T Nation

DL vs RDL Differences?

Also, does anyone have a link to something that shows how to correctly do both?

Which of the two would be better to do to go along with squats and leg extensions for lower body?

If I had to choose one id choose a full DL

link to how to and well you can see the difference there its pretty obvious
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

Look in the Legs, strength column

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
If I had to choose one id choose a full DL

link to how to and well you can see the difference there its pretty obvious
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

Look in the Legs, strength column

Phill
[/quote]

It wouldn’t be better to do RDL? If I’m already doing leg extensions shouldn’t I just do RDLs so that I can work my hamstrings some more without over working my quads?

This article will help:

Honestly if your squatting and DLing id drop the leg extensions. Even doing those two in one day is killer and even a full DL sint that much quad It much more glute, ham low back dominant.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Honestly if your squatting and DLing id drop the leg extensions. Even doing those two in one day is killer and even a full DL sint that much quad It much more glute, ham low back dominant.

Phill[/quote]

Very little quad in deadlifts. Dont worry so much about seperating the muscles. With structural exercises especially.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Honestly if your squatting and DLing id drop the leg extensions. Even doing those two in one day is killer and even a full DL sint that much quad It much more glute, ham low back dominant.

Phill[/quote]

I read that leg extensions are good for developing definition in the quadriceps though. They aren’t worth doing?

Are squats and deadlift/rdl good enough for legs?

Thx Phil for the video link, very helpfull… even for veterans!!!

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
I read that leg extensions are good for developing definition in the quadriceps though. They aren’t worth doing?[/quote]

squats and deads should form the foundation of your leg training. leg extensions are a fine secondary exercise for bodybuilders looking to create more muscle separation. experiment with them and see what happens

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
<<< I read >>>[/quote]

Good God in heaven if this guy is not the poster boy for what I was talking about in the mentor the newbies thread. Pick some program for beginners. ANY DAMN ONE will do for now. Lock your computer up somewhere and give someone else the key if you have to, but STOP READING for the time being. There will plenty of time for stuffing your head full of information once you get going and have some idea at all of what you’re doing.

Do the beginners program EXACTLY as spelled out and eat a bunch of food. You will have plenty of warning before fat becomes an issue judging from your other thread. If you could just channel that persistence into something useful you may actually make some progress.

I don’t mean to seem harsh, but you will not get anyplace by reading until you’re so confused that you sit there and stare at the weights.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
michaelangelos wrote:
<<< I read >>>

Good God in heaven if this guy is not the poster boy for what I was talking about in the mentor the newbies thread. Pick some program for beginners. ANY DAMN ONE will do for now. Lock your computer up somewhere and give someone else the key if you have to, but STOP READING for the time being. There will plenty of time for stuffing your head full of information once you get going and have some idea at all of what you’re doing.

Do the beginners program EXACTLY as spelled out and eat a bunch of food. You will have plenty of warning before fat becomes an issue judging from your other thread. If you could just channel that persistence into something useful you may actually make some progress.

I don’t mean to seem harsh, but you will not get anyplace by reading until you’re so confused that you sit there and stare at the weights.[/quote]

There isn’t much I can do right now. I have a sprained wrist so I can only do lower body stuff, and I’m finding out what would be good to do for lower body.

[quote]Phill wrote:
If I had to choose one id choose a full DL

link to how to and well you can see the difference there its pretty obvious
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

Look in the Legs, strength column

Phill
[/quote]

I couldn’t find the link for a regular deadlift. The closest thing I can find to that is the snatch-grip deadlift.

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
There isn’t much I can do right now. I have a sprained wrist so I can only do lower body stuff, and I’m finding out what would be good to do for lower body.

Why would you do deadlifts with a sprained wrist? They’re the heaviest exercise that involves your hands.

BTW, drop the leg extensions if you don’t want a muscular imbalance. Having your quads a lot stronger than your hamstrings is not a good idea. If you wanna keep leg extensions, do more hamstring work like GHRs as well.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Phill wrote:
If I had to choose one id choose a full DL

link to how to and well you can see the difference there its pretty obvious
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

Look in the Legs, strength column

Phill

I couldn’t find the link for a regular deadlift. The closest thing I can find to that is the snatch-grip deadlift.

michaelangelos wrote:
There isn’t much I can do right now. I have a sprained wrist so I can only do lower body stuff, and I’m finding out what would be good to do for lower body.

Why would you do deadlifts with a sprained wrist? They’re the heaviest exercise that involves your hands.

BTW, drop the leg extensions if you don’t want a muscular imbalance. Having your quads a lot stronger than your hamstrings is not a good idea. If you wanna keep leg extensions, do more hamstring work like GHRs as well.[/quote]

I’m going to do some very light RDLs.

Don’t leg extensions just build definition in your quads? I’m sure doing leg extensions won’t build too much muscle.

What are GHRs?

“Very light RDLs” won’t do much, but if you’re gonna do them anyway, you might as well do “very light” upper body exercises, right?

Leg extensions will make your quads bigger and stronger. What you’re saying is along the lines of, “Don’t bicep curls just build definition in your biceps? I’m sure doing bicep curls won’t build too much muscle.” Then again, if you do “very light” leg extensions, it wouldn’t matter much.

Keep this in mind, though. Doing “very light” stuff won’t give you gains, and unless you want to be better in endurance, not strength or size, or you’re doing it for recovery work, it’s a waste of time.

GHR = Glute-Ham Raise. It’s a great exercise. Search it in the site.

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Phill wrote:
If I had to choose one id choose a full DL

link to how to and well you can see the difference there its pretty obvious
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

Look in the Legs, strength column

Phill

I couldn’t find the link for a regular deadlift. The closest thing I can find to that is the snatch-grip deadlift.

michaelangelos wrote:
There isn’t much I can do right now. I have a sprained wrist so I can only do lower body stuff, and I’m finding out what would be good to do for lower body.

Why would you do deadlifts with a sprained wrist? They’re the heaviest exercise that involves your hands.

BTW, drop the leg extensions if you don’t want a muscular imbalance. Having your quads a lot stronger than your hamstrings is not a good idea. If you wanna keep leg extensions, do more hamstring work like GHRs as well.

I’m going to do some very light RDLs.

Don’t leg extensions just build definition in your quads? I’m sure doing leg extensions won’t build too much muscle.

What are GHRs?[/quote]

Air Force Academy has some great videos of every basic lift. Check it out here:

http://goairforcefalcons.cstv.com/ot/afa-strength-conditioning.html

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
“Very light RDLs” won’t do much, but if you’re gonna do them anyway, you might as well do “very light” upper body exercises, right?

Leg extensions will make your quads bigger and stronger. What you’re saying is along the lines of, “Don’t bicep curls just build definition in your biceps? I’m sure doing bicep curls won’t build too much muscle.” Then again, if you do “very light” leg extensions, it wouldn’t matter much.

Keep this in mind, though. Doing “very light” stuff won’t give you gains, and unless you want to be better in endurance, not strength or size, or you’re doing it for recovery work, it’s a waste of time.

GHR = Glute-Ham Raise. It’s a great exercise. Search it in the site.[/quote]

I did do very light upper body exercises too. Just to get my body moving again because I’m feeling very lazy lately.

I can’t get into a gym, so there’s no where to do GHRs I don’t think.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
michaelangelos wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Phill wrote:
If I had to choose one id choose a full DL

link to how to and well you can see the difference there its pretty obvious
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

Look in the Legs, strength column

Phill

I couldn’t find the link for a regular deadlift. The closest thing I can find to that is the snatch-grip deadlift.

michaelangelos wrote:
There isn’t much I can do right now. I have a sprained wrist so I can only do lower body stuff, and I’m finding out what would be good to do for lower body.

Why would you do deadlifts with a sprained wrist? They’re the heaviest exercise that involves your hands.

BTW, drop the leg extensions if you don’t want a muscular imbalance. Having your quads a lot stronger than your hamstrings is not a good idea. If you wanna keep leg extensions, do more hamstring work like GHRs as well.

I’m going to do some very light RDLs.

Don’t leg extensions just build definition in your quads? I’m sure doing leg extensions won’t build too much muscle.

What are GHRs?

Air Force Academy has some great videos of every basic lift. Check it out here:

http://goairforcefalcons.cstv.com/ot/afa-strength-conditioning.html

[/quote]

Thanks.

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
“Very light RDLs” won’t do much, but if you’re gonna do them anyway, you might as well do “very light” upper body exercises, right?

Leg extensions will make your quads bigger and stronger. What you’re saying is along the lines of, “Don’t bicep curls just build definition in your biceps? I’m sure doing bicep curls won’t build too much muscle.” Then again, if you do “very light” leg extensions, it wouldn’t matter much.

Keep this in mind, though. Doing “very light” stuff won’t give you gains, and unless you want to be better in endurance, not strength or size, or you’re doing it for recovery work, it’s a waste of time.

GHR = Glute-Ham Raise. It’s a great exercise. Search it in the site.

I did do very light upper body exercises too. Just to get my body moving again because I’m feeling very lazy lately.

I can’t get into a gym, so there’s no where to do GHRs I don’t think.[/quote]

It would be much better if you fixed your wrist first then do heavier stuff than keep on doing very light exercises.

GHR machines are rare, so don’t get your hopes up. If you want, you can do a makeshift GHR machine at home. It’s definitely worth it.

I’d think that deadlifts would be out of the question with a sprained wrist.