T Nation

Do Chest and Back on the Same Day?

hi… is it true that you should workout chest and back on the same day? otherwise, you’ll have a humped back… That’s just what i heard from a guy in the gym. what if, you do chest today, and back tomorrow? would that be fine?

[quote]beibitoi wrote:
hi… is it true that you should workout chest and back on the same day? otherwise, you’ll have a humped back… That’s just what i heard from a guy in the gym. what if, you do chest today, and back tomorrow? would that be fine?[/quote]

chest and back are good to train together, this has been done by many including arnold, i think it is good to alternate chest and back either supersetting or just alternating, i.e, flat bench superd with chins, or rest in between, either way you will get a nice upper body pump even in the arms whoever told you that about a humped back or whatever is clueless

The guy from your gym is incorrect. I have never heard of such bullocks. I train back before chest. Chest and back I think can’t be done. They are both large muscles groups that need a specific day to train them effectively. Specially back. back day is one of the hardest days of the week. Second only to legs.

I’ve read a lot suggesting that supersetting back and chest is more beneficial than working them on different days, same with bis and tris.

The humped back thing happens when you work the chest too often and the back not enough. Far too many people push a lot more than they pull. As long as you work them equally you’ll be fine, same day or separate.

It is most definnitely a good idea to train them on the same day. However, you aren’t going to be “screwed up” if you don’t. If you want a perfect Example, check out the 200 rep challenge that was put on this site a little while back. That thing is a beast!

Its not bad. I do it a lot. So go for it. Saves some time.

There’s no “should” however it is “okay”

Perfectly fine. I don’t understand why you couldn’t do it. If you choose not to do it, that’s fine too. Just make sure you put in the same intensity and volume for your back day that you do for your chest day.