Do Meatheads Dream of Iron Sheep?

Oh boy! Another exciting episode of The Dander Chronicles. You are such a humanitarian to offer your holistic services to a young lady in need.

Your colorful life continues.

Yes. You and Chicken Little have cornered the market on interesting logs.

@ChickenLittle I believe the key to being a good bouncer is to always be a gentleman, and so far it is working out well. The real appeal of the work lies in all of the unusual situations you find yourself in, where all you can do is run with it. As the man in my avatar was fond of saying, buy the ticket, take the ride.

@biker Well it sure doesn’t feel that way today, but I am tasked with solving a particularly tedious problem at my real job. Things only seem to get colorful on Wednesday nights.

@kpsnap It is good to know that people are still interested in reading tales of sex and violence. Some things never go out of style.

Bahahaaa… I think you maybe on to something here. Ever thought of writing a book? You could call it… How To Get Paid, To Get Laid. Might be a bestseller. :flushed:

Well if I keep doing this job for a few more years, which I most likely won’t, I might have the body of knowledge to write a book about bouncing and flirting on the job that is worth reading.

At present I could probably write a comprehensive tome on different ways to eat cheese, and lots of it. I’m not sure I’d consider myself an authority on too many other subjects.

Besides, there isn’t really too much to the whole flirting on the job thing when you’re a bouncer. I’m essentially a greeter, among other things, so I have an opportunity to tastefully compliment all of the unaccompanied ladies who come to the bar, and politely wish them a pleasant evening. Sometimes nothing happens when I do this. Sometimes something happens. I haven’t gotten slapped yet, so I suppose it really is that simple.

Like I said, the key is to ALWAYS be a gentleman.

2 Likes

Thursday 7/14/16

BW 269

Deadlift

135x5
225x5
315x3
405x3
495x1
545x1
575x1
600x1 (15lb PR!!!)
495x2

Okay that’s enough deadlifting I guess.

Kettlebell swings

4 sets of 20
1 set of 2

Notes: FINALLY!!!

My back told me to shut it down on the last set of swings, so I did. Partner got 575, a 30lb PR for him. He couldn’t break 600 off the floor, but somehow banged out 495x10 afterwards compared to my 495x2. There’s different kinds of strong, that’s for sure!

2 Likes

Outstanding work! That pulled up quick, without all the seizure/spazz theatrics I often see on max efforts.

Outstanding!!!

Now I have to nail my measly 500 this weekend.

Under 270, pulled 600, sounds like you gad a pretty good day! Congratulations!

That actually looked easy.

@bigjeff68 Thanks bro. I wouldn’t quite call that my max, nor do I have any plans to see what my max is in the near future. I’m not a fan of those shaky pulls either, not when I’m the one doing them anyway. 600 was just a number I’ve wanted to hit for a while, so I waited until the conditions were right for me to attempt it. It wasn’t my prettiest pull ever, but it went up!

@ActivitiesGuy Thanks man. 500 didn’t seem measly yesterday, and it sure as hell didn’t feel measly the first time I did it. Get it done and get a better cameraman than mine when you do it!

@ChickenLittle Yes it was a good day, and I’m still riding high. I also put a pair of jeans on this morning that I haven’t worn since last Friday, and they feel way looser, even though the scale hasn’t moved much. #fatlossmysteries

@biker I think I’m good for 700. That’s what I’m going to be telling myself for the next few years, anyway.

It has been a while since I’ve been the recipient of awful unsolicited advice, but I suppose it is unsurprising that I got some yesterday after pulling 600lbs in a packed gym. Apparently I was foolish to do so many reps leading up to 600. I used up too much energy on 135 and 225. 575 was just a waste of time, and I could have pulled way more if I hadn’t been so dumb.

The guy who told me this was about 400 pounds. He had just achieved a 315 pound deadlift that I personally witnessed, and he nearly fell over with it after losing his balance and taking three steps backwards with the bar in his hand. His training style is to do reps one week and test his max the next.

I tried to politely explain my thought process with how I work up to a heavy single, and explained that every rep from 495 on was a way of figuring out if I should continue to add weight, or drop the plan and just bang out reps instead. I tried to explain the difference between testing strength and building strength. All nonsense, apparently. He’s clearly on his way to being the next Eddie Hall, and will undoubtedly soon join the elusive 1xBW deadlift club.

I’ve been dumb enough to give bad advice before, but nothing quite like that. You gotta wonder what’s going through someone’s head when they do that.

2 Likes

They think they’re awesome and want to share it, lol

I’ve been enjoying your videos. Do you and your training partner have any competition plans?

Two fascinating angles here:

1. I’ll (silently) judge people sometimes, but I’ve become much more understanding that just because you’re watching someone work out does not mean you understand their particular purpose or goal in that workout. Sometimes I just work up to a few deadlift singles at 315 and then go home. I can easily imagine someone watching, who does not know my purpose in the gym that day, leaving and thinking “Hm, that guy could only deadlift 315?” You just don’t know what every person in the gym is really up to in a given workout.

2. Kidding about bad gym advice aside, the “how much to warm up” thing fascinates me. It seems like just a good practice for anyone, even an 800-pound deadlifter, to take at least one cursory set (even just a single or double) with each new set of wheels on the bar (135, 225, 315, etc). I understand that the 90-pound jump is proportionally less for an 800-pound deadlifter than a 500-pound deadlifter, but still, I’d like to think that a few extra reps at 135 or 225 will not harm your chances if hitting that top-end lift.

@2busy Yep I think that nails it. It also explains why getting a lot stronger than you used to be is a humbling experience for most people. That’s why I’ve learned to only offer my opinion on things that I’ve had at least one year of experience with, along with having success to go with the experience.

@kpsnap Thanks. I remember when you mentioned your whorish penchant for watching other people lift back when I first started my log a few years ago. Its okay, I’m the same way. As far as competition goes, the answer is yes. I want to compete as a middleweight strongman next April at the Central Maine Strongman event. If I find myself enjoying it, I will click “buy” on my saved shopping cart items on the Rogue fitness website, and my training will take on a new shape. My partner has no plans of competing. A powerlifting meet isn’t out of the question either, but it wouldn’t be something I would specifically train for. I’d just show up and see how I do.

@ActivitiesGuy I agree 100%. For me, 135 and 225 for 5 don’t take anything out of me at all. If I really wished to pursue 1RM’s, I’d probably follow the advice of people who are good at that. For what I was attempting yesterday, the idea was to stick with weights I was familiar with, and gauge my comfort and performance on each pull. And yes, I’ve learned you can’t really glean too much about a lifter from simply witnessing a single workout. So many variables are in play.

I should probably do some work today…

1 Like

Friday 7/15/16

BW 270

Press

95x8
115x5
135x5
155x5
165x5
135x10

Pull Ups

5 sets of 5

Cable Circuit

Facepulls
Tricep pushdowns
Curls

3 rounds no rest

Lateral Raises and bands

Notes: No partner tonight. Made things fast, have to bounce drunks tonight.

1 Like

Mnday 7/18/16

BW 269

Squat

135x5
225x5
315x1
405x1
315x16 (PR)

Leg Press

3 sets of 520x10

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

6 sets of 20

Notes: Partner got a PR of 22. I was pleased to get a 1 rep PR, but once I watched the video it was clear that I totally bitched out. The strength was there to move the bar 4 more times. What was missing was the will to do it.

Here’s today’s top set (couldn’t get it uploaded in HD, unfortunately):

And here’s my partner rocking out 315x22.

2 Likes

Awesome! Great sets!

Bet that workout really affected your appetite. Good work.