Do I Know Too Little or Are They Stupid?

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:

this study shows that protein is anabolic to bone, the more veggies/fruit you eat, the more anabolic the protein, and they did not find a bias towards low or high sulfur diets suggesting that as long as a minimum intake of animal protein is met it matters not. Calcium intake is not a factor, but we know that already. The calcium balance mechanism is described as well.

If you take in 1g of magnesium, I guarantee you will shit yourself. ZMA has 450mg per dose and that already affects some people. It is kinda stupid to try to make up for alkaline minerals with pills.

Most pork and beef cuts are not that fatty, one will still need fat or carbs from other sources to get enough food, meanwhile a chicken leg has quite a bit of fat and a decent balance too.

@WW3General: fatty acids are neutral or damn near so, the real issue with meat cooking is when it burns. Anything black is bad. Tasty cajun-y goodness, but bad for you.

Quinoa and sweet potatoes/yams are basic and provide a good whack of minerals and fiber in addition to slow digesting carbs.

Certainly grains suck.

Another PRAL study:
http://www.ajcn.org/content/76/6/1308.long

Moral of the story, eat your meat, eat your veggies, eat your fruit, eat your non-grain starches, and leave the bread for the veggies, because really they are breadatarians who are too lazy to cook meat and need to feel better than you. The way I see it, less meat eaters = cheaper meat.[/quote]
I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. Less meet eaters mean lower quality meet not lower prices. A larger demand for meat drives up prices temporarily for the current quality of meet but drives up the production and quality of meets. More higher quality meat is produced so prices for high quality meet come down to the level of current quality meet over time.
Just like cell phones or plasma tv’s or anything else in a free market.

@MODOK: The acidity problem is measured as the load of mineral ions through the kidney, not of the pH level of the blood (which is well buffered as you point out). It is true that not everyone will experience these negative effects, figures 1 and 2 in this study: http://www.ajcn.org/content/82/5/1107.full.pdf+html (repost) show a clear association, but a very large dispersal.

@TooHuman: quality depends on consumer picky-ness. Most people don’t know shit about meat, others simply don’t have the palate to tell the difference, and mostly meat is eaten in a form that is less than healthy in preparation. There are many factors in quality, but I am pretty sure that economies of scale are not it. One could argue that the increased inputs required and the rising energy costs would actually make more meat more expensive. Quite frankly I don’t think it will significantly increase prices.

It is totally not like the free market. Agriculture, particularly meat is very restricted compared to the electronics you mentioned. It is really hard to say since the market is mature and not changing significantly compared to electronics which are obsolete by the time you get it.

In a market with naive consumers and big grower/processor/sellers the profit will be made by companies for the most part selling shit because price is the issue. If people wanted better meat and were willing to look around and pay a bit more, it would reward producers who look to maximize quality to maximize profit, the margin may be worse or the same, but on a bigger per unit basis, profit could be higher.

A lot of people overpay for ‘high quality’ meat due to marketing and social bragging, this seems to be true the higher the population density or the more your nutritionist/trainer charges an hour. On the flip side I purchase meat of the highest quality usually around store prices. Perhaps it is more a question of what most people are willing to pay for, and I think that it has nothing to do with the actual quality and more the perceived quality(ies).

back to topic at hand…

There seem to be benefits of high potassium intake from food, which contributes to alkaline potential and protects against sodium induced hypertension in most people. Outside of milk and tubers, most excellent potassium sources are veggies and fruit.

Thought people might find this interesting as it pertains to this discussion.
westonaprice.org/modern-diseases/osteoporosis/271-dem-bones

[quote]Sterneneisen wrote:
Disclaimer: I don’t have anything against vegans, just like none of us do, I don’t tell non-militant vegans to eat meat (well, around here there aren’t many), militant vegans are too brain-washed and evil to care about them (and they’ll probably soon be sterile due to too much soy), no vegan pissed me off (recently at least), but it’s fun to make fun of vegans. Since so many are hippie soy-sippin’ barbell-dreadin’ 10"-armed couch potatoes or marathon runners.[/quote]

Judging by the amount of butt hurt you are exuding in that final sentence I’d say you do have something against vegans, that is all.