Do I Have Anterior Pelvic Tilt?

Hey guys, I’ve been dealing with excessively tight hips/glutes with causes lower back pain when lifting/doing core exercises?

Judging by the picture, would you say I have Anterior Pelvic tilt?

Hey man, good on you for recognizing you have tight hips and reaching out for help. Takes a lot of balls IMO.

Good news, you can get this fixed up fairly easily by a few simple warm ups as well as some changes in assistance work.

First, lets start with your new warm up, watch this video and perform this routine daily, it’s everything I’d recommendd to get your hips loose and get your glutes firing. If you can do it more than once a day even better.

then do this warm up for your upper body, but save the pec stretching for after benching… don’t forget it though.

These 2 warm ups by themselves will go a very long way to fix you up.

However, you’re most likely in school, so you’re sitting down all the time, so we’ve got to take this a bit further.

Before you start any of your workouts, I want you to perform 2x20 hyper extensions, and 2 x20 machine row or cable row with a wide grip. Really squeeze your shoulder blades together.

The hyperextensions are there to work your hamstrings, which will help prevent you from going back into pelvic tilt, and all the rows will help pull your shoulders back… this will also make your neck straighter, and if you really work at it, you’ll likely grow a half inch to full inch… I did.

Now do you workout. I’d like to hear your routine if you don’t mind posting it, I hope it includes squats and deadlifts… bench and press are good, but you have to be squatting and deadlifting or this won’t work.

after lower body days work your hamstrings and glutes like they stole something, this will reinforce posture and correct your tilt. On upper body days, just tons of back. you can do some shoulders and triceps and bieps, but only after you’ve done 5-10 sets of back… preferably 10 sets of back. do 5 heavy sets of some kind of row, and 5 sets of some kind of pull down or chin up… then do whatever you want.

That’s about it man, but I’m going to ask you for one more thing since I typed all this up… post your squat, bench and deadlift videos, so we can see how you’re doing, and we’ll let you know what you’re doing well, and what you can improve upon.

Let me know if you have any questions at all man.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

That’s about it man, but I’m going to ask you for one more thing since I typed all this up… post your squat, bench and deadlift videos, so we can see how you’re doing, and we’ll let you know what you’re doing well, and what you can improve upon.

Let me know if you have any questions at all man.[/quote]

Hey man, thank you so much for the detailed response!!!

RIght, so I haven’t actually been lifting for a few months now. I’ve been dealing this “back” issue for a while now. So my current routine is :swim 2km 3x a week and just started hitting bikram yoga 2x a week.

My Chiro has been realigning me for a while now, but he’ s not doing anything more than giving me basic glute stretches and saying “yeah do those and stand up whenever u can you’ll be better in no time!” Welll it’s been awhile now…

So I currently cannot lift, run, do jumping jacks, without feeling pain/tightness in my hips/lower back, which once inflamed radiates toward my middle back. (btw left hip is much tighter then right, thats where the pain always starts)

So I am now looking for alternative solutions, hopefully this will help!

I don’t want to go against your chiro… but I find a lot of them are full of crap.

I dealt with a very similar low back injury and it took me 6 months to get over it… I kept lifting, and would usually feel better after lifting, then tighten up. I saw chiros and physios like crazy, and they just kept focusing on my injury with nothing to correct it.

I would stretch my low back, and use a lacrosse ball on my glutes and I’d get temporary relief, but then I’d tighten up again.

The issue isn’t your glutes, stretching them will make it worse, you want to strengthen them.

Do the above warm up, and I guarantee you’ll get almost immediate relief.

As well buy a band, and do banded good mornings and band pull aparts. do 5 sets of 20 daily. This will strengthen the muscles you need to help pull you into better alignment, I keep a band beside the couch and do it almost daily. that’s on top of all the other stuff I do in the gym.

Do that for a month, and I guarantee you’ll be feeling a ton better and be able to lift again soon. Keep getting adjustments if you can afford them though, they do help even you out.

Yup, do this all the time

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
I would stretch my low back, and use a lacrosse ball on my glutes and I’d get temporary relief, but then I’d tighten up again.

Really, so I shouldnt stretch my glutes at all? As it does seem to relieve it, I just have to make sure I do it everyday.

[quote]
Do that for a month, and I guarantee you’ll be feeling a ton better and be able to lift again soon. Keep getting adjustments if you can afford them though, they do help even you out.[/quote]

Wow, thank you so much!

Sounds like were in the exact same boat! I’ve seen 3 different physios and 1 chiro and non of them have helped. It baffles me that they don’t take it more seriously seeing as I haven’t done anything that I use to in the last year (lift intensely, kick-box, mountain running etc) But they just want me to continue swimming and do yoga for the time being.

Which I don’t mind but Life Without an AGGRESSIVE anaerobic outlet is boring IMO…

I will defiantly keep seeing the Chiro as he provides a super cheap student rate, and I’ll try that warm up this afternoon for sure. Gonna go get myself a band as well.

Cheers

I’d ditch the yoga for the time being myself, just stick with the warm ups above and the band work for a month.

There are muscles you want to be tight and muscles you want to get loose, you want the pecs and shoulders loose, and the upper back tight to pull your shoulders back into alligment.

As well you want the hips loose, and the glutes and hamstrings tight… I’d drop the glute stretches, and focus on the banded good mornings and really squeeze your ass cheeks. but you could always get a ball hockey ball or baseball, and use that on your glutes like this.

this would be much better than stretching, and should help out quite a bit. I used to do this a lot.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
I’d ditch the yoga for the time being myself, just stick with the warm ups above and the band work for a month.

There are muscles you want to be tight and muscles you want to get loose, you want the pecs and shoulders loose, and the upper back tight to pull your shoulders back into alligment.

As well you want the hips loose, and the glutes and hamstrings tight… I’d drop the glute stretches, and focus on the banded good mornings and really squeeze your ass cheeks. but you could always get a ball hockey ball or baseball, and use that on your glutes like this.

this would be much better than stretching, and should help out quite a bit. I used to do this a lot.[/quote]

Thanks man!

So just do the Warm up, band work, and roll hips/piriformis for the next month?

I can’t wait to get back to lifting, it’s been well over a year now since I was at my peak.

just start seriously training front squats and power clean. front squat especially does miracles.

[quote]NikH wrote:
just start seriously training front squats and power clean. front squat especially does miracles.[/quote]

I can’t do anything lower body atm, not even running.

The left hip is much tigher (feels like its higher up) than the thus causing pain from that type of movement, gotta get this all sorted before I can jump back into squats, believe me, id love to

squats fix most things, lol… but for the moment, just stick with my advice. There’s so many things wrong with only front squatting and power cleaning in this situation it’s not even funny.