DL with Long Torso and Short Legs?

I am a newbie to powerlifting, but I have lifted weights in the past. I am 6 feet tall and 170 pounds (a friend of mine who is 5 foot 2 and also has a long torso has longer legs than me), and I have been lucky enough to watch my squat grow quite a lot in the past six months. However, my deadlift has dragged behind, terribly.

To give you an idea of how bad my deadlift is, I can max out at around 400 pounds with my squat, but I can barely get 200 pounds off of the ground when it comes to my deadlift.

When I do deadlift, I don’t feel my hamstrings, my back always feels pained (and loose), and I never feel like I am in a position of leverage (until I get it passed my knees).

I have tried doing a variety of things like taking extra time for specific mobility drills, utilizing partial movements, and practicing cues relentlessly, but nothing seems to work well. Any suggestions for this beginner would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Well first, post a video of your squat and deadlift if you can. A 400 squat and 200dl sounds pretty whacky to me and most likely you could be squatting high or something to that effect. Secondly, I don’t buy much into that whole built a certain way to deadlift based off your torso and limb lengths. I know people love to exacerbate every little minute detail, but what it boils down to is deadlift how you feel comfortable and can lift the most weights. Just because someone made an article with some math problem that determines you should dl sumo or something due to the prime integers of your hips doesnt make it true.

We need to see a video. I highly doubt your squat is double what your deadlift is if you are squatting to depth.

[quote]Reed wrote:
We need to see a video. I highly doubt your squat is double what your deadlift is if you are squatting to depth.[/quote]

Wait Reed isnt your squat 2x your deadlift? haha

I honestly don’t believe half of what you’re saying. A guy 10 inches shorter than you has longer legs? I’m calling bullshit.

I’m also calling bullshit on your squat. No fucking way you’re squatting that much at your height and bodyweight. Not if you’re as new to powerlifting as you seem to be. Like Reed said, post a video if you’re being honest and actually want help.

[quote]strength_newbie wrote:
When I do deadlift, I don’t feel my hamstrings, my back always feels pained (and loose), and I never feel like I am in a position of leverage (until I get it passed my knees). [/quote]

If your back feels loose then learn how to brace your abs and use your lats.

Video please, both squat and DL.

No way can you squat 400 lbs and not even pull 200 lbs. Not to mention I’ve got the whole long torso/short legs thing going too at the same height and my DL has always been about 40-60 lbs higher than my squat. Even if you’ve got super short arms I don’t see it hindering you to the extent that you can’t pull half your max squat.

[quote]cparker wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
We need to see a video. I highly doubt your squat is double what your deadlift is if you are squatting to depth.[/quote]

Wait Reed isnt your squat 2x your deadlift? haha[/quote]

Hahahahaha yeah but I squat high and I cheat and use wraps and a mono lift. Lmao but not exactly my squat is closing in on 700 wrapped and my deadlift is mid 600s so take away my wraps and I’d say my squat and deadlift are close to 1:1.