DL or Squat First?

My question is rather simple but I was wondering what others did for their workouts for the week.

Do you DL or Squat first in the week?

Right now I have a 4 day on 3 day of type of schedule and I switch from doing DL first in the week and Squats.

Thanks in advance!

Deadlifts on tuesdays, squats on thursdays.

Rack pulls on fridays, and I sometimes throw in squats on saturdays.

squat on monday deadlift on thursday.

do the weaker lift first

Whatever is the one I am focusing on increasing the most will usually go first in the week. Since my squat sucks, I am perpetually squatting on Sunday.

Squat then deadlift, and sometimes on the same day, multiple times a week - Rippetoe.

I put deadlifts last for the same reasons cheeta mentioned. The deadlift is way too draining to be able to effectively work other body parts afterward.

Monday- Squat
Wednesday- Deadlift
Friday- Squat
Saturday- Deadlift

Squat Monday, Pull Friday.

I do both the same day. I always squat first- seems to warm me up better than pulling.

I do both the same day. I always squat first- seems to warm me up better than pulling.

[quote]cheeta wrote:
I fell it takes too much out of me to do heavy deadlift and heavy squat in the same week so i squat everyother week and deadlift every other week on wednesdays, howver i do warm up with squat on fridays. I once trained Deadlift and squat on the same day when i was just getting started and then my coach had me do squat first and deadlift second since deadlifting is a lot of strain on the whole body[/quote]

This makes sense. Really heavy sq and Dl is a lot in one session.

However, for speed work it works great. Box squat first, followed by speed pulls (westside style).

I train like this nearly all the time and just pulled 210kg (462lbs) in my first meet at JNR 82.5kg class.

So it really depends on your goals, your training age/level of strength and what your training for in that particular session…max strength, speed, muscle size etc

[quote]cheeta wrote:
I fell it takes too much out of me to do heavy deadlift and heavy squat in the same week [/quote]

Agreed. I usually do a DE workout followed by an ME workout. DE Squat Monday, ME Dead Thursday or DE Dead Monday, ME Squat Thursday.

When I do them on the same day I would basically always do my squats first. On separate days of the week I try to separate them by 3-4 days if I am going heavy in either lift.

I think PLers should always squat first since that is the order of the lifts in the meet.

ill have to agree with the ones taht said… whatever is the weaker one.

I would squat first, since a lower back fatigued from deadlifting might lead to rounding in the bottom and potential injury, but the deadlift is much easier to bail out of if something goes wrong.

I squat and deadlift twice a week. I’m usually more focused on grip strength and form with pulls, but I still usually go up to a 3-4RM after 5x5 squats. Occasionally I’ll toss on a pair of straps and see where I’m at in terms of pure strength.

Seems to have worked out well so far, so I’m hesitant to change it. I’m not squatting or pulling epic poundages (yet) so it’s probably less of a strain than it would be one someone a lot stronger.

I do a squat/deadlift variation on Tuesday, and do dynamic squats first, then dynamic deadlifts second on Friday. I follow a westside template.