Do Bodybuilders have Low Relative Strength?

So I’ve been studying a lot of on the concept of relative strength and how it affects a person’s athletic performance and mobility speed. A lot of people and sources that I’ve read say that bodybuilders are relatively weak pound for pound.

However, it is my knowledge that Ronnie Coleman has a max squat of about 800-900 lbs. and that he weighs about 315 lbs. This means that he can squat aprrox. 2.53-2.67 his own bodyweight. Therefore, it would seem like he would actually has high relative strength.

So, I am confused and would appreciate any clarification.

WHO CARES?

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]Dead_For_Life wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

combo breaker

/thread

this thread reminds me of the old T-Nation. i think the forum separation may be working.

most bbers don’t train that way for a reason… the sport doesn’t give you medals for max lifts and size gains are outweighed by risk

Ian McCarthy, is that you?

“Ev’r body wanna be a bodybuilder but don’t nobody wanna lift no heavy.ass.weight”

People train for their goals. Were Ronnie or Dorian weak? Hell no. It’s impossible train (correctly) for years on end without your strength improving. However, was their ultimate goal to see how strong they could get? Nope. Yates always said he had no clue how much he could lift because it didn’t make a difference to his pursuits. Ronnie started out powerlifting, and definitely had the genetics to be one strong S.O.B., but the guy trained in fairly high rep ranges for the majority of his career as a bodybuilder.

S

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
However, it is my knowledge that Ronnie Coleman has a max squat of about 800-900 lbs.[/quote]
In full powerlifting gear you forgot to mention.

Also who cares

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
However, it is my knowledge that Ronnie Coleman has a max squat of about 800-900 lbs.[/quote]

In full powerlifting gear you forgot to mention.

Wendler was half size of Coleman and squatted 1000lb.

Also who cares[/quote]

of course :slight_smile:

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]Dead_For_Life wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

LMFAO at this thread. Im glad to see overwhelming unity in the face of pointless threads.

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
LMFAO at this thread. Im glad to see overwhelming unity in the face of pointless threads.[/quote]

OP getting a kick out of it too though…stirring shit up.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
combo breaker[/quote]

Thats racist.