Do I Have Anterior Pelvic Tilt ?

Title, not sure if I have it or not and need to know if I should be working towards fixing it or if it is all in my head. Thank you for any responses :slight_smile:
Also don’t mind my current physique, I haven’t trained in 6 weeks unfortunately.

Yes, you have some APT; it’s not extreme IMO, but it’s there some.

That said, IMO everyone should always be looking to balance out the strength and mobility that help to prevent (or, in cases where there is already imbalance, correct) postural dysfunction. That means strengthening the Glutes/Hamstrings and stretching the quads/hip flexors. But, it also means strengthening the spinal flexors and stretching the spinal extensors.

^ What Sentoguy said.

I have some lordosis and/or anterior pelvic tilt going on too. I find that to stand with correct posture I have to feel like I’m tilting my pelvis forward a bit, and giving my low back a bit of a camel. That’s what “correct” feels like. Also, when I cue myself to keep shoulders down and back, I sometimes lean my upper spine backward too far (too proud a chest). If it’s too much, it just emphasizes my tendency to curve my back too much, on both ends - upper back and pelvis - if that makes sense.

I’ve been doing a lot of push pressing which will REALLY tell on you if you do it incorrectly. I have to really concentrate on keeping my core tight and standing correctly or my low back will be WAY sore. You know you are doing it wrong when you’re trying to hit delts, but you feel like you just did a low back workout, and you find that you are trying to stabilize the BB overhead by sticking your booty out . I try to correct my posture in the mirror before I even grab a BB, and then to do it “straight” I feel like I’m curving my pelvis forward. I think self correcting in the mirror is one of the best things you can do, until you get a feel for what “correct” should feel like.

Strengthening your core as much as you can is always good. I had a physician tell me that he thought mine was caused from a weak core after my pregnancies. This can certainly be made worse as your body attempts to compensate for weak abdominal muscles. You generally want to start looking at the opposing muscle group - along with imbalances and tightness as Sentoguy suggested.

Thanks guys I’ll start working on fixing it then, out of curiosity how severe would you put my APT on a scale of 1-10 ?

I think it’s tough to give a number value to something like that. Just be aware that it’s there and as long as it’s not causing you severe or chronic pain, then it’s not severe. That doesn’t mean that you should ignore it though, because it could very well wind up giving you problems down the road if ignored.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I think it’s tough to give a number value to something like that. Just be aware that it’s there and as long as it’s not causing you severe or chronic pain, then it’s not severe. That doesn’t mean that you should ignore it though, because it could very well wind up giving you problems down the road if ignored.[/quote]

Understood, thankyou

One more thing. This is basic, but I’ve just started using a belt for standing overhead lifts.

It’s not a cure, but it’s helps cue me to keep my pelvis tucked a bit, and it’s relieved the tendency to get sore in my low back.

Do you have any pain when doing standing push presses, or with military pressing?