DNA Test 23andme / AncestryDNA

I know some folks have expressed interest in seeing the results of my 23andme DNA test. The reports should be completed soon.

Ha … what dumb name

FTR I’m really interested in this - looking forward to seeing your results … might be the nudge I need to do it myself

2 Likes

Whats dumb about the name Christopher?

I’m pretty sure that’s his name too.

no, I think he meant 23andme

Oh, maybe. I donno…

Testy1 - nothing, I’m just joking around … thanks for taking it seriously and ruining it … YOU ALWAYS RUIN EVERYTHING, sir (see, respect).

usmccds - no, my name is not Chris and there’s nothing wrong with that name :frowning: … what a fail of ball busting THAT was.

Lol… You’re smartassedness has fooled us all!

and here I thought y’all knew me … guess I’ll have to up my rate of postings, quality be damned!

It was $199…

The wife was mad enough about this one!

Okay, so I finally go the reports. There are 65 in total. I haven’t had a chance to go through them all; except for briefly, but I’ll go ahead and post some stuff up anyone. All in all, I have to say the carrier status reports are probably the only thing that’s really of value. The rest of the information is neat, but not eye-opening. Form your own judgements, though.

Here is the format:

I’m not going to post everything (don’t worry), but I’ll post some sample reports.

I thought the carrier status reports were by far the most useful and where the money’s at. 23andme determines if you are a carrier for 36 different genetic disorders. Examples below:

Each of the above has their own report that explains what was tested for (for example ARSACS tested for 6594delT variant in the SACS gene), limitations of the test, what ethnicities are relevant (French Canadian for ARSACS), symptom, etc… Fortunately, no variant’s were detected for any of the 36 genetic disorders that were tested for so unfortunately for you I can’t show you what that would look like.

The next report section is the Wellness reports sections. It includes 4 reports. They include caffeine consumption, lactose intolerance, alcohol flush reaction, and muscle composition.

You can break this down even further by clicking scientific details.

Next, you’ve got traits. This includes facial features, hair, skin, etc… There are 22 reports. I won’t get into those, but they follow the same general template as above.

Finally, there are 3 ancestry reports:

So now I know without a shadow of a doubt why I can’t dance.

I also thought this was neat:

1 Like

So you’re a healthy, half-monkey white bread, cracker ass honky

5 Likes

Basically this, lol.

1 Like

Looks like it really was a comprehensive test. Cool stuff.

Seeing about the ACTN3 gene, I wonder if you’ve previously how noticed you respond to explosive exercises (sprints, med ball work, cleans, etc.). If you’re “built” to respond well, it might be interesting to work them in a bit more often and see if anything clicks.

Being more Neanderthal than 85% of other people sounds pretty awesome too.

I can’t say much about the med ball work or cleans (I just don’t do them enough), but I can tell you growing up I was a natural sprinter. I was usually one of the fastest guys on any baseball or basketball team I played on and have alway disliked and struggled with anything over a mile.

I’m gonna have to look more in the Neanderthal variants. That is pretty interesting. They say it’s only 4% of my overall DNA, though.

Cousin!

post must be 20 char

2 Likes