Do I Have Visceral Fat in my Gut?

Quick rundown: I’m 41 this month, been pretty lean my whole life, hardly ever had to count calories (unless I’m struggling to gain or trying to cut) but always ate pretty healthy, so what I’m saying is, without trying I naturally hovered around 12% BF (maybe 10% in my 20s).

But, I’ve always had a slightly rounded stomach. But always pretty lean around there too. As I’ve gotten older, my stomach has gotten bigger, but still lean. My whole adult life I’ve had somewhat unhappy digestion, so I put it down to that, but lately I thought, man if I relax I look pregnant. So I googled around and saw something about visceral fat accumulating in the gut.

Does anyone have experience of this kind of fat? could it be that all this time, while I thought I wasn’t putting on much fat that I’ve just been hormonally predisposed to store it behind my abs? And importantly, will cutting get rid of it like it does normal subcutaneous fat?

Visceral fat cannot be pinched and the (stomach) is hard…and it’s more difficult to shed than subq but it can be done.

Welcome to the club. As you get older we tend to store it their more.

1 Like

I do believe your diet is the only way to get rid of visceral fat that accumulates in and around the gut. Cut way back on added sugars and alcohol since these nutrients will more likely end up as visceral fat.

I will admit that sugar has crept in surreptitiously of late, through a few protein snacks, sauces and baked beans. I’m tee total though. So it that a thing then? that alcohol and sugar turns to visceral fat? coz that’s interesting if so.

Visceral fat is a type of body fat that’s stored within the abdominal cavity. It’s located near several vital organs, including the liver, stomach, and intestines. … Belly fat can also be subcutaneous fat , stored just under the skin.

This link may help Visceral Fat: What It Is and How to Get Rid of It

The older we get (I’m 67) the more sugar and carbs are our enemy. I can just look at a piece of pizza and watch my abs disappear. HaHa.

Post a picture.

2 Likes

^ this. We have no way of knowing whether you’re ‘lean’ with some visceral fat, or just fat and looking for an explanation.

Also, unless you’re a competitive bodybuilder, 10% is not “pretty lean”, it’s bordering on shredded.

2 Likes

I want hrdlvn to post a pic … damm 67 and abs

1 Like

It really baffles me that people will describe these really weird body types they claim to have, and not think ‘man, this would be so much easier if I just posted a picture.’ But no. Instead we get these overly wordy, confusing topics with half a dozen built in assumptions.

Post a picture dude. More than likely, it’s a combination of a) you just being fatter than you want to admit, b) bad posture, and c) a lack of muscle mass that makes any fat on you noticeable. This is essentially what I’m picturing based on your description, so if this is not accurate, a picture would be super helpful.

2 Likes

The issue is, the camera adds 20lbs.

And some dudes have like 3 or 4 cameras pointed at them at any given time.

7 Likes

What the hell are you talking about?
I think Flip is making perfect sense. Without a pict of the problem we are all guessing.
OP give us a pict of your problem or we will just drop it.

I am employing a rhetorical device known as “humor” in order to convey that people tend to not want to post photos of themselves online because the photos show that they are fatter than they want to really believe they are.

“The camera adds 20lbs” is a hyperbolic reutilization of the traditional phrase “the camera adds 10lbs”, which, in turn, refers to the notion that when one is presented in 2 dimensions rather than 3, they will appear heavier.

In turn, when I stated that “some dudes have like 3 or 4 cameras pointed at them”, the punchline is the inference that people who refuse to post their photos to help diagnose the issue do so because they are 60-80lbs overweight.

Absent of them posting this photo, they can delude themselves on how they look. As soon as it’s shared though, it all becomes obvious.

I hope that has clarified what the hell I was talking about.

9 Likes

I remember reading about a study measuring visceral and subcutaneous fat in regards to intermittent fasting. It turned out that during fasting intervals, visceral fat seemed to be redirected to subcutaneous fat. The study hence attributed some of the thought health benefits of IF to the reduction of visceral fat. Can’t find the study right now though.

1 Like

There is nothing worse than having to explain a punchline.

2 Likes

But he did it ever so eloquently

1 Like

Well, if you’re gonna do it, it’s best to really rub someone’s nose in it.

1 Like

I was entertained by both the punchline and the explanation.

2 Likes

The explanation might’ve been funnier even.

Anyone who is worried about visceral fat as a health marker should get a DEXA scan.

1 Like