T Nation

Do I Need Whey Protein?

If your on a tight budget and really can’t afford Whey you are going to have to eat way more food to get the amout of protein you would need in the day to gain muscle mass. You will have to eat a ton of red meat and chicken. I think it would be more cost affective if you bought whey, which is cheap other than spending more money on food. You wounld also have to keep in mind after your workouts your body need protein so you would have to bring food with you.

[quote]Kerley wrote:
definitely not,if you cant get in enough protein each day trough whole foods then look for a decent protein powder. people will tell you you need whey protein right after you train or you wont be in positive nitrogen balance whatever its all BS all you need is food, i eat steak and 2 baked potatoes after i train.

for most of ronnie colemans career he didnt drink a protein shake after he trained he whent and had steak and grits. personally i drink a shake for my 1st meal but thats only because i cant eat a ton of food first ting in the morning.[/quote]

Wow, didn’t know that about Coleman.

Anyways, fuck nitrogen balances. Shakes are absorbed into the system rapidly and that’s the only reaosn I suggested the OP use 'em. I only ever have mine PWO or the morning after a workout.

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
Kerley wrote:
definitely not,if you cant get in enough protein each day trough whole foods then look for a decent protein powder. people will tell you you need whey protein right after you train or you wont be in positive nitrogen balance whatever its all BS all you need is food, i eat steak and 2 baked potatoes after i train.

for most of ronnie colemans career he didnt drink a protein shake after he trained he whent and had steak and grits. personally i drink a shake for my 1st meal but thats only because i cant eat a ton of food first ting in the morning.

Wow, didn’t know that about Coleman.

Anyways, fuck nitrogen balances. Shakes are absorbed into the system rapidly and that’s the only reaosn I suggested the OP use 'em. I only ever have mine PWO or the morning after a workout.[/quote]

jay cutler as well, well i dunno about right now but in a few interviews i have seen in past he said he has egg whites and rice after he trains.

yeah i know i was just using nitrogen balance as an example of some of the BS the get thrown around as a reason to buy whey protein :slight_smile:

you don’t NEED whey protein or any other supplement for that matter…

[quote]Kerley wrote:
yeah i know i was just using nitrogen balance as an example of some of the BS the get thrown around as a reason to buy whey protein :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Haha, it’s amazing some of the things that people think beginners need to be concerned with.

[quote]Jason B wrote:
you don’t NEED whey protein or any other supplement for that matter…[/quote]

To the OP, this.
But keep in mind the conveninence of them.

Supplements benefit me greatly not because they aid in protein synthesis or whatnot, but because it’s a cheap, quick way for me to jack up my protein intake. I am also VERY busy and usually never at home (two days out of the week I am home for longer than four hours + sleep) so a protein shake in the morning and one in water for later in the day is a god-send for me in terms of diet and convince.

i am 6-5, 265 and eat maybe 125-150g protein a day and don’t have too much trouble continuing to make gains…my diet sucks…chips, ice cream, fried foods, etc. But, when getting ready for a contest I clean it up and use the supplements then to help with recovery…as long as I can eat whatever I want recovery is not an issue…I relied on supplements way too much when younger and probably didn’t need them as much as I used…maybe wisdom came with age…

Well i appreciate the advice everyone. I think i will try some, because now withme having a job and school, my time is kind of limited, and I’m going to have to get the most bank for my buck when it comes to how much protein iom getting through out the day, becasue i now have less time to eat (most food isnt allowed at my work or classrooms at my school). but is there a specific ‘brand’ anyone would recommend, or would the one i can buy at wal-mart be ok?

Of Course!!! Protein is the One of the Best things to build muscle! Plain and simple.

[quote]Clevelands23 wrote:
Of Course!!! Protein is the One of the Best things to build muscle! Plain and simple.[/quote]

fucking 09ers

LOL.

Sorry Kerley, some 09ers still understand that you need more nutrients besides protein to gain muscle. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]J.Wollmann wrote:
LOL.

Sorry Kerley, some 09ers still understand that you need more nutrients besides protein to gain muscle. :p[/quote]

but you dont NEED WHEY protein…

It can’t hurt, but certainly isn’t a NEED.

I actually stopped taking whey. Not only is it getting expensive, my stomach was never right while taking it (and I’m not lactose intolerance… I guess my body doesn’t like powders). Plus it’s not as delicious as meat.

I’m still doing fine, maybe even better!