DLing 315 IS Inspirational!

Eric Cressey knows a lot about training and having the right attitude, and I don’t mean to be an obnoxious troll or anything, but in my opinion hitting a 315 deadlift is an amazing accomplishment, especially for those with average genetics.

I was so proud when I was first able to deadlift 225: that’s 2 plates on each side, a respectable amount of weight. I’m going to be so hyped to lift 315 (I’m at least a year away, maybe 18 months) if everything goes well. 3 plates on each side is a lot of weight by any standard, meatheads and genetic prodigies be damned. 99.9% can’t deadlift over 500, let alone 635.

I don’t want to lift a huge amount of weight just to show off. I simply want a physique that’s pleasant to look at, the whole point of bodybuilding! Lifting 315 at 5% body fat (another goal of mine) is plenty to look good naked, Brad Pitt style, and I think anything more than that is getting into the realm of obsession and potential injury. Deadlifting 315 is a huge goal and dismissing it as trivial simply isn’t true for the average lifter. I started out at 135, and am almost twice as strong as I used to be, and 315 is a big deal, period.

Overall, my standards for being “impressive” are 225 for benching (2 45’s on each side), 275 for squatting (2 45’s and 2 25’s on each side) and 315 for deadlifting (3 45’s on each side). With those numbers comes a good looking body, plus that number of plates simply looks good on the bar.

I respect others’ opinions on their ideal lifts and bodies, but I am very proud of my own goals, especially in the context of my mediocre genetics.

Those are only numbers and they make no guarantee about a good-looking body.

There are fat guys who can lift crazy weight, but who look no “better” than a dude who’s only excerise is lifting chicken wings.

But Eric was talking about getting stronger… not looking good. There are lots of people who look pretty decent who don’t lift at all.

Well if that is inspirational to you then that’s good I guess. EC said that adult males with completly normal genetics can DL 400 in less than two years. I have to agree with him.

If you really put your mind to it you can get to 315 very fast. I don’t think I have good genetics and I DL’d 365 @ 200 after about 6 months of training. A 315 bench is inspiring imo.

It’s going to take you 12-18 months to go from 225 to 315? Are you lifting weights?

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
I respect others’ opinions on their ideal lifts and bodies, but I am very proud of my own goals, especially in the context of my mediocre genetics.[/quote]

Then nothing more needs to be said. If you’re happy, that’s all that matters.

Besides, he said that to elicit a little controversy and get you to really think about the article. Plus, he is a powerlifter that has competed, and trains a lot of people. He’s a bit desensitized to “average” strength.

I simply want a physique that’s pleasant to look at, the whole point of bodybuilding! Lifting 315 at 5% body fat (another goal of mine) is plenty to look good naked, Brad Pitt style, and I think anything more than that is getting into the realm of obsession and potential injury…

I respect others’ opinions on their ideal lifts and bodies, but I am very proud of my own goals, especially in the context of my mediocre genetics.[/quote]

Isn’t that a contradiction? If you respect everyone else’s opinions, then why do you call anything above 315 obsession and potential injury? That is not respecting my opinion. That sounds like the fat guy saying dieting is bad for you.

What I understood is that you respect everyone’s opinion as long as their progress doesn’t belittle yours.

Having said this, it is your choice to aim for those numbers as it is my choice to aim for a 585 DL within a year.

But realize that EC does know what he’s talking about; and an average gym goers probably CAN hit 315 quite easily if they eat right and train right, probably within a few weeks.

And an average gym goer by definition has average or mediocre genetics.

I was so proud when I was first able to deadlift 225: that’s 2 plates on each side, a respectable amount of weight. I’m going to be so hyped to lift 315 (I’m at least a year away, maybe 18 months) if everything goes well. 3 plates on each side is a lot of weight by any standard, meatheads and genetic prodigies be damned. 99.9% can’t deadlift over 500, let alone 635.

I don’t want to lift a huge amount of weight just to show off. I simply want a physique that’s pleasant to look at, the whole point of bodybuilding! Lifting 315 at 5% body fat (another goal of mine) is plenty to look good naked, Brad Pitt style, and I think anything more than that is getting into the realm of obsession and potential injury. Deadlifting 315 is a huge goal and dismissing it as trivial simply isn’t true for the average lifter. I started out at 135, and am almost twice as strong as I used to be, and 315 is a big deal, period.

Overall, my standards for being “impressive” are 225 for benching (2 45’s on each side), 275 for squatting (2 45’s and 2 25’s on each side) and 315 for deadlifting (3 45’s on each side). With those numbers comes a good looking body, plus that number of plates simply looks good on the bar.

I don’t think its impressive when people get satisfied with very minimal results. I would say that its a great start, and that you’re making great progress, but not that its impressive. Who was it that said “Dissatisfaction is the basis of progress, once your satisfied, its over.” Shugs?? I don’t remember? I got one for ya though

If you strive for mediocrity, you will achieve it.

So Congratulations.

[/quote]

I guarentee you that when you reach those, you’ll want more. When I started lifting, those numbers seemed way beyond even imagining I could lift. Now those are warmups. It’s the nature of the game. And when you do get that 315, 500 is going to start looking pretty sexy.

Yeah, sure a 315 kilos deadlift is a huge goal!

Henry Ford once said the person who believes the can and the person who believes they can not are both correct. I don’t think you should limit your self to 315…I believe you should try 405 instead becaue you would be surprised how quick and easy 315 comes to you…especially if you deadlift more than once a week and actually have a plan on you will get there and not just lift…same goes for squatting.

Don’t limit yourself 315 is good don’t get me wrong, however setting that barrier in mind is like setting up mental blocks. You should be able to reach 315 in less than a year…same goes for squatt

Let no limitation be your limitation. 315? Go for 800. You’ll die trying to reach it, but hell, by the time you die, you might just have a 750 deadlift.

Some one must have posted a link from bodybuilding.com

<nothing to see here, move along>

Is this realy just a very coyly presented cry for help?

Please tell me it is.

Threads like this really piss me off. I’m sorry, if you’re not in a professional or Olympic rank of your sport, genetics don’t mean shit. There are so many other things that will be your limiting factor before genetics, it’s not even close to an excuse.

The reason 315 is inspiring to you is because you decided it would be. If you think DL’ing 315 w/ 5% bodyfat is inspiring, imagine how satisfying DL’ing 405 at similar bodyfat would be. 495. 585. etc. Those numbers are all w/in reach of your genetics.

“Especially in the context of my ‘mediocre’ genetics”. Ugh. Ruined my day.

Your standards for “impressive” are quite low. I was able to bench 195 and squat 295 when I weighed 125.

That being said, is there a need to progress past your “impressive” numbers if you’re not a powerlifter or are an elite athlete? For the most part, I’d venture to say the answer is no.

if you think 315 is inspiratonal, well then…i just dont know what to say to that

For some reason I picture you as a Bill Gates type physique.

Sorry, but a 315 pull is kind of on the pathetic side, mediocre would be an improvement.

Well, work hard anyways, you might surprise yourself.

A 225 bench, 275 squat, and 315 DL suck. I say this as someone who has a history of underachieving in lifting and bodybuilding.

Train hard and eat big and you can surpass these numbers in no time. I hit 315 in the DL and 225 in the bench FOR REPS in a few months and no one would ever accuse me of being a “genetic prodigy.” You are setting your sights way, way low.

Also, don’t be so sure that those numbers are all that is needed to get yourself the body you want. I still look like crap. I would look good by regular people standards if I got lean but by bodybuilding standards I don’t have much muscle mass.

Wow I pulled around 305 and I was extremely disappointed in myself, especially when my squat was 285. Lots of room for improvement, lets just hope these severe allergies go away so I can start lifting again.

Everyone has a right to their own goals. But if you see girls in the gym lifting more than you, you might wanna adjust your aspirations.