T Nation

Do I Need to Rework My Split?

I have a routine i started Monday I’m trying to stick with. A friend of mine told me the split wouldn’t work as good as it could if it was different. I’m trying to hit all big groups 2 times a week, small 3 times, with cardio on every other day. Well heres my split:

Monday: Chest/Arm/Shoulder
Tuesday: Back/Ab Cardio
Wednesday: Arm/Shoulder
Thursday: Chest/Ab/Back Cardio
Friday: Legs/Arm
Saturday: Abs Cardio
Sunday: off Cardio

Tell me what u guys think. I know it needs some work but i don’t know where. Thanks in ahead!!!

First off, what are your goals?

Regardless of your goals, why would you put arms the day before a chest, back, or shoulder day? You can’t pull or push 100% without your arms. And if you are trying to hit the big groups twice a week, why are legs only being worked once?

Monday: Horiz. Push/Vert. Pull
Tuesday: Quads + accessory
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Horiz. Pull/Vert. Push Cardio
Friday: Off
Saturday: Posterior Chain + accessory
Sunday: Off

Upper body hit twice a week, lower body hit twice a week, if you really want to add some arms on leg day go ahead, and this way it won’t effect recovery so much.

My goal is to gain strength and a little mass. Pozzska i kno exactly what ur sayin about the arms before a chest shoulder or back day thats what i was trying to fix.I was planning on workout 5 or 6 days a week. U lost me at the horiz. and vert. pull and push stuff. Could u try to keep it chest shoulder back legs arms and abs? well today at skool i talked to some of the weight lifters and here is what i came up with.

Tuesday: leg/ab
Wednesday: Arm/Shoulder/back
Thursday: leg/ab
Friday: chest/Arm/back
Saturday: Ab
Sunday: off

See this way i hit chest twice, legs twice, shoulders twice, back twice, arms and abs three times with cardio on days that i feel i have the energy.

[quote]Rad-Brad wrote:
My goal is to gain strength and a little mass. Pozzska i kno exactly what ur sayin about the arms before a chest shoulder or back day thats what i was trying to fix.I was planning on workout 5 or 6 days a week. U lost me at the horiz. and vert. pull and push stuff. Could u try to keep it chest shoulder back legs arms and abs? well today at skool i talked to some of the weight lifters and here is what i came up with.

Tuesday: leg/ab
Wednesday: Arm/Shoulder/back
Thursday: leg/ab
Friday: chest/Arm/back
Saturday: Ab
Sunday: off

See this way i hit chest twice, legs twice, shoulders twice, back twice, arms and abs three times with cardio on days that i feel i have the energy. [/quote]

Quit listening to the weight lifters at “skool”. And you’d hit all of those body parts twice with the split pozzSka laid out.

Also:
-horizontal push=something like the bench press or any variations. I would put dips in the category too, but perhaps i’m wrong.
-Horizontal pull=a row variation: BB bent over rows, seated cable rows, DB rows, etc.
-Vertical push=military/shoulder press and its variations
-Vertical pull=pull downs, pull ups and chin ups.

Personally I like the upper/lower split: good mix of big lifts and volume.
M: Heavy lower body
T: off
W: Heavy Upper body
R: off
F: “light” (high rep ranges than M) lower body
S: off
S: “light” (higher rep ranges than W) upper body

Take a look at “west side for skinny bastards III” and try it out. You might like it.
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

Monday: Chest/Back (pull ups/pulldowns)
Tuesday: Quads + accessory
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Back(rhomboids/lower traps)/Shoulders
Friday: Off
Saturday: Posterior Chain + accessory
Sunday: Off

Your lifters at “skool” don’t know what they are talking about.

Obvisouly you don’t realize that your shoulders (aka Deltoids) are hit during pushing and pulling exercises. When you bench, you are using your anterior deltoids (front shoulder), therefore, not much of a reason to do front raises, unless you are lagging there.

When you row, you are stimulating your rear delts, this is where many people are lacking, so doing an extra rear delt raise is a good idea, also face pulls are awesome.

Then on “shoulder day” you hit the medial delt, etc.

You obviously aren’t educated, and that’s why you are here. So instead of trying to develop your own thing (with lack of knowledge), why not use the search function and find a split that you like.

Also, did you know some people train their whole body at every session (ex. push/pull, total body training)?

Go read the beginners stickies and stick to one of those plans first.