Do Meatheads Dream of Iron Sheep?

Also, did you really ever start wearing more black for that pretty lady?

I’ve been picturing a freak-strong, Goth dude.

@bulldog9899 If I am, can I still call myself a Hoosier? Otherwise, all I can tell you is that…

“It’s the basic condition of life to be required to violate our own identity.”

-Philip K. Dick

@FlatsFarmer

Yes, more black is in the wardrobe. I’ve never had what I call a goth look, although I had shoulder-length hair and a big ol’ bushy biker beard until a few weeks ago. When I would pull it back and wear black dress shirts and dark grey slacks people told me I looked like Steven Segal. But I’m pretty sure he’s fatter than I am now, probably making bad music in a cave somewhere.

The hair is now short and the beard is neatly trimmed. I’m still bouncing on the side, and now I need to deal with not having such a menacing appearance. This is really alright by me, since this clean-cut look has resulted in a LOT more female attention. I spend most of my bouncing shifts flirting with drunk girls 10 years younger than me and getting paid cash to do so. That job is awesome.

Generally speaking, I am still quite fat, but I suppose you could say I’m out of fat slob territory and into the Full House look. My pecs look like pecs when I’m wearing a shirt and they are more prominent than my belly, which is a marked improvement from peak fatness. I’ve got a decent set of traps and a pretty thick back, so I fill out shirts pretty well now. I’m digging it.

Someday I’ll get a smartphone or similar gadget so I can put up more video and maybe even a progress picture or two. I do have day 1 pictures saved from when I had this idea that I should probably start going to the gym. You know, so I wouldn’t die in my 50’s and stuff.

Until then, I really appreciate the support from everyone!

Well i guess I can give you a pass and not retire you…lol

Friday 6/10/16

BW 276

Press

95x8
115x5
135x5
155x5
165x5

DB Incline

3 sets of 65x10

Pullups

1 set of 5
10 sets of 3

Facepulls

5 sets of 10

supersetted with…

Cable Curls

5 sets of 10

Cable Flyes

3 sets of 10

supersetted with…

Tricep extension with the cable machine where you pull it over your head

3 sets of 10

20 min sauna
10 min hot tub

Monday 6/13/16

BW 278

Squat

135x5
225x5
315x1 paused
365x1 paused
405x1 paused (PR)
315x15

Leg Press

3 sets of 570x10

Stiff Leg DL

5 sets of 135x10

Notes: Previous best paused squat was 365. 405 was pretty easy, definitely good for more. I like knowing that I thoroughly own that weight. Once again I had more strength left on my work set, but I wimped out and racked the bar after 15. I just wanted that bar off of my back. Partner got 20 with no belt.

Congratulations on the PR!

@ChickenLittle Thanks! It was kind of a “gimme” PR, but it was still 40 pounds more than I’ve ever pause squatted, so I’ll take it!

Tuesday 6/14/16

BW 276

Bench Press

95x8
135x5
185x5
225x5
250x6
225x10
205x10
185x10

Kroc Rows

100x20
100x20
100x15

Cable circuit

3 rounds of…

Facepulls
Cable Curls
Tricep pushdowns

1 Like

Thursday 6/16/16

First bouncer fight. This event belongs in my log of weight lifting.

I followed a group of wasted knuckleheads outside to find King Shit Knucklehead pissing 3 feet away from the entrance. It was definitely one of the top five longest pisses I’ve ever witnessed, which was mildly impressive to me. Re-entry was denied, and several minutes of drunken babbling ensued.

I had this jackass halfway to his truck before he decided he wanted to get in my face. His two buddies squared up behind him and made it clear they had his back. I was by myself in the lot, so I backed myself into range of the video camera and let them know that they were on film. Quite a bit more drunken babble here as well.

Calm was achieved. No blows were thrown. Then it turns out that these dumb motherfuckers lost their keys. 30 minutes of mostly drunken babble ensued, with King Shit Knucklehead continuing to come back to the door while his buddies searched for the keys. I continued to send him back to the truck. Rinse, repeat.

On his last trip back to see me, a fellow who lifted at my gym for several months and lifted in prison for several years was having a smoke right next to me. King Shit Knucklehead then spoke some incredibly stupid words, issuing severe threats that he was altogether too drunk to even begin to carry out. He got punched and kicked by the gentleman from my gym, which was really a pretty reasonable response.

Then biker buddies of the only person I’ve actually seen do an overhead squat poured outside. We had several minutes of this dude getting beat on by four or five pretty stout bikers while I tried to peel them off of him. I kept yelling out “We don’t need a beatdown”. He got one, despite my best efforts, but I’ll give him credit on taking some serious punishment and standing back up for more. I don’t think he ever even tried to throw a punch, but he just kept running his mouth and getting in people’s faces.

The cops showed up five deep. They go right after all three knuckleheads. King Shit Knucklehead ended up assaulting a cop, earning a brutal take-down and four big cops pig-piling him. His buddy got picked up on a warrant. The truck owner was left standing, but never found his keys. He ended up walking down the street, leaving his truck in the lot.

I don’t have a scratch on me. The most violence I inflicted was a shove of King Shit Knucklehead that put him on the pavement. None of the bikers hit me and neither did their feisty women.

I drank a lot of free whiskey tonight, so it seemed like a good time to log a noteworthy event born from barbells.

I really like this job.

1 Like

Thursday 6/16/16

BW 273

Deadlift

135x5
225x5
315x5
405x1
455x1
495x1
545x1
495x4
405x10

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

5 sets of 25

Notes: I nearly shit myself on rep 3 of 495, which definitely cost me a rep or two. I felt great considering I was all keyed up last night, mildly drunk on whiskey and up until almost 4 am. Early bed tonight.

Bouncing must be a lot of fun.

This was the weirdest, most awesome thing I’ve read this morning. But then again I’ve been reading financial statements, and maintenance reports.

So I must say… duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

@biker Why yes, that job can be very exciting at times. It is also a good way to develop the skills of being patient and composed.

@Canada_K That sounds a lot like my day job. I’m a business analyst in charge of the ERP software at a mid-sized business. So I guess I like to squat, bounce drunks and deploy robust business software solutions. I’ll spend my afternoon patching up a hole in our intercompany settlement accounting rules. It is a somewhat interesting problem to solve, but not quite as interesting as figuring out how to stop a group of bikers from delivering an epic, life-altering beatdown to the biggest asshole I’ve recently met.

1 Like

Friday 6/17/16

BW 273

Press

95x8
115x5
135x5
145x5
155x5
165x4
135x12
115x10
115x10
95x10
95x10

Pull Ups

8 (PR)

Cable Circuit

Facepulls
Cable Curls
Tricep Pushdown

3 rounds no rest

Notes: Getting better at fat boy pullups.

Monday 6/20/16

BW 276

Squat

135x5
225x5
315x3
365x3
405x5

Leg Press

5 sets of 470x10

Stiff Leg DL

5 sets of 135x10

Notes: Quickie workout today. Partner set PR of 405x12. Brutal set.

Tuesday 6/21/16

BW 274

Bench Press

95x8
135x5
185x5
205x3
225x3
250x3
275x3
295x1
305x1 (PR)
225x8
205x10
185x10

Kroc Rows

3 sets of 100x20 (PR)

Cable Circuit

3 rounds of…

Curls
Facepulls
Tricep pulldowns

Notes: I’ve had it in my head that my pressing strength has gone down a bit since dropping nearly 40 pounds, but I guess I just showed that it hasn’t. First time going heavy in a really long time and 305 moved pretty good. Previous best was 300. Today was also one of the first days I did something that my partner couldn’t. 295 moved easy for him but he needed a little help on 305. I’m definitely not considering myself stronger than him though.

Also a PR for Kroc rows. Previous best was a two sets of 20 and one of 15. Those really get the sweat pumping on a hot day in the gym. Partner matched my effort there.

Super-pleased with today’s workout and super-pleased to have such an awesome lifting partner. I needed a real PR and I got one.

Some additional notes on today’s workout:

Making a more solid shelf: My efforts over the last few years have earned me a fairly thick back. Today is the first day I really noticed how much more solid I feel on the bench at this lighter weight. The is way less cushion than there used to be and I’m able to get much more locked-in. That’s how all of my reps today felt - locked in. I had strong, timely leg drive and really felt like everything was clicking. So I suppose it is possible that I have less brute pressing strength that I used to, but am able to bench as much or more due to better technique. Regardless, this is reason # 9384 to continue leaning out.

Plazma: I’ve been taking two doses per workout since originally noting it earlier this year. One dose on deload workouts. I like this stuff and I’m stocked up for a few months on it. I’m a lot stronger towards the end of my workouts and I’m undoubtedly doing more overall work in less time than I ever have. How much of that is due to Plazma vs how much is from being lighter, more conditioned and just stronger overall, I have no idea. Don’t really care as long as I keep leaning out. It is expensive, but the poor eating habits I’m moving away from were much more expensive than Plazma.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed your post in Canada K’s log, and my post was directed at him. Keep 'um coming. Your life is more colorful than mine.

HA! You over-estimate me, and I’m sure you’ve got plenty of colorful tales too biker. My life mostly consists of working, lifting, cooking and cleaning, but the excitement has been picking up a bit lately.

No brawls last night at the bar, but I managed to line up a date with a very sexy woman while manning the door. She’s 14 years younger than me, but what the hell, why not? Its just a date.

Gotta love those barbells. Three years ago I probably couldn’t have scored a date with a woman 14 years older than me. Lose a good bit of gut, add some traps and torso thickness, and BAM! - I’m out of “creep” territory and back on the “charming man” reservation.

Thursday 6/23/16

BW 273

Deadlift

135x5
225x5
315x3
405x3
455x1
495x1
545x1
565x1
585x0
425x8

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

4 sets of 25

Notes: No partner today. 585 was close, but I’m past due for a deload and running on low sleep due to previous night’s bouncing gig. It would easily fall if I was as rested as I was when I pulled it 40 pounds ago.

My belt has also shipped and should be here soon. I’m told this will aid me in my quest to move more iron short distances.

Friday 6/24/16

BW 272

Press

95x8
115x5
135x5
155x5
165x5
135x10
135x9
135x8

Pull Ups

One set of 8
Six sets of 5

Cable Circuit

Facepulls
Curls
Rope Pulldowns

3 rounds no rest

Lateral raises

3 sets

Band pull-aparts

3 sets

Notes: My belt has arrived and it is very, very nice. Used it on all of my press sets today and the feel was excellent. Can’t wait to use it all next week.

1 Like