DL Speed Off Floor, Form Critique

I found deficit deads to be very helpful as well, personally I found a 2" deficit to be perfect as any more of a deficit seems to compromise my form and the bar drifts from my shins. Defect Deads helped get my lower body more involved in the pull and thus better speed and power at the beginning of the pull. It also helped my hips from shooting up to quick. I like to cycle Deficit Deads as an ME movement every 4 weeks

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I don’t have access to bands, we do have some chains in the gym that I might give a blast to help accelerate into lock-out, but I don’t know if there’ll be much carry over to strength off the floor.

I think I’ll give deficits a try (1.5" or so, any more would ruin my form), maybe just to the knee at 70-85% for triples to see if that helps, or i might do full reps. Gonna add in some quad work to my deadlift day too; probably front squats as I’ce not done them in a while and used to really enjoy them.

My back squat is very strong compared to my deadlift which I would have thought would help me be quick off the floor:

I dunno mayne, guess I gotta keep practicing! I’ll have a play around with deficits and speed pulls and really focus on pushing my feet through the floor

how’s your front squat?

I like front squats and deficit pulls with/without bands.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
how’s your front squat?[/quote]

I haven’t front squatted in a few months, it used to be my main squatting movement as it didn’t bother my hip flexor. Heaviest single I got was 145kg IIRC. I will add them in to my deadlift day as of this week and see if it helps things to come along.

What rep range do you do for your front squats, Larry? I seen the clip in your video thread - very impressive stuff.

EDIT: I should also add that I did front squats holding on to straps as I can’t get into a good clean position, very poor flexibility. The cross-arm method made my upper back round too much.

straps method is fine. as long as the bar is in the right position.

I would highly advise you to get your front squat up to 145-155 again, roughly 80% of your BS and maintain that, and I feel you’ll be much stronger off the floor, the deficit deads and pulls to the knees will really help as well.

I’ve gone up to 6 reps on front squats, but found I had to race my upper back, my legs would be fine but if the set took too long my upper back was fried.

I think triples and below are more ideal. I’d say make it a goal to get to 120 for 5 sets of 3, and maintain that for a month, then add 5 kilos the following month. I front squat up to an easy max before I deadlift as it just warms me up well, and I’m building it back up so that I do an easy-ish 405 front squat before I deadlift every week. That’s me though.

I really liked your back squat by the way, very very nice form.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
straps method is fine. as long as the bar is in the right position.

I would highly advise you to get your front squat up to 145-155 again, roughly 80% of your BS and maintain that, and I feel you’ll be much stronger off the floor, the deficit deads and pulls to the knees will really help as well.

I’ve gone up to 6 reps on front squats, but found I had to race my upper back, my legs would be fine but if the set took too long my upper back was fried.

I think triples and below are more ideal. I’d say make it a goal to get to 120 for 5 sets of 3, and maintain that for a month, then add 5 kilos the following month. I front squat up to an easy max before I deadlift as it just warms me up well, and I’m building it back up so that I do an easy-ish 405 front squat before I deadlift every week. That’s me though.

I really liked your back squat by the way, very very nice form.[/quote]

That’s what I’ll try man; def. deads to the knees with front squats and I’ll see how I get on from there, got some big goals for the end of next year strength-wise! Gonna compete in a few strongman comps and hopefully get to compete in Scotland’s Strongest Man in the future.

Thanks for the comment on my squat, I was pretty happy with it, usually get a bit deeper but I chickened out, with it being a new max an’ all… :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll be pausing 200kg ass to the grass someday!

Cheers for the ideas and advice everybody, I’ll be reporting back.