T Nation

Do I Need to Change My Routine?

Hey I am 19 year old student looking for some advice from some of the awesome knowledgeable vets here, and wondering if I should change my routine after 9 months of serious lifting. I only started about 9 months ago but I have really fallen in love with this, and wondering if my routine could need some tweaking.

I lift heavy and always try to rack up the weight and usually do very high volume and have a 5 day training split. I recently tore my meniscus so I can't lift legs and my deadlift has suffered for it, getting surgery soon so I currently do very light leg work.

Monday Chest
DB Incline Press (usually do 5 sets with the first being a warm up and the last set getting up to 95lbs for about 4 reps)

DB Incline Flyes (4X10)

Barbell Chest Press (do very low reps 5x5, trying to get all strength being I neglected this exercise for so long)

Hammer Strength Wide Grip Machine (usually do 4 sets with the first being a warm up and increase weights to about 3 plates and a quarter)

Cable Flyes or DB Flat Flyes (3X12 finish with this exercise really feel my pecs at the end of my workout)

I know a bunch of people are gonna say things like this is way to much volume and what not, but I have trained like this basically since I started just thinking it might be time for a change. I only gave you my chest day but It's like this for all my training sessions.

Mon-Chest, Tues-Back,Wed-Shoulders&Traps,Thurs-Triceps,Friday-Light legs...I train abs every 2 days and train Biceps every 3 days same as forearms and calves.

Just wondering If maybe it's time for a change, or someone with experience may help point something I may be doing wrong. I'm willing to try changing up my volume but I love going to the gym and usually there for 2 hours a day. Thanks in advance for your time,effort, and knowledge.

What are your current stats, goals, and training weights? How much progress have you made over the past 3 to 4 months?

I feel like my progress has started to slow down a tad, my primary goal is size but strength is important (I constantly up the weights every set). I am 5'6ft and weigh 176lbs when I first wake up and hoping to get to 200-210lbs by the end of December. I currently DB Incline 95's, DB shoulder press 85's, Bent Over Row 195lbs, Deadlift 440lbs, and when I could squat 315lbs(but I have a slight tear in my meniscus that restraints me from squatting for the time being).

5/3/1 Periodisation Bible template

Do you think 5/3/1 well be the ideal way to add size, I understand thats it's great for getting stronger which in turn leads to bigger muscles, but do you think HTH is not comparable.My main goal is to gain as much muscle as possible.

How much progress have you made over the past 3 to 4 months?

Please give objective measurements so we can see what's actually happening.

since you haven't been lifting for all that long, you should look into Dr Clay's "blending size and strength". I remember getting pretty good results out of that back when i was a wee lad. Scratched my itch for getting bigger and stronger at the same time.

since you haven't been lifting for all that long, you should look into Dr Clay's "blending size and strength". I remember getting pretty good results out of that back when i was a wee lad. Scratched my itch for getting bigger and stronger at the same time.

I looked into that program awhile back but I don't really like the split, I try to go to to the gym 5-7 days a week and really try to hit that body part as hard as possible. One of my friends who is a very strong powerlifter taught me that every workout set should entail the best of both worlds. E.G so for my Incline DB Bench Press, I start with a light workout set for 12 reps, and then continue to ramp up the weight and work to failure, and continue this for 5 sets. With the last set being in the range of 2-4 reps, any thoughts on this? I do this basically for every one of my exercises.

Personally, I do this approach about 2 weeks out of the month, one week I increase the reps and decrease the weight, do drop-sets, etc. for more volume, and add one week of deloading. Doing this will give you a week each month to recover, and prevent your body from adapting to one type of workout. It has worked for me after I stalled after going all-out week after week. Everyone is different, however.

How does your recovery look? For example, are you sleeping/eating enough? If you have gained a substantial amount of weight in these past 9 months then you will likely need to be intaking more calories.

I'm trying to bulk as clean as possible, that consist of whey, casein, chicken sausage, A LOT OF TALAPIA,chicken occasionally, brown rice,broccoli and oatmeal. It looks as I am definitely going to have to eat more, my weight gain has slowed down considerably.

I do believe I am still making gains just not as quickly as I would like but I usually sleep for 10+ hours (college student) and I have cut down on drinking dramatically (1 drink-2 drink at most). I will continue to survey my weight gain and diet for the next 3 months I am currently at 176 and would like to hit 200 lbs by the end of December. Do you believe this is realistic under optimal conditions?

I was in your position a year-year and a half ago, and I realized a few very important things.

1) There is not such thing as a "magic routine," just get to the gym and listen to your body. If you feel like you need to change it up for a bit, then change it up, just don't start flip-flopping goals every other week. You say you have been doing a pretty high volume approach for a while now, so try cutting back on the volume so you can mentally dial in on the few lifts that you will have to perform on that given day.

2) Eat the damn carbs! I'm not really too fond of bread, but get in those potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice however you have too.

Just my $.02.

I could be wrong, but 1LB a week of LBM is an excellent gain. There is no doubt you can gain 24lbs. by December, but how much of it is lean is all dependent on the diet.