T Nation

Do I Need a PCT?

Hey guys new here. Great forum.

So here is my dilemma. I am 31 years old and prescribed TRT by my doc at 200mg per week. I have been on for 2 years but every 20 weeks or so my doc has me do a restart to preserve what hpta I have left.

So every so often I bump the dose like in may i ran 400mg cyp and 400mg deca for 10 weeks and then continued on my 200mg of test per week until mid September.

I have been off since then and feeling pretty awesome actually.

So on 10/30 I decided I was going to go back on and run 300 - 400mg per week for 12 weeks. So I took 200mg on 10/30, then on 11/02 I did 150 mg and then on 11/05 did 150mg. Ended up hurting my elbow really bad and need to come off until Im ready physically. Actually kept all my gains when I came off.

So at this point do I need a PCT? It was only 3 shots. From what I gather suppression doesent start until 2 weeks in and then falls deeper 4 weeks in.

Guys thanks for all your help.

You’re fine.
We could however debate whether you actually need to discontinue your TRT just because you hurt your elbow

i would be interested to know how your doctor figures that he is able to do a “restart” twice per year. Also if you are on legitimate hrt there is no real purpose in a PCT because you are never really off. basically what i am saying is if your doctor is actaully successful at restarting your system twice per year than why the hell are you are hrt to begin with.

One of two things either your restart periods are a total waste of time (which i am betting they are). or you never should have been prescribed trt because if you can bounce back that way after being on for that lenght of time you have one hell of a magical endocrine system. what do these “restarts” consist of?

As far as my elbow I get a cortisone shot today. Nothing is torn. But my doc claims that he wants to make sure I still have hpta function in case I would not be able to use test anywhere.

Basically I cycle twice per year. I dont think I need TRT. I bounce right back after.

But I feel my system needs a break even after running 200mg per week for an extended time. I would have like to run 500 per week now for 10-12 weeks and then break until maye june but might be too much.

[quote]Johnny SInn wrote:
As far as my elbow I get a cortisone shot today. Nothing is torn. But my doc claims that he wants to make sure I still have hpta function in case I would not be able to use test anywhere.

Basically I cycle twice per year. I dont think I need TRT. I bounce right back after.

But I feel my system needs a break even after running 200mg per week for an extended time. I would have like to run 500 per week now for 10-12 weeks and then break until maye june but might be too much. [/quote]

Then why don’t you just do normal 8-12 week cycles with appropriate PCT and off time instead of keeping yourself suppressed at the minimal dose of 200mg/wk for months on end. I don’t know, maybe I’m missing something but it sounds like you can be better off if you if you didn’t follow this strange protocol.

exactly…and your doctor is bordering on malpractice for prescribing it.

Funny thing is prior to my doc I went to an independant company who did the exact same protocol. I personally have always done 12 weekers with a PCT.

Now this Friday I have to get my elbow drained and a cortisone shot and I want to keep to the time on time off protocol and no longer run it all the time. Im sure there will be a time in my life where I have to but not now.

So 3 shots should not have a need for a PCT? I am also running tribulus. Sex drive has been great. Still going 2x a day strong. No AS

And thanks guys and yes I agree. Running 200mg all the time is no good.

Greetings…I’m new to TRT. My GP and I found that I had low testosterone. With the info found on this forum I was able to convince my doc to prescribe test+hcg+ai. So far I’m two months in, but no real benefits yet.

Anyways, I’ve been bothered by a nagging question that I’m hoping someone could help me with. It’s been suggested here and there on this forum that a PCT is not effective or required; I should just keep going indefinitely with my trt. My doc’s opinion is that the dosage of what I’m doing isn’t harmful for ongoing use without breaks. However I have to wonder what the effect is for HPTA shutdown for long periods of time or indefinitely. Will my HPTA dry up permanently?

Can anyone fill me in on this area please? Thanks.

[quote]snakeoids wrote:
Greetings…I’m new to TRT. My GP and I found that I had low testosterone. With the info found on this forum I was able to convince my doc to prescribe test+hcg+ai. So far I’m two months in, but no real benefits yet.

Anyways, I’ve been bothered by a nagging question that I’m hoping someone could help me with. It’s been suggested here and there on this forum that a PCT is not effective or required; I should just keep going indefinitely with my trt. My doc’s opinion is that the dosage of what I’m doing isn’t harmful for ongoing use without breaks. However I have to wonder what the effect is for HPTA shutdown for long periods of time or indefinitely. Will my HPTA dry up permanently?

Can anyone fill me in on this area please? Thanks.[/quote]

You should keep the TRT questions on the Over 35 forum

But to answer your question.
TRT is for life. Your T level is low. It will never increase on its own (Im assuming youre an older guy).

TRT is a treatment of the symptoms not a cure for the problem.

Read the TRT sticky in the over 35 forum if you havent already. How often are you injecting the T? What was your E2 level at most recently?