T Nation

Do Cardio While Gaining Weight?

Some say yes and some say no. if so, how much cardio?

If your an ecto, i’d say no, and if your going to do some, probably HIIT

If you have some reason to do cardio, do it. If not, why make things more complicated than they need to be?

Why would you not do cardio?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Why would you not do cardio?[/quote]

1.) its not fun
2.) you potentially lose muscle mass
3.) It not necessary
4.) Its not fun!

[quote]dankid wrote:
blazindave wrote:

1.) its not fun
3.) It not necessary
4.) Its not fun![/quote]

1. Booooooooooooooooring

[quote]dankid wrote:
blazindave wrote:

1.) its not fun
3.) It not necessary
4.) Its not fun![/quote]

I think the whole “lose muscle mass” is bullshit.
As for it being not fun, what type of “cardio” do you guys have in mind? Cardio is not get on a treadmill or stationary bike.

Cardio is this:

http://www.northcarolinaoutdoors.com/pastimes/hiking/images/abigailtablerock199d28b.jpg

It doesn’t have to be confined to the gym. Actually, cardio/endurance should rarely be mentioned in the same breath as “gym”.

As long as you have your heart pumping for extended periods of time and leaves you out of breath at the end of your session, it’s considered “cardio”.
Go climb a mountain, go mountain biking, take a jog up a hill or forest.
Duh.

Walk on the steepest incline post work-out for 20 minutes. Your glycogen will be depleted post-workout and your body will most likely oxidze fat into energy as oposed to muscle with this type of less intense cardio. It is also great for improving leg development!

[quote]dankid wrote:
blazindave wrote:

1.) its not fun
3.) It not necessary
4.) Its not fun![/quote]

Are you retarded? Your “arguments”;

1. retarded
  2. so what? you can potentially lose muscle mass from gym work too. It’s about calorie in vs calorie out. Maybe this guy wants to go on a bulking phase without coming out a fat, unconditioned slob.
  3. stupid
  4. idiotic

Just walk the dog 2 or three times a week. Maybe do some sled dragging for 60m and 5-6 sets with moderate weight on an off day. Try it with 60-90s of rest. If you could care less about the health benefits of staying in good cardiovascular shape, let me reiterate that it’ll only help your calf development. Forward sled drags will do wonders in the calf department.

But more than anything. . .

DO IT BECAUSE IT’S HEALTHY!

My resting heart rate is 51-53 bpm (sinus bradycardia), and I’m sure that’s a good thing.

Oh ya, Alwyn Cosgrove’s Barbell Complexes are good for off-day cardio if you’re looking for something a little less boring than walking.

Also, one last thing, Racquetball is a blast and it’s great cardio.

How is going on a treadmill not cardio? my opinion running is running. there’s really no where in miami i can climb hills, mountians, forrests ect. running on a treadmill is much more convienent. I’ve heard cardio is good when you’re gaining weight cause you’re boosting your metabolism. that’s not true?

[quote]brian9955 wrote:
How is going on a treadmill not cardio? my opinion running is running. there’s really no where in miami i can climb hills, mountians, forrests ect. running on a treadmill is much more convienent. I’ve heard cardio is good when you’re gaining weight cause you’re boosting your metabolism. that’s not true?[/quote]

Yep with the more calories you burn, the more likely that a caloric surplus will form lean mass.

Whats your height/weight and BF%

[quote]brian9955 wrote:
How is going on a treadmill not cardio? my opinion running is running. there’s really no where in miami i can climb hills, mountians, forrests ect. running on a treadmill is much more convienent. I’ve heard cardio is good when you’re gaining weight cause you’re boosting your metabolism. that’s not true?[/quote]

Um…you’re kidding right? First of all, what happens if you stop running on a working treadmill? It moves you backwards.
When you run on a treadmill, theres less hamstring work because the treadmill practically brings your leg back.
No one said it wasnt cardio, but its useless cardio.
I said that I don’t call it real cardio.
Running on a treadmill is the equivalent of doing squat rack curls…but using water bottles as weights.
Also, if you’re going to run for half an hour…why not just run 15 minutes in one direction (outside) and then run back?
Running outside is way harder than running on a treadmill. There’s actually technique involved. Running on a treadmill has no wind resistance or anything.
I could go on, but if you’re so hardcore and you can squat 4000 tons and complain that “people these days know nothing about training” and " i miss the good old days" , then im sure you can be man enough to put on your fucking shoes and head out the door.

Also, biking on a stationary bike is more difficult than biking on a real bike. This is because you cant coast, etc…but theres also no wind variation.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
dankid wrote:
blazindave wrote:

1.) its not fun
3.) It not necessary
4.) Its not fun!

I think the whole “lose muscle mass” is bullshit.
As for it being not fun, what type of “cardio” do you guys have in mind? Cardio is not get on a treadmill or stationary bike.

Cardio is this:

http://www.northcarolinaoutdoors.com/pastimes/hiking/images/abigailtablerock199d28b.jpg

It doesn’t have to be confined to the gym. Actually, cardio/endurance should rarely be mentioned in the same breath as “gym”.

As long as you have your heart pumping for extended periods of time and leaves you out of breath at the end of your session, it’s considered “cardio”.
Go climb a mountain, go mountain biking, take a jog up a hill or forest.
Duh.

[/quote]

I really agree. So many people talk about how they want to be a better athlete but then don’t take the necessary steps. Eat more, exercise more, improve endurance, win on every level

It ain’t easy to walk to the top of a mountain. It’s a long, hard walk. It’s a rocky road. But I plan on walking. HARD.

-blazindave

i definitely agree with you. makes a lot more sense to actually run outside with the wind resistance ect. it probably makes a big difference, but i guess it’s more convenience than anything that’s why people run on the treadmill. i do run atleast once a week outside, but the main this is i wasn’t sure if cardio was a good thing while im trying to loose weight. i lost a little bit of weight…i was under 150lbs and as of monday when i started to eat ALOT more my weight was about 141, but im going to weigh again today to see if there was a change. the last time i had my body fat checked i think i was around 5% but that was a while ago.

Ya you shouldn’t be doing cardio at all, unless your trying to become a marathon runner.

Is this thread a joke?

[quote]brian9955 wrote:
-blazindave

i definitely agree with you. makes a lot more sense to actually run outside with the wind resistance ect. it probably makes a big difference, but i guess it’s more convenience than anything that’s why people run on the treadmill. i do run atleast once a week outside, but the main this is i wasn’t sure if cardio was a good thing while im trying to loose weight. i lost a little bit of weight…i was under 150lbs and as of monday when i started to eat ALOT more my weight was about 141, but im going to weigh again today to see if there was a change. the last time i had my body fat checked i think i was around 5% but that was a while ago.[/quote]

No problem. Sorry if i came off as too aggressive in my post :stuck_out_tongue:

I didnt really answer your question. I’ll even give you some pointers to help you with the cardio.

Remember that no matter what exercise you do, whether it be aerobic or anaerobic, there will always be muscle involvement. So no matter what you do, muscle WILL be built. You can have the shittiest program in the world, but if you stick to it, you will have some improvements.
So, by walking, running, swimming, biking, rowing, jumping, etc…there will always be some muscle involvment and always some tearing of the muscle.
However low intensity high rep (basically cardio/endurance) keeps this to a minimum.

Pick a “cardio” sport: rowing, running, biking or swimming.
I would pick between running and swimming since they are the most taxing aerobically and anaerobically as well.

I would do at least one hour twice a week.
I would pick wednesday and saturday.
Like this you have 2-3 day break so you wont lose anything but you ll still have gains. It’s also just enough so that it wont affect your weight training.

Try to keep your heart rate at an intensity of 75 percent max heart rate (MAX HEART RATE = 220-age) or if you re advanced enough, you can go up to 85 percent of max heart rate.
So if you’re 20, your max heart rate (100 percent) is 200 beats per minute. So if you want to run at 75 percent of MHR, you do .80 times that number…so for a 20 year old = 160 beats per minute.
You can buy a cheap heart rate monitor for this. Those straps with the watch that go around your chest. Not that practical for swimming.

Cardio wont take out muscle, it might actually put some on. It’s all about intensity and consistancy. That’s not just exercise, but a rule of life. If you’ve seen some triathletes or bikers, they’re ripped to the bone.
You can see from my pic the definition on my legs. Not to brag. I wasnt doing any weight training or anything like that. However i ran and biked my ass off (i was lazy with swimming).
You WILL lose muscle if you dont eat enough.
Don’t knock any form of exercise, they all have their place.

After you’re able to run for an hour comfortably at 75-85 percent max heart rate, you can make it much more difficult. You can actually implement something which is like HIIT. It’s called “fartlek”, which was invented by a swedish guy decades ago. It means “speed play”. The point is some days you ll run long distances fast, long distances slow, short distances slow, short distances fast, etc…
Since you’re only doing it twice a week (or at least one) you can just implement it directly into your training.
Jog easily for the first 10 minutes. The beauty about cardio is that you dont need to warm up, because since you re doing low intensity, you warm up while you do the exercise.
When you feel you’re good to go, sprint as fast as you can for 12 seconds, after the 12 seconds are up, keep jogging/running as you did when you start. Repeat this every 5 minutes.

So basically:
Jog comfortably but pushing it a bit
5 minutes in, sprint as fast as you can for 13 seconds (really all out), then when the 13 seconds are done, you go back to your jogging speed. Then repeat.
You never stop, you never slow down. Always back to that same jogging speed.

This is a form of active recovery. This will teach your body to be able to recover while moving. So you can give it your all, and then you recover while still moving.

If you do start jogging, send me a PM. There’s actually a technique to running and if you run wrong you can/will destroy your knees. Shoes also affect how you run and whether your knee takes impact or not. It wont kill you but it might help you down the road when you age. I’m not going to go into it now since ill take 10 pages.
For the jogging, take quick small steps. Your knee is always bent. Always land on the ball of your foot NEVER your heel. EVER. For sprinting you can take longer strides. Everything must be relaxed but slightly tensed. From your ears down to your hips, it should be a straight line and body perpendicular to floor.
Also, run outside.

This could help you with weight lifting, your heart will be more efficient and will be able to pump blood faster to your muscles and supply more oxygen. Your heart is a muscle too, and id even go as far as saying its the most important.

Anyway i think that’s enough. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Good luck.

I just wrote the longest fucking post and it fucking crashed. Argh, ill post it again tomorrow.