DL: Segmented Reps or Continuous?

I just watched a video of a guy repping 405 and at the bottom of each rep he tapped (bounced?) the weight and went up again.

1. I thought it was bad to control the weight on the way down.
  2. Isn’t this easier?
  3. Better to start each rep as its own lift?

No disrespect to the guy though. 405 was obviously very light for him. I’m just wondering if he piled on a 3-5 RM would he be able to lower the bar all the way down and keep everything continuous without sacrificing form. Personally, once I get up into loads I consider heavy, I do a controlled drop of the bar at the top and then reset before doing another rep.

If you’re a powerlifter, most federations will make you exert some degree of control on the way down. You don’t have to lower it slowly, but you don’t drop it. Your hands have to stay in contact with the bar the entire time.

If you don’t pause and reset between reps, you will arguably have some benefit from the stretch reflex, plus your body will know how to balance the weight better based on the first rep.

I sometimes start each rep as its own, and I sometimes do them quickly without reset. It depends on your training goals for that session. When I’m lifting raw, the hardest part is breaking the bar off the ground. In that situation, it is definitely “easier” for me if I don’t pause and reset.

I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules for this. If deadlifting in a touch-and-go style doesn’t allow you to progress, then don’t do it.

Personally, I’ve always used touch and go, and I’ve been able to maintain proper form, and as long as I continue to add weight to the bar and add reps, I’ve never had problems when attempted a one-rep max either.

As usual, your results may vary.

Reasonable, moderate responses not espousing some dogmatic approach? Am I on the right web site? What site is this?

that’s stupid, he’s a moron. you have to stop.

happy johnnytang24? lol

i pesonally wouldn’t bounce or touch-n-go b/c of my back, i like to have a fresh start at the beginning of each rep. i don’t always reset my grip, unless i drop it a bit too fast and they shift slightly.

I think I should reset each rep but I don’t. It’s a lot harder, it takes a lot longer and when you’re trying to set a rep record with heavy weight, I don’t want to have to think about resetting between reps.

In that context, I think it’s better to do the technique that you’ll actually do.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Reasonable, moderate responses not espousing some dogmatic approach? Am I on the right web site? What site is this?[/quote]

What the fuck is the OP doing? Theres a scientific study on medVegatarianscape.com that says if you don’t drop the wait and pause for 2 seconds then it’s all elastic stretch reflex lifting the weight. If it’s reflexes he won’t build muscles.

My friend used to do the bouncy style, he switched to full stop and gained 25 lbs lean body mass and his bench went from 275 to 365.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:
Reasonable, moderate responses not espousing some dogmatic approach? Am I on the right web site? What site is this?

What the fuck is the OP doing? Theres a scientific study on medVegatarianscape.com that says if you don’t drop the wait and pause for 2 seconds then it’s all elastic stretch reflex lifting the weight. If it’s reflexes he won’t build muscles.

My friend used to do the bouncy style, he switched to full stop and gained 25 lbs lean body mass and his bench went from 275 to 365.[/quote]

LOL

Well, doing touch and go has caused me to go from pink weights to yellow weights for tricep kickbacks!

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:

My friend used to do the bouncy style, he switched to full stop and gained 25 lbs lean body mass and his bench went from 275 to 365.

LOL

Well, doing touch and go has caused me to go from pink weights to yellow weights for tricep kickbacks!

[/quote]

Yeah right. Video proof, please.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:

My friend used to do the bouncy style, he switched to full stop and gained 25 lbs lean body mass and his bench went from 275 to 365.[/quote]

Debateing wether or not this was a joke?

Doesn’t seem like there’s a consensus. I’ll try the touch and go and see how it feels.

[quote]smuscarella wrote:
Doesn’t seem like there’s a consensus. I’ll try the touch and go and see how it feels. [/quote]

Lots o’ ways to skin a cat.

And also, lots of ways to lift and get strong as hell.

[quote]Big nation wrote:

Debateing wether or not this was a joke? [/quote]

Clearly a joke.

I always stop and reset between reps. I usually also stand back up, take another deep breath and then go back down for the bar. In a meet, every pull is a first pull so that’s how I train it.

If you’re using the lift to grow, though, I can see the benefit in touch-and-go reps, particularly if you strap up and grip isn’t an issue. It’s a higher density set, which probably has some metabolic benefits for hypertrophy.

Tried the touch n go today. Felt ok with weights in the 8 - 10 RM range but I wouldn’t use it for a 3 RM.

Regardless of benefits an injury washes it all away.

I never DL anything over 5 reps. I feel like I lost my form and concentration once I hit anything over that.

That being said when I’m repping it’s usually Set up → lift → put down → stand up straight and reset → repeat.

It takes not more than 1-2 seconds for me to reset and lift again. But I feel like I keep my hips lower and chest higher when I’m resetting. Not taking my hands off the weights causes me to lean over the bar and round a little.

There’s my 2 cents.