T Nation

DMAE Banned in Australia

Apparently DMAE, like DMAA, is on the banned list now in our lovely little nanny state in the South Pacific.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Hey mate,

I walked past the supplement store the other day and they were advertising Jack3d, saying “buy it before its banned”.

I don’t know why. I don’t use those products anyway.

tweet

The guy at GNC told me the same thing the other day, “buy as many as you can while we still got them.”

sad days.

I don’t use it, because of drug testing, but I’ve been reading into it because I get some newlstters from wholesalers.

Someone else might expand a bit, but as far as I’m led to believe it’s due to apparent health risks. Which probably means some dumbass decided to have too much of a good thing and killed themself, so it’s off limits to everyone.

It’s going to be illegal to sell this month (the 15th), so most retailers/wholesalers are trying to get rid of all their stock and won’t get any more in. So…this:

[quote]lbraga wrote:
“buy as many as you can while we still got them.”[/quote]

what is dmae and why would it be illegal?

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
what is dmae and why would it be illegal?
[/quote]
It’s a source of choline for the brain. It has some sort of positive affects on the brain and is a nootropic. It’s also in Brain Candy.

DMAA has been banned as of 1 Aug, following a number of other countries due to some US soldiers OD’ing and as a resulting dying from taking - what I believe was 533mg - of DMAA. Which is a shit load.

Any product that contains it has been banned. But they have been on the banned list for powerlifting Aus for a while now anyways. Was just a matter of time before they were canned.

Apparently they are ‘similar’ in chemical structure to speed double check that.

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
DMAA has been banned as of 1 Aug, following a number of other countries due to some US soldiers OD’ing and as a resulting dying from taking - what I believe was 533mg - of DMAA. Which is a shit load.

Any product that contains it has been banned. But they have been on the banned list for powerlifting Aus for a while now anyways. Was just a matter of time before they were canned.

[/quote]

The OP is saying DMAE is also banned, not just DMAA

I’d like to know why DMAE is being banned. I use it with Aniracetam.

I was at a chemistry conference about a month ago when I saw a poster about detecting levels of DMAE in different supplements and determining whether the source of DMAE was synthetic or natural in origin.

Of the 20 to 30 supplement brands tested, Jack3d came it at number one with over 20 percent DMAE by mass and it’s all synthetic.

It exceeded every other supplement by at least 15%.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]sexyxe wrote:

[/quote]

The OP is saying DMAE is also banned, not just DMAA[/quote]

My bad, I read his post as “DMAE is banned, so is DMAA, why are they?”

From the quick google search I just performed, and some Wiki, it seems pretty ‘harmless’. Apparently its also in some creams for beauty products.

Just to clarify it was DMAE I was referring to. Biotest Australia will no longer supply Brain Candy or Metabolic Drive products. I’m not a big supplement user anyway. Was hoping to get some Brain Candy for study reasons.

[quote]Huh? wrote:
Just to clarify it was DMAE I was referring to. Biotest Australia will no longer supply Brain Candy or Metabolic Drive products. I’m not a big supplement user anyway. Was hoping to get some Brain Candy for study reasons.
[/quote]

DMAE is not banned in Australia, but has been classed as a Schedule 4 drug (Prescription only). The only products this effects at Biotest Australia and New Zealand is Powerdrive and Brain Candy.

Metabolic Drive is definitely still available in Australia.