look like a fearless badass!!! That means a lot to see pictures like this. I have a collection of old military pictures and letters that remind me of what true sacrifice is. My military experience was without a doubt nothing close to those days. I enjoy listening to older people talk about the younger days and how life was. Makes us look like spoiled bitches!

@ChickenLittle your comment on the grandfather picture was completely accurate! I wish more people would have those thoughts of respect for them. I would hate to know what that generation would think about how today’s world is.

2 Likes

Brah, yer jacked! Enjoy Floriduh!

@ChickenLittle There won’t be a next time. I’m never exposing myself to Florida sun without sunscreen EVER AGAIN. On the subject of The Greatest Generation, well, I think it is worthwhile to remind myself that I am descended from better men, and aspire to conduct myself accordingly.

@countrygirl2016 My grandfather was definitely a fearless badass. When he wasn’t fighting the Nazi’s, he was raising five children, all of whom went on to achieve great things. It is easy to admire a fighting man, but I think his greatest achievements were born out of all of the small things he did day-in, day-out to make the world a better place for everyone else. I should remind myself of this more often.

@The_Myth “Jacked” wouldn’t be the word I would choose to describe myself, but I appreciate the compliment. I’m back in Maine now, ready to resume the quest for a stronger, healthier body and a stronger, healthier mind.

1 Like

@countrygirl2016 I also wanted to add that, while you may have not fought the Nazi’s, you signed up to do whatever was asked of you. Just like my grandfather did, and everyone else who has put on the uniform. You all have my deepest respect.

3 Likes

@twojarslave you are an alright guy :wink: I am impressed not only by the drive you have when working out but your post tell a lot about your great personality! Thank you for your comment.

Beefy…

And ANOTHER fun thing about sun exposure and aging, is the potential scalp sunburns due to thinning hair! If I’m hanging out in the sun I always wear a hat. Even when I’m swimming. Whenever we go on a beach holiday I usually have to throw out the hat that went with me into the pool/ocean.

Title suggestion for your next log: “The Dander Chronicles”…don’t hate me for being that obvious guy…

@countrygirl2016 You are most welcome and thank you for the kind words!

@Canada_K Yes, I think “beefy” is appropriate, given my current state. I’m like a well-marbled ribeye. My hair sure isn’t getting any thicker, but there was thankfully enough coverage to prevent my scalp from being scorched like my shoulders. Got a bit red up in the farthest reaches of my hairline, but that’s it!

@punnyguy I will keep that one in consideration, but the current log title stays until I get out of the dramatic fat loss phase of my lifting career. Let’s see if I’m still bouncing on the side when that’s done with.

Thursday 7/28/16

BW 266

Deadlift

135x5
225x5
315x3
405x1
495x1
545x1
585x1
455x8

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

5 sets of 20

Notes: I am pleased with today’s effort and pleased to come out of vacation at a lower scale weight. My partner, still new to pure conventional stance, pulled 545 easily. He couldn’t clear his knees on a second attempt at 545 though. Afterwards he banged out 455x10.

I also forgot to put the clip on one side of my 585 pull, which threw me off-balance a bit as the plates came close to sliding off. No blood no foul though.

Here’s 585x1

And here’s 455x8

4 Likes

Cool. My best relationships were with my fellow martial artists when I was doing that sort of thing as a younger man. Nothing helps keep a weight lifter on track better than a signficiant other also lifts.

Good videos and great work. Doing 455 x 8 indicates you could probably pull some exceptionally heavy one rep deadlifts. Can probably do that bouncing job with one arm. Stay healthy.