Do Meatheads Dream of Iron Sheep?

That is almost close grip bench.

You need a wider grip for sure.

Watch this

Derek, I have a lot of respect for you, and I’m not really intending to “disagree” with your opinion, but I have a slightly different view.

I do agree that OP’s grip is on the “close” side, and that he might want to slide his grip out a little if 1) maximal weights are the end goal (if OP intends to compete in powerlifting someday) and 2) he can do so with no ill effects to his shoulders. However, I’ve found that I can bench nearly as much weight at a close-ish grip (pretty close to what OP is using here) as I could at my older, wider grip (pinky-on-the-rings), and I can do so with much less shoulder grief than I did using that wider grip (as always, YMMV).

I may sacrifice a few pounds on the lift, but I’ll take that in exchange for healthier shoulders and a bit more longevity. Thus, I don’t think it’s a stone-cold lock that OP should use a wider grip, especially given that right now he’s really just trying to build strength and lose weight.

twojarslave, Derek may be correct that you’d benefit from a wider grip. You would probably be able to move more weight in the long run; it would give you a shorter stroke for sure, and it might feel odd at first because the leverage will be a bit different. Just wanted to offer a view from my own experience.

It is something I should think about while I’m still relatively new to the game, that’s for sure. I did experiment with a wider grip (pinky on the rings) back in late Jan or early Feb, but was rather foolish in that I tried it with 225 on the bar. That earned me a strained deltoid, a few weeks off from all pressing and pulling with the shoulder (but still squatted and deadlifted) and about two months of no progress on my upper body lifts. My shoulder is still a bit sore, especially at night, but I feel like I’m past this injury. Doc gave me the green light to lift heavy as well.

What I’m not sure of is if I have a predisposition to shoulder injury with a wider grip or if I was just dumb and unlucky that one time. I’m guessing the latter.

As it stands now, I’m basically just as strong on close grip as I am on the medium (albeit still close) grip you see here, so it seems to be a tricep-dominant movement for me. I feel like my chest is a weak-spot, so I’d like to do more to engage the pecs. Widening the grip will do this, but I don’t want to re-injure my shoulder. I think I will take my close-grip pressing session on Friday and turn it into a light-ish wide-grip session, with 5x5 work sets around 205, just to see how it feels.

Good plan? Bad plan?

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Derek, I have a lot of respect for you, and I’m not really intending to “disagree” with your opinion, but I have a slightly different view.

I do agree that OP’s grip is on the “close” side, and that he might want to slide his grip out a little if 1) maximal weights are the end goal (if OP intends to compete in powerlifting someday) and 2) he can do so with no ill effects to his shoulders. However, I’ve found that I can bench nearly as much weight at a close-ish grip (pretty close to what OP is using here) as I could at my older, wider grip (pinky-on-the-rings), and I can do so with much less shoulder grief than I did using that wider grip (as always, YMMV).

I may sacrifice a few pounds on the lift, but I’ll take that in exchange for healthier shoulders and a bit more longevity. Thus, I don’t think it’s a stone-cold lock that OP should use a wider grip, especially given that right now he’s really just trying to build strength and lose weight.

twojarslave, Derek may be correct that you’d benefit from a wider grip. You would probably be able to move more weight in the long run; it would give you a shorter stroke for sure, and it might feel odd at first because the leverage will be a bit different. Just wanted to offer a view from my own experience. [/quote]
No worries. Honestly I think PL bench is set up more for better shoulder health in the long run. I benched incorrectly for a long long time, to the point now I cant even do it.

OP needs to have as much information as possible and then adapt his programming to his body style and goals.

[quote]
OP needs to have as much information as possible and then adapt his programming to his body style and goals. [/quote]

This. THIS!

Feed me information, meatheads. I’m pretty good at sorting the information out on my own once it is presented to me, but there is so much out there that I have not even thought about that I need to be thinking about.

FEED ME!

So besides the grip width, is there anything else I should be giving attention to on my bench? Simply stated, I remain skeptical about my own technique on just about every major lift I do. I’m not looking for a gold star from teacher, but rather peace-of-mind that I am doing the exercise correctly or some guidance on what I need to fix.

Everyone at my gym tells me I’m doing great, but they are mostly casual lifters so I don’t place a lot of weight on their evaluations. I think they are mostly amazed at the slowly shrinking fat man who actually shows up and even renewed his membership. Most people who look like I do are very inconsistent, and most people who look like I DID show up once or twice and are never seen nor heard from again.

I feel like I’ve done most of my homework and plucked the low-hanging fruit from the tree of lifting knowledge. I’m here to expand that body of knowledge in every way I need to.

And here is my 1RM of 365 on squat. Future videos will not require rotation of viewers’ heads.

I’ll try to get one up of a normal work set on squat. Until then, any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Wednesday 4/16/14

Deadlift

135x5
225x5
315x5
405x5
455x1

Have some video of 405x5 that I will post when my camerawoman figures out why she can’t email it to me.

Seated OHP

115x5
135x5
170x5
170x5
170x5

Standing calf raise, 1 second pause at top

580x10 (whole stack)
580x10

Dumbbell Bench Press

35x12
55x10
75x10
80x8

Front Squat Rep-Out

135x10

Barbell Curls

Some unlabeled barbell x 12
A heavier unlabeled barbell x 8

405x5 on conventional deadlift. Not my best set, that’s for sure. I was not properly focused on what I was doing. But here it is, warts and all. Any suggestions on fixing it, or any other of my lifts, are most welcome.

That squat look pretty solid, and, at least from that camera angle, the depth looked good to me. Nice work.

Thanks jjackkrash. I’ve been working hard on my technique, watching lots of videos and trying to apply everything I have learned. It is nice to hear that it looked good. It certainly felt good, and my confidence is building on all of my lifts.

Consistent execution of diet this week. Feels great. I want a beer. Actually, I want several beers. Delicious IPA would be great. So many good ones in Maine. Why can’t they make some kind of delicious, fizzy and drinkable liquid that gets you moderately buzzed but has no calories?

WHY?

You are SO copying my log format. Hell, you even copied the “light rep-out set at the end of the workout” that I always do.

I think your deads look OK. Not perfect, but they rarely are at maximal or near-maximal weights. I think you’re rounding your back a little at the very outset and maybe ought to try for a bit better arch, but many successful deadlifters have employed some pretty ugly form. One dorky thing, which you may or may not like, is a suggestion to buy somewhat shorter shorts (it won’t make you any stronger, but I like being able to drag the weight up my legs without feeling like my shorts are in the way, of course your mileage may vary). Also, I’m no math major, but I’m pretty sure you did 6 reps there :slight_smile:

This may be a bit personal, but re: the alcohol or beer, do you consider it a “trigger” for yourself (given the description of your past) or are you able to consume in moderation? I’m not much of a beer drinker myself (although a nice stout or porter occasionally is OK) but I do enjoy a glass or two of red wine with my girlfriend every so often, and an occasional small pour of bourbon on the rocks. Never really more than once or twice a week, though.

Yeah I definitely stole your log format. It is easy to read and easy to write down. I’ve been doing squat, front squat and pushup rep-outs for awhile, I just borrowed your term (still learning lifting vocabulary, after all). I like to do those anytime I finish what I planned on doing and still feel like I have some gas in the tank.

And yes, I did do 6 at 405. I didn’t even notice until you pointed that out. That shows you just how unfocused I was on that set. I didn’t even count correctly! I normally stick my butt out a little more, keep a straighter back and finish with more of a hip thrust, but shit happens and you have a bad set every once in a while. I’ll chalk it up to performance anxiety in front of the camera.

My shorts neither help nor hinder my deadlifts, although they are a bit large on me now. I don’t even notice the bar dragging them up. It may be time to go down a size, I’ve been rocking those shorts since I was 320+.

As far as alcohol goes, it is just another behavior pattern I am in the process of reprogramming. In my mid to late 20’s I would get started and not stop until I was passing out. I did that just about every single night. Nowadays I can have just one or two, but I always WANT to have more than that. That said, my tolerance is back to that of mere mortals, and a six pack of good beer constitutes a binge for me now. Given my taste in beer (strong local IPA’s, of which we have many), that can amount to 1500 calories. Not good.

I just aim to avoid alcohol during the week. It always turns out better that way. I can easily stick to my diet plan and avoid overeating when I do that. Some days, last week in particular, I fall off the wagon and indulge during the week. But I am much better at managing my behavior even when I have a few beers, so I didn’t go nuts and decide to eat a whole box of Kraft mac and cheese with extra butter and cheese or anything like that.

I neither gained nor lost any weight last week, but I got stronger on my lifts, so I consider it a week where progress was made. I also consider it a week with suboptimal decisions, so it is hardly a model for me going forward.

This week is going well. I ate over my calorie target yesterday and Monday, but only by 200 or so calories and it was clean food. I was just so freaking hungry after lifting. Same with Monday after squats and BP. I don’t sweat those type of days one bit.

When I compare my behavior today with my behavior six months ago I can be very pleased with my progress. When I compare my behavior today with my behavior two years ago it is night and day. I want to be able to say the same thing in another six months and in another two years.

A few pertinent thoughts:

1. I’ve also had success with a firm “I just won’t drink during the week” rule. Friday or Saturday night, if I get home and want a glass of bourbon, cool. Going out to dinner with my girlfriend, split a bottle of wine, cool. Tuesday night? Nope, not even an option.

It’s great to hear that you’re “reprogramming” and that even if you WANT more than the “one or two” you’re able to stop. Eventually I expect that you’ll have the “one or two” and be satisfied.

1. Two semi-related things that belong under the same comment: one, you mention a former behavior of eating a whole box of mac and cheese when drinking and two, you mention being “so freaking hungry” after lifting. What has worked for me in BOTH of the scenarios - either “I had a few drinks and now I’ve got the munchies” or “I worked out really hard today and my body is starving for more” - is to go ahead and indulge with a really QUALITY food (like a big steak, for example). As always, YMMV.

You have a great attitude, man, and you’re moving in the right direction. Keep it up!

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
A few pertinent thoughts:

1. I’ve also had success with a firm “I just won’t drink during the week” rule. Friday or Saturday night, if I get home and want a glass of bourbon, cool. Going out to dinner with my girlfriend, split a bottle of wine, cool. Tuesday night? Nope, not even an option.

It’s great to hear that you’re “reprogramming” and that even if you WANT more than the “one or two” you’re able to stop. Eventually I expect that you’ll have the “one or two” and be satisfied.

1. Two semi-related things that belong under the same comment: one, you mention a former behavior of eating a whole box of mac and cheese when drinking and two, you mention being “so freaking hungry” after lifting. What has worked for me in BOTH of the scenarios - either “I had a few drinks and now I’ve got the munchies” or “I worked out really hard today and my body is starving for more” - is to go ahead and indulge with a really QUALITY food (like a big steak, for example). As always, YMMV.

You have a great attitude, man, and you’re moving in the right direction. Keep it up![/quote]
Agreed.

OP you need an easier name :slight_smile:

What PWO food/drink are you doing?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Agreed.

OP you need an easier name :slight_smile:

What PWO food/drink are you doing?[/quote]

I work out right after work, usually from 5:30 to 6:30, give or take. I have a protein shake (ON Gold Standard Double Chocolate) with 1 cup of skim milk and 5g of creatine as soon as I get home. I also have a banana and one scoop of protein powder with water 30 minutes before I work out.

I also have dinner after my workouts, and usually another protein shake before bed. When I execute correctly my calories are basically split equally before and after my workouts. That’s not by design so much as timing of my schedule.

As far as my name, it comes from this…

1 Like

Perfect. Just curious.

Thursday 4/17/14

20 minutes Sauna
10 minutes hot tub

0 laps in the pool. Pool occupied by old lady class from 6-7. Need to work around that class on Thursdays if I want to get a swim in.

Friday 4/18/14

Have the day off of work so I went to the gym early.

Front Squat

155x5
205x5
230x5
230x5
230x5

Last rep was ugly, but I managed to do all 5 reps on all of my work sets, setting a front squat work set PR for the 2nd week in a row.

Close Grip Bench Press (hands 12 in apart)

135x5
205x5
230x5
230x5
230x5

Romanian Deadlift

135x5
205x5
225x5
225x5
225x5

Bent Over Barbell Row

135x5
205x5
225x5 Ugly, too heavy for 2nd week in a row
215x5
215x5

Dumbbell Farmer’s Carry

90lb each hand. Walked until I couldn’t carry them anymore three times.

30 minutes sauna
15 minutes hot tub with a few turns the cold tub

25 laps in the pool. Leisurely breast stroke.

20 more minutes suana
10 more minutes hot tub

I needed this day off from work.

Not that I expect anything less, but good work again, brother. Love the farmer’s walks with heavy DB’s for “conditioning” after the workout. Great stuff.

I’m a big fan of the post-workout sauna and hot tub myself, but alas, I don’t have regular access to one (and I already spend money on hot yoga, I’m not paying to join a gym as well, not when I have free access to UPitt’s gym and plenty of my own goodies - dumbbells, kettlebell, bands - at home). Once in a while I leave the ventures of my University gym to work out with my brother at LA Fitness and get the luxuries of a sauna & hot tub, though, and I do love it.