275x2
325x5 set 1
370x3 set 2
405x6 set 3

Leg Press

5 sets of 380x10

Kettlebell Swings - 88 pounder

5 sets of 30

Looks like I have a lifting partner who is both cool and stronger than me. He got 405x10 tonight. Really digging the whole partner workout thing.

Sounds like things are grooving again, good deal man. I have been partner less lifting for 10 yrs, hmm maybe it’s me :wink:

Thanks and you are correct about things finding a good groove again, scoots2. Other than this bronchitis, which is still making me hack crap up for the last week, training has been great since getting back on 5/3/1. I’m now past my first week with no beer (or any alcohol, for that matter). I’ve been eating fairly well and looking to dial things in a bit more with my food in the coming days as I clean out my freezer. Lots of meat and vegetables are on the menu.

I’ve even gone and purchased my first Biotest supplements today. I got some Z12 sleep aid, a bag of their protein powder and I’m going to give Plazma a try.

The general strategy going forward is simple. Don’t drink alcohol, keep cleaning up what is already a pretty decent diet and otherwise do the same things I’ve been doing for a few years now. I’m not tracking intake yet, but that’s another tool I will probably break out again soon. I’m actually enjoying not drinking beer quite a bit. I think I’m ready to put my big boy pants on and ditch my last vice for good. I just don’t enjoy beer the way I used to and it is really the only thing holding me back from getting substantially leaner.

My new partner and I are really hitting it off well. I’ve been asking the iron gods to send me someone leaner and stronger to train with and my prayers have finally been answered. We’re definitely putting in some good work together, including some supplemental conditioning when we pushed a 70 year-old lady’s VW out of bumper-deep mud in the gym parking lot yesterday.

Its funny how this stuff can coincide sometimes. I had my last beer on Sunday Feb 21st and decided to give that shit a long rest. Two days later this brute comes along and asks if he can work out with me - ME! I’m definitely pleased to give him my “strongest guy in the gym” hat and become the person who lifts with the strongest guy in the gym. I think we will learn a lot from each other.

Thanks for stopping in!

Heck you two could have picked up the ladies VW and carried it out to the street.
I sure like Plazma but SWF is all I can afford, dang food, electricity, shelter…

Don’t forget to humbly bow for thanks to the lifting Gods!

Indeed. This is perhaps the best opportunity I’ve had in my still-young lifting career.

I will bow to the iron gods by working harder than I ever have in the gym and by developing the discipline necessary to become a person who doesn’t drink beer out of habit. It is really just one more small change made that adds up, just like all of the other small changes I’ve made.

Just six short years ago I smoked 1-2 packs/day. I ate whatever I wanted. I drank whatever I wanted. I rarely moved other than shuffling my bulk from one seat to the next.

Now that I’m reflecting on life instead of working, here are some other things I used to do…

Drink soda daily
Drink diet soda daily
Eat hot pockets daily
Satisfy with Snickers
Eat the whole jar of frosting.
Pretend I didn’t know where the frosting went when someone wanted to bake a cake
Eat cake
Eat chips by the bag
Drink maple syrup
Pretend I didn’t know where the maple syrup went when someone wanted pancakes
Eat pancakes
Stand in front of the fridge at night eating slice after slice of American cheese
“Diet” by switching from hot pockets to Lean Cuisine (it didn’t work).
Eat veggies only when doused in fake cheese
Choose fast food over real food most nights
Drink all of the beer

Frankly, I’m amazed I didn’t make it all the way to four hundo.

Tuesday 3/1/16

BW 295

5/3/1 Cycle 14 - 1’s week

Bench Press - TM 270

95x8
135x5
185x3
205x5 set 1
230x3 set 2
255x5 set 3

Partner got 255x10.

DB Incline Bench

75x10
75x10
75x10
75x8
75x6

Supinated Barbell Row

135x10
185x10
185x10
185x10
185x10

Face Pulls

3 sets of 12

supersetted with

Bicep curls

3 sets of 65x10

10 minutes elliptical

10 min sauna

Notes: My pressing has been weak since I got sick. I feel fine now but I’m still getting gassed fast. Felt like that on squats yesterday too. Not too worried.

My new partner is an impressive lifter. He’s 34 years old, about 5’10" and 240 pounds. With one week of 5/3/1 down with me he’s done…

Deadlift 450x11 beltless
Press 160x6
Squat 405x10 to depth, beltless and un-wrapped
Bench 255x10

I feel very lucky that this guy wants to train with me and respects me enough to want to try the methods I am using. Lifters like this don’t fall out of the sky in rinky-dink commercial gyms in Maine, but lo-and-behold, this guy just did. I had only seen him once before he asked to work in with me last week.

I feel even more compelled to up my game.

Thursday 3/3/16

BW 295

5/3/1 Cycle 14 - 1’s Week

Deadlift - TM 500

135x5
225x5
315x3
375x5 set 1
425x3 set 2
475x8 set 3

Another PR for me. Partner got 475x11.

5 sets of 30

Ab wheel roll-out

1 set of 1

Something in my lower abdominal region near the crotchal zone gave out. I collapsed and sat on the floor for a while. I’m fine, but I definitely hurt myself. These are not fat man friendly. Now I need a safe space.

Notes: My partner continues to impress and he seems like a helluva good guy too.

I’ve joked about having the physique of a dive bar bouncer before, and now it is no joke. I’m an actual dive bar bouncer now. I start tonight. Now that drinking beer is not my hobby I need something to keep me busy at night and this should be some pretty easy money.

I just hope I don’t get punched in the lower abdomen. Fucking ab wheel!

But it’s so tasty…!

Now you get to see the effects of cheap booze at 3am… on others.

Hi Raven78, thanks for stopping by.

I found my first night on the job to be a great way to reinforce my decision to eschew alcohol for the near future. Not that I ever act like a total moron after a few (or even many) drinks, but it still served as a good reminder that drinking doesn’t help me meet any goals. At least no long term goals that are important to me.

I had to toss one guy and bring a Mr. Touchy-Feely into line. They were surprisingly compliant, no force was needed at all. The worst part of the night was the wasted old guy who wanted to say drunk things to me all night. The only thing I understood is that he took some very strong drugs before coming to the bar, but not before reading a book about the drugs.

Otherwise it was an interesting night of people watching that paid surprisingly well, all in cash.

Friday 3/4/16

BW 294

5/3/1 Cycle 14 - 1’s Week

10 minute elliptical waiting for partner

Press - TM 275

95x8
115x5
130x5 set 1
150x3 set 2
170x2 set 3
105x10
105x10
105x10
105x8
105x10

Partner got 170x3

Lat PD

5 sets of 180x10

Bicep Curls

3 sets of 55x10

supersetted with…

Many Band Pull-aparts

40 min sauna
10 min hot tub

Notes: I definitely hurt my lower abs yesterday. I racked the bar early on my press money set to be safe. Otherwise had a pretty decent workout.

Feels a lot better after all the heat from the sauna and hot tub.

Monday 3/7/16

BW 295

5/3/1 Cycle 14 - Deload week

Squat - TM 435

135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5

Bench Press - TM 270

95x8
115x5
135x5
185x5

Kettlebellery - 88 pounder

I did some cleans, some clean+press, some rows and a few snatches, just to see if I could do them with the 88. I could, but sometimes the kettlebell swings you.

Notes: My lower abs are still hurt so I took it extra-easy on this deload workout.

I got a chance to try a pair of $200 Nike Romaleo’s. I liked how my squats felt in them but they just did not fit my feet very well at all. I’ll stick with my Vibrams until I find something better. I don’t like getting hit on in the gym anyway.

I also tried false grip on bench for the first time. I will give that a try for the next cycle. I feel like I can get more of a “shove” and I’m curious to see if I can turn that into more power.

Be careful “shoving” the bench with a false grip. Couple years ago, I “shoved” the bar right out of my hands and onto my chest. Yep, I’m that guy…

punnyguy: Caution will be the word of the day when I bench with a false grip. I’ve avoided it purely for safety reasons thus far!

Thursday 3/10/16

BW 292

5/3/1 Cycle 14 - Deload week

Deadlift - TM 500

135x5
225x5
315x5

Press - TM 175

95x5
105x5
115x5

Kettlebell Swings - 88 Pounder

5 sets of 20 with low rest

Facepulls

3 sets of 12

Notes:

I’ve been alcohol-free since Feb 21. In the last week I’ve been working to lessen fruit and dairy intake and move towards more protein and vegetables. In other words, I am doing exactly what I’ve known I should be doing for quite a long time. I’m leaning out at a very good pace and loving it. Not missing alcohol at all.

I am now a Biotest customer, at least for my protein. It is SO much better than the crap I’ve been using and not really all that much more expensive. I’ll begin my Plazma trial next week.

Bouncing is proving to be a very interesting way to stay busy at night. So many fascinating interactions, along with some pretty tedious ones. I get about five guys each night who come up to me to let me know that they are really tough because they lift weights, do crossfit, used to bounce, know fucking karate, kicked a lot of ass once down in Portland or some other crap - BUT THEY AREN’T HERE TO START TROUBLE.

Thanks, that is most reassuring.

When I was maybe 17 big brothers took me to a real classy shitkickin bar. Huge bouncer at the door and brother says, “you get stupid, hit him.” Pointed to another bouncer, average looking Joe, says “don’t go no where near him”. Why? “Biggun there was hired cause of his looks, other one don’t look like much was hired for what he can do.” I left them both alone.
So, congrats on being booze free and why do you want to bench with a suicide grip?

That’s a good question. This is more of a trial period rather than a permanent switch. With a normal grip my wrists fold back when the bar gets heavy. Suicide grip has the bar more centered over my forearm, which I feel might result in more force production. I will try it and see how I do with it.

The booze free run continues as good decisions breed more good decisions. Observing bad decisions all night certainly helps seal the deal.

Saturday 3/12/16

BW 291

10 minute warm-up on the STAR-TRAC.

5 sets of 20 Kettlebell swings with the 88 with my partner. Rest while the other is swinging, no longer.

Bench Press

135x15
135x20
135x15

Many sets of band pull-aparts

20 minutes on the STAR-TRAC

30 minutes sauna
5 minutes hot tub

1 Like

Just took a few minutes to catch up here. Continued solid work. I enjoyed your reflective post where you listed out all of the less-than-healthy things you used to do…we’ll never be perfect, but we can all strive to be better than we were before.

Great news on your new training partner, too. You boys have fun now.

Thanks, but that list was a mere sampling of the less-than-healthy things I used to do. Listing ALL of the less-than-healthy things would require too much internet.

Yet another week has gone by with no alcohol making its way down my gullet, which also included my 36th birthday. This was the first birthday I’ve celebrated without alcohol since I was 18 or so.

I did allow myself a cheat meal yesterday, but not until I had prepared a crock pot full of meathead stew for the week. I went to dinner with my lovely roommate and got some Chicken Amore, loaded with fat and carbs. It was amazing. I only ate 2/3 of it.

5’s week begins today. I’m ready to get back under the bar.

Monday 3/14/16

BW 292

5/3/1 Cycle 15 - 5’s week

Squat - TM 445

135x5
225x5
295x5 set 1
335x5 set 2
375x8 set 3

Partner got 10

Leg Press

5 sets of 470x10

5 sets of 30

Notes:

I tried the recommended double-dose of Plazma today. I haven’t had much sugar recently and I think I got a sugar rush from it at first. My heart was pounding really hard and I was very unfocused on my top squat set. I felt jittery and out-of-my-groove, but still had a decent set.

That subsided and I went on to have my heaviest leg press workout by far. I’ve never really pushed myself hard on leg press before, but we both decided to add 90 to what we did the previous cycle. It was challenging.

Overall the Plazma drink seems to give me more energy during my workout, which is unsurprising but nice. I definitely felt like I had more in the tank than usual on assistance.

So the jury is out on the Plazma but it is too soon to form any real opinion on it.

Tuesday 3/15/16

BW 291

Bench Press - TM 275

95x8
135x5
155x5
185x5 set 1
205x5 set 2
235x10 set 3

Incline DB Bench

75x10
75x5
75x8
65x10
65x8

Supinated BB Row

135x10
185x10
185x10
185x10
185x10

Some light curls supersetted with band pull-aparts

Notes:

Strength dropped off fast on my 2nd set of incline. That surprised me, given that I think 235x10 was rep PR for me on bench.

Thursday 3/17/16

BW 290

Deadlift - TM 510

135x5
225x5
325x5 set 1
385x5 set 2
435x9 set 3

Partner got 10

KB Swings - 88 pounder

6 sets of 20 resting only as long as partner was swinging

Notes:

Kept it short today. The drunks are out in full-force and I need to go to work shortly.