T Nation

DLicious Training Log 2009

quick intro: i'm a 28 year old female who found the beauty of the barbell 2 years ago. i got into it wanting to lose weight and quickly learned heavy lifting makes me uber happy.

i'm 5'6" and usually somewhere between 125-138 lbs. lol (i was 132 this morning)

i spent the 2nd half of 2008 "bulking" and hit a deadlift 1rm of 325 last december.

the first half of this year was spent cutting and trying to get into "bikini shape". i lost a good 12 lbs or so.... and kept my strength pretty well.... although i definitely lost a bit (as happens when you lose 10% of ur bodyweight)

then i spent the last two months eating at a mighty big surplus..... even if it was mostly nachos and beer. seriously.

i started running coan/philippi 7 weeks ago..... and my nutrition was absolutely shit during that time. i've porked up a bit but have decided to get my eating habits dialed in again and see if i can hit my dl goal for the year of 350 lbs.

2 months ago i could BARELY pull 305. i put my "end goal" for c/p at 340..... and will be happy to get anywhere near that.

so anyways..... i have a fitness journal on another site..... but figured the 350 lb dl goal would be fun to log in a single place. and with all the kick ass ladies on this site.... i decided this would definitely be bueno.

oh yeah and i work out at home and lift completely raw...no belts, straps, etc...

hmmm... that's all i can think of for now. i'll copy/paste the first 7 weeks of c/p below. next week i'm sposed to pull 325 for a double. i'm scared shitless and can't even fathom doing that.... but hopefully the last 7 weeks will pay off. =+)

WEEK 1

deadlift warmup: 135 x 5; 185 x 3; 225 x 2
deadlift: 255 x 2
speed deads: 205 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
3 circuits of:
-sldl: 185 x 8
-bent bb row: 100 x 8
-chin ups: bw x 4
-arched back good mornings: 95 x 8 (go up next time)

55 mins----avg hr 115----285 cals burned

WEEK 2

deadlift warmup: 135 x 5; 185 x 3; 225 x 2
deadlift: 275 x 2
speed deads: 220x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
3 circuits of:
-arched back good mornings: 110 x 8

this was pretty hard. i'm absolutely exhausted now.

WEEK 3

deadlift warmup: 135 x 6; 185 x 3; 235 x 2, 265 x 1
deadlift: 290 x 2
speed deads: 240x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3,
3 circuits of:
-arched back good mornings: 110 x 8

60 mins----avg hr 127----390 cals burned

WEEK 4

deadlift wu: 135 x 6; 185 x 4; 235 x 2; 280 x 1
deadlift: 305 x 2 (PR)
speed deadlifts: 255 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

never did circuit since i got a surprise visit from family members in the middle of this workout.

WEEK 5

deadlift wu: 135 x 6; 185 x 4; 225 x 3; 245 x 2
deadlift: 275 x 3
speed deadlifts: 225 x 3, 3, 3
power shrugs: 185 x 5, 5, 5
romanian deadlifts: 215 x 5, 5, 5
bent bb pendlay row: 135 x 5, 5, 5
chin ups: bw x 5, 5, 5
arched back good mornings: 135 x 5, 5, 5
(90-120 sec rests btwn all sets)

70 mins----avg hr 119----395 cals burned

WEEK 6 (sick 3 days prior to this workout and only got down maybe 500 cals a day)

deadlift wu: 135 x 6; 225 x 4; 265 x 1
deadlift: 290 x 2
speed deadlifts: 245 x 3, 3, 3
power shrugs: 200 x 5, 5, 5
romanian deadlifts: 215 x 5, 5, 5
bent bb pendlay row: 135 x 5, 5, 5
chin ups: bw x 5, 5, 5
arched back good mornings: 135 x 5, 5, 5

58 mins----avg hr 120----340 cals burned

WEEK 7

deadlift wu: 135 x 6; 225 x 4; 275 x 1
deadlift: 310 x 2 (PR)
speed deadlifts: 260 x 3, 3, 3
power shrugs: 215 x 5, 5 (PR)
romanian deadlifts: 225 x 5, 5 (PR)
bent bb pendlay row: 140 x 5, 5 (PR)
chin ups: bw x 5, 5
arched back good mornings: 145 x 5, 5 (PR)

48 mins----avg hr 122----358 cals burned

Welcome! I'll be super interested to follow your deadlift progress. That's some impressive lifting.

thanks kimba! ur back is amazing. i love it.

yesterday was unilateral leg day. i'm not gonna log my non-dl workouts here.... cuz i already do elsewhere. yesterday's workout involved heavy step ups, rev. lunges, and some push pressing.

i've been trying to keep my calories over 2000 a day....and been eating really clean and nailing the macros this week. kept the beer to two blue moons on the evenings of my two heaviest workouts.... so only 4 for the week. not too shabby for a holiday weekend.

thought i had some point to this post.... but obviously it's slipped mah mind. lol

today was upper press day with a touch of core work.

finally managed to bench press 140 lbs for a single today. first time since i started cutting early this year. so that made mah day.

i've had the goal to start foam rolling on my 2009 to do list and STILL have not managed to even order one... much less start doing it. i really need to get on that.

time to grub!

Awesome bench! Mine is coming slowly. I did manage 105 whilst in Colorado for vacation.....

No more excuses:

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4918_A_CategoryID_E_487

I use the 3' long, 6" round one, and its even ON SALE. It will hurt you, but in a good way.

P.S. I am a happy camper when I cleanly bench HALF as much weight as you.

thanks!

benching on vacation.... that a girl! big thumbs up.

lol thanks for the link... but i'm boycotting performbetter since they send me their catalogs to make me drool over there ridiculously priced toys. haha

i'll probably just buy one when we head to the coast sunday.

i've been using some 4" pvc lately. btwn that, a tennis ball, and a softball i've been able to get some of mah hot spots rubbed out. i just need to be more diligent. i've been bad about mobility/prehab stuff lately too. blush.

hey who cares what you can bench when ya look like that eh!?!? =+)

seriously.... just keep at it.... results will come. i think it was in ur journal the EGO thing came up.... and you just have to learn to feed ur ego with "clean foods"..... so get super stoked whenever you are able to do better than yourself.... and screw letting it get hungry for being able to do more than others. easier said than done, sure..... but really the only thing that matters is that ur making progress. ur doing great..... look great.... and if you put in the work those big ego feeding numbers will come. i guarantee it. =+D

thanks!

benching on vacation.... that a girl! big thumbs up.

lol thanks for the link... but i'm boycotting performbetter since they send me their catalogs to make me drool over there ridiculously priced toys. haha

i'll probably just buy one when we head to the coast sunday.

i've been using some 4" pvc lately. btwn that, a tennis ball, and a softball i've been able to get some of mah hot spots rubbed out. i just need to be more diligent. i've been bad about mobility/prehab stuff lately too. blush.

hey who cares what you can bench when ya look like that eh!?!? =+)

seriously.... just keep at it.... results will come. i think it was in ur journal the EGO thing came up.... and you just have to learn to feed ur ego with "clean foods"..... so get super stoked whenever you are able to do better than yourself.... and screw letting it get hungry for being able to do more than others. easier said than done, sure..... but really the only thing that matters is that ur making progress. ur doing great..... look great.... and if you put in the work those big ego feeding numbers will come. i guarantee it. =+D

Hey, thanks! And thanks for the words of support. The iron game is just as much a mental game as a physical one, aye?

And, I really LOVE hearing about big lifts being done by women. There is just not alot of that in my real life.

P.S. If you are already rolling with a PVC pipe, then a foam roller will feel really easy to you.

no prob. yeah there are a lot of components to it.... but really it justs comes down to drive n work ethic. if u can muster those up, u can't lose. and the "iron game" as ya call it is amazingly rewarding. like out of this world rewarding.

yeah since i train alone and don't know any girls in the area that lift...i NEVER see it in my real life.....so i feel ya there.

rollING might be pushing it....but yeah i've done it a couple times. nowhere near habitually. it sucks that i hate it. =+)

geez! nice deads lady! god..those are my nemesis! good workin!!!

thanks sindie! i'm long limbed. major monkey arms.... so that makes the dl easier and makes back squats my absolute nemesis. so i feel ur pain! ;+)

i've had bad doms in my quads, ass, hammies for the last couple days. to the point it is a total bitch climbing over fences when i'm doing farm chores. it blows. anyways this morning i woke up to some super dommy abs too. cry.

nutrition has continued to be fabulous. a couple hefe's in the afternoon and TONS of clean calories. it feels like fall!

well word! i've got major monkey arms too!...but um. mine don't help at all..

oh well, i'll continue to be jealous as i work on my crap deadlifts :slight_smile:

those monkey arms will come in handy eventually! ;+)

some awesome college football on today. sucks i have to work.... but hopefully i'll be off in time to watch the buckeyes try to get some revenge on them trojan bastards for last year.

I'm working today, too, until 6. Sadly, my husband is working until 9.....

Umm, not a big fan of the U of Spoiled Children, but O State almost got waxed by Navy for god's sake. Hope they can keep it close.

keep it close they did. what a heartbreaker.

fuck to the yeah!!!!!!!!!!

i've been scared for this workout for the last 8 weeks.

it was bloody HARD.... and i'm not happy with the lock out on the second pull..... but i'm still counting it!! shit i'm not competing..... so who cares about an inch of extra lockout eh!?!

anyways....

c/p week 8:

deadlift wu: 135 x 6, 6; 225 x 3; 265 x 1; 295 x 1
deadlift: 325 x 2 (PR)
speed deadlifts: 245 x 3, 3, 3
power shrugs: 230 x 5, 5 (PR)
romanian deadlifts: 230 x 5, 5 (PR)
bent bb pendlay row: 135 x 5, 5
chin ups: bw + 5 lbs x 5, 5 (PR)
arched back good mornings: 150 x 5, 5 (PR)

63 mins----avg hr 116----335 cals burned

here's the video... i suddenly realized how stupid of faces i was making when i was trying to lock it out and just couldn't do it. i lost focus. my bad.

my faces are fuckin gnarly!!!! i'm channeling my inner voldemort i guess. lol

here's the link.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8DYG88M9F4

time to drink a pwo shake, watch the end of the bengals game, and then take luken to the doggy swim day at the local pool. kali's there volunteering atm.

then onto a happy hour somewhere and crab legs at the in laws!!!

Sorry bout the game, but that was a rockin' PR on the deads. Wow.

great job! excellent work!!!