Do Glute-Ham Raises Assist Deadlift?

Does getting stronger in the glute ham raise help you to get stronger in deadlifts?

Quite a few strength coaches prescribe the glute-ham raise as a deadlift assistance exercise, but I honestly can’t see how a knee-flexion exercise would get you better at hip extension (deadlifting). How does that work?

Also, if someone has a beastly glute-ham raise, eg. they can do 12 reps ‘natural’ (ie. not on a machine) glute ham raises - do they necessarily have a strong posterior chain? I don’t think so.

The GHR is a very good movement. It builds strong hams and glutes, low back etc. Is it necessary?, no but it goes a long way to making me less of a weak bitch lol. I own the EFS Home GHR and love it. The big thing about the GHR is that it works the Hams at both insertion and origin at the same time. ( I hope I said that right, I’m no Dr or pretend to be like some fuckers on here :slight_smile: - thats sarcasm kids)

I also flip ovr and do my AB- yes AB,as I don’t have a 6 pack lol with it.

It trains the hamstring from both ends of insertion, strengths lower back, glutes, and to some extent for some reason my calves. All of these will lead to stronger deadlift or really any pull by becoming stronger

[quote]Reed wrote:
It trains the hamstring from both ends of insertion, strengths lower back, glutes, and to some extent for some reason my calves. All of these will lead to stronger deadlift or really any pull by becoming stronger [/quote]

This…it sounds like the OP has read too many exercise books and stopped applying common sense…obviously an exercise that strengthens your glutes & hammies is also going to carry over to an exercise that relies heavily on glutes and hammies (dat der deadlift). Who gives a fuck what your knee is doing? Book worms…that’s who!

OP, how much do you deadlift?

[quote]alternate wrote:
Does getting stronger in the glute ham raise help you to get stronger in deadlifts?

Quite a few strength coaches prescribe the glute-ham raise as a deadlift assistance exercise, but I honestly can’t see how a knee-flexion exercise would get you better at hip extension (deadlifting). How does that work?

Also, if someone has a beastly glute-ham raise, eg. they can do 12 reps ‘natural’ (ie. not on a machine) glute ham raises - do they necessarily have a strong posterior chain? I don’t think so.[/quote]

There are many ways to do a glute ham raise to focus on different areas. The most common one is where the line from your knees to the top of your head are in a straight line. Sure there isn’t and movement in the hips but you still should be squeezing the shit out of your glutes when you reverse the movement. I also like to push out at my knees the entire time which teaches and reinforces that I need to spread my knees and really drive my hips through.

I’ve never tried it, but good mornings seem to do the trick for me.