Do Meatheads Dream of Iron Sheep?

Congratulations on your new position. Very exciting to be moving forward in that regard.

Tis a shame about your relationship, and I’ll skip the comforting platitudes about how everything happens for a reason and how we learn something from any relationship, yada yada yada. I will merely say that you have a good head on your shoulders and I’m sure that you made the right decision for yourself.

Keep hitting that iron. The weights are always there for you no matter what kind of day you’ve had.

Best wishes to you during this transition. I’ve been finding high rep kettlebell swings helpful for stress management lately. As you move it might be helpful to find some kind of mindless work you can do without hitting the gym.

Thanks for the support, AG and LS!

While squabbles over diet and lifting were quite far down on my list of reasons for moving on, these have been real things that have hindered my progress. While she learned to accept my dedication to the gym, I remained under constant pressure to limit the time I spent there. Now I can just go when I want for as long as I want. I also struggle with avoiding things like giant tubs of caramel corn that I don’t buy, bags of chips that I don’t buy, frozen junk food in a bag that I don’t buy and things like that when they are just laying around, calling to me for a quick fix. That wasn’t her fault, she didn’t make me eat it, but it didn’t exactly put me in the best position to succeed, either.

What I don’t struggle with is putting any of that crap in my shopping cart. In fact, I pride myself on checking out with a cart full of healthy food, and I’d get a dirty feeling when she’d ask me to pick up a bag of chips or something like that. I believe I will do a good job of limiting my unhealthy options on-hand, which will be a step forward. Plus I won’t have to meal plan around anyone’s tastes but my own, so plenty of chicken, broccoli and steak are in my future.

Tonight I tossed the kettlebell about for a good 30 minutes, really working on limiting rest and keeping my heart pounding. I did not count reps, but I did…

Many sets of high-rep swings
A few sets of high-rep cleans
Two sets of high-rep goblet squats
A set of clean+press
A set of snatches
A set of one-arm swings

Then I did 10 or so laps in the pool.

30 min sauna
10 min hot tub

Thursday 1/22/15

BW 292

Cycle 4, 5/3/1 week

Press - TM 195

95x5
115x5
145x5 set 1
165x3 set 2
185x3 set 3
135x10
115x10
115x10
115x10
115x10

Lat PD, neutral grip

5 sets of 170x10

Getting the MMC on these, really feeling it in my lats

30 min sauna
5 min hot tub

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
While she learned to accept my dedication to the gym, I remained under constant pressure to limit the time I spent there. [/quote]
Ugh. I guess I have it really good. Never does my husband complain about how much time I spend at the gym, which is an awful lot cause I love it there.

Wow. Lots of changes in your life. I wish you the best with all of the transitions.

Thanks, kpsnap. I really plan on investing a lot more time in myself in the coming months. It is long overdue.

Saturday 1/24/15

Today I spent the afternoon at Dyna-Maxx in Westbrook, ME training with owner Matthew Israelson and his assistant. Their gym lift board was impressive. Very impressive. The focus was on technical execution of the big 3, plus I got to try a few new things and hit a nice PR.

Squats

I learned how to box squat properly, basically. I don’t envision myself using a lot of box squats, but I will be incorporating some of what I learned into my regular squats. I’ll be gripping the bar instead of going thumbs-over, using a somewhat higher placement and a wider stance. I’ll be playing around with different things during my deload week next week. We also did some band work and chain work, neither of which my present gym is equipped to handle. Nothing heavy here. I also tried a good belt on for the first time. I think I like using a belt.

Deads

They were pretty happy with what I was already doing here, but we did spend some time working on my setup and the pull mechanics. I also used a belt for the first time with pulls.

Putting all of this together (plus my strength gains from 4 cycles of 5/3/1) resulted in me working up to an easy 6 lb PR of 571, belted. I could have kept going, but meh. I was happy to PR, especially in a setting like that. Also of note is that I was running on 4 hours of crappy sleep on the couch, no food except a protein shake with milk and a banana, plus an overall low level of preparedness. I believe I am presently good for 600 belted with good preparation. I have few doubts of this.

Bench

This was all about set-up, and probably the lift where I will get the biggest benefit from the day’s instruction. Worked on setting and keeping an arch, leg drive, staying tight and keeping my shoulders back. I worked up to a pair of singles at 285 that were very smooth and a lot easier than I remember 285 being the last time I went that heavy. I did not care to go any heavier because I am enjoying a relatively pain-free shoulder lately and I want to keep it that way.

I also got to try their log press! It was pretty sweet!

Back to 5/3/1 and next week is deload week. Once I settle in to whatever my new gym is I may go with some jokers and work up to 600 on deads in a few months. I REALLY hope I can find a solid gym with some strength junkies or power lifters to train with in NH.

Fun day!

Here’s some video of today’s events.

First is 551 for an easy single.

571 for a single, 6 lb PR and still getting used to the belt. This was only my third pull with a belt.

285 for a single. Last lift of the day on no food, little sleep and after a long 4 hour day in the gym was still easier than the last time I put that up.

If there one thing besides my need for technical refinement that I learned today, it is that I need to seek out strong men who are serious about the time they spend in the gym and train with them. Fortunately I should have the time and the means to make this happen relatively soon.

I bet they were happy with what you’re already deadlifting. You made 551 look easy and 571 came right up. 600 definitely in your future.

[quote]NHLFTR wrote:
I bet they were happy with what you’re already deadlifting. You made 551 look easy and 571 came right up. 600 definitely in your future.[/quote]

I believe it is, but I’m going to wait a few months before I go for it. I will make 585 the target of my next heavy single, probably in March. 600’s not going anywhere.

By the way, if you know of any legit gyms in and around Rochester, NH, I am ALL EARS. I’m not sure where I’ll be living yet, but that’s where I’ll be working.

Monday 1/26/15

BW 294 - STRESS EATING AND DRINKING!

Cycle 4, deload week

Squat - TM 450

135x5
185x5 set 1, all paused
225x5 set 2, all paused
275x5 set 3

I had difficulty applying what I learned on Saturday. I was box squatting with a 55lb fat-grip squat bar in a monolift at the gym I was training at. None of it felt right today, so I just fell back on my old style of squatting for my work sets. I’ll play around with it some more when I have time.

Leg press

3 sets of 290x10

Romanian Deadlift

3 sets of 135x10

Kettlebell swings, fifty pounder

One arm swings, fifty pounder

One set of 10 per arm, continuous set switching arms in mid-air. Getting fancy!

Thursday 1/29/15

Cycle 4, deload week

Deadlift - TM forgotten atm

135x5
225x5 set 1
275x5 set 2
325x5 set 3

Press - TM 195

95x5 set 1
115x5 set 2
135x5 set 3

DB Rows

100x15

That’s all I did today. I wanted to use the rest of my time to help my female lifting friend try her first heavy deadlift single after a few months of running Stronglifts. We worked up to 190 belt less with mixed grip, no problems. 200 wouldn’t clear the knees so I had her try straps and it flew right up. She’s riding pretty high right now.

And this deadlift session was after she squatted 115 for 5 sets of 5. I believe she is already good to pull 225 fresh with straps and a bit more work on speed off the floor. She is too nice to the barbell, but she can work on that. I’m very happy to have helped her reach this.

Back to the grind next week. Cycle 5 and the weights are getting big! Cycle 6 will see a significant TM drop before running it up again for a few more cycles. I like 5/3/1.

Sorry but I live in New Boston. 30 minutes south east of Manchester. So I don’t know the Rochester area. Hope you find a good gym.

Monday 2/2/15

5/3/1 Cycle 5, 5s week

Bench Press TM-290

135x5
190x5 set 1
220x5 set 2
245x7 set 3

Jack shit assistance.

I worked out at home because my gym closes when a snowflake lands on the roof.

Tuesday 2/3/15

BW 293

5/3/1 Cycle 5, 5’s week

Squat - TM 460

135x5 all paused
225x5 all paused
265x5 a few paused
300x5 set 1
345x5 set 2
390x7 set 3

I got one rep into an FSL set at 315 before I realized that I have squatted enough for the evening.

Romanian Deadlift

3 sets of 205x10

Leg Press

3 sets of 290x10

30 min sauna
2 min hot tub - foreign matter caused a quick clear-out

So I’ve decided against going to New Hampshire. This really pissed off the recruiter, but tough nuts for him. I have a great job right now, moving sucks and a little bit of extra money isn’t worth starting life over again. And I may be getting back together with my girlfriend, which makes this whole stunt I pulled grade-A asshole material. Fortunately I possess certain qualities that may off-set this trauma I’ve inflicted, so the situation may be salvageable.

Possibly…

That’s all the details you get!

Thursday 2/5/15

BW 294

5/3/1 Cycle 5 - 5’s week

Press - TM 200

95x5
115x5
135x5 set 1
150x5 set 2
170x7 set 3
135x10
115x10
115x10
115x10
115x10

Lat Pulldown, wide grip

5 sets of 150x10

Getting the MMC down on this movement.

20 min sauna
10 min hot tub

Well. Innnnteresting.

It appears that lifting progress proceeds unabated. Especially the overhead press. I expect you’ll be putting two big wheels overhead in a few months.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Well. Innnnteresting.

It appears that lifting progress proceeds unabated. Especially the overhead press. I expect you’ll be putting two big wheels overhead in a few months.[/quote]

Yeah lots of things are still up in the air right now. Whether we end up sticking it out or splitting up, we absolutely have to get all of our issues on the table and figure out if it can work. This is a stressful process.

This has affected my training in several ways:

1. I’ve been eating lots of junk food, specifically fast food (maybe one meal every other day)
  2. I’ve been drinking more beer, especially high-calorie delicious beer
  3. Sleeping less due to more nights on the couch
  4. I’ve been doing less conditioning and assistance work

I’m actually shocked that I haven’t really put on any significant weight over the last few weeks and I’m equally shocked that my lifts have not seemed to suffer much at all.

I think that sticking to the principles of 5/3/1 are keeping the damage in check. I’ve had a few bare-minimum days, but I’ve gotten in and done the main lift at least. Keeping that line in the sand that, no matter what, I will get in and do my main lift has definitely kept my consistency up.

I’ve had plenty of days where I just felt like saying “Fuck it, I’m skipping weights and getting some of those frosting-filled Cinnabon things they sell at Taco Bell.”

I continue to lift, however.

Ahh, life is an interesting ride, isn’t it?

If nothing else, you’ve definitely established the lifting habit as a fundamental part of your life. If you don’t quit going through all this, you’re not ever going to quit.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
2) I’ve been drinking more beer, especially high-calorie delicious beer
[/quote]

I think we both agree on this, if it’s going to be beer, it may as well be the good stuff (flavoursome craft beer… mmm!).

Stay positive mate, we are all here following still.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Life continues to become more interesting, there is no doubt about that…

Friday, 2/6/15

BW 295

5/3/1 Cycle 5 - 5’s week

Deadlift - TM 550

135x5
225x5
315x3
355x5 set 1
410x5 set 2
465x5 set 3
495x1 Joker Set

Kettlebellery with the fifty pounder, keeping rest times as low as I could

20xSwings
20xSwings
10xSnatch per hand
20xSwings
10xOne-Arm Swings per hand (w/ fancy mid-air hand switch)
20xSwings
5xClean+Press per hand
20xSwings

Skipped abs, sauna and hot tub.