T Nation

DL Form Suggestions

Had my wife film my last set of deadlifts today. It felt better than it looked. From what i can tell, my lower back is arched and i'm starting too high. Any suggestions on how to keep my ass down when I start or anything else? Appreciate any suggestions.

Your back is rounded, not arched. You need to arch your back, then get your booty down. I generally like to start with my shoulders slightly ahead of the bar, then drive and pull.

You should upload the vid. You'd get much better feedback that way.

The video didn't appear at first so I gave a youtube one and then it appeared.

Your hips are way too high and from what I can see your lower back is not arched. btw whenever you upload a vid it will always take a while to show.

I did the same thing Spar4tee... then the video mysteriously showed up....

I mentioned in the OP that those were the issues. I'm looking for a cue or something to solve the problem. When I set up, I feel like my ass is a foot lower but it obviously isn't

You nailed it when you said your hips were too high. What really helped me was to film myself with various hip positions. Knowing what a good rep feels like made the most difference for me. I would also practice a lot at the lower weights. That helps reinforce good technique.

What do you look like at 135?

when you set up, get your arch and your hips will have to lower.

Some people might think this is sacrelige, but I'd suggest you start doing a rack pull progession. Start relatively high (just below the knee) and get in good position there (lower back neutral and hips down). Do that height for a couple weeks then move the rack down a little every couple weeks until you are at the floor in good position to pull. Right now I don't think you have the mobility to get in a good pulling position at the floor. Stretch those hamstrings too.

How about a Box Deadlift? I've never heard of it but I just thought about it. Set up a box thats at the proper depth and start from there.

I've thought about this before, but for different purposes. Mainly to teach me not to shoot my hips up at the beginning of the pull. Honestly man I think you should do what I said two posts up, as I think you have bigger issues than just the height of your hips. I think you lack the mobility to get in a good start position right now.

I'm in my 11th cycle of 5/3/1. I can replace the deadlift with rack pulls next cycle. What should i do about my weights though. Add another 10 to my max or lower weight?

Same weight should be fine I think (or add ten).

your hips aren't getting down because you are too close to the bar. Watch the video again and you'll notice that your shoulders are in front of the bar and your shins are verticle, this this is happening because you are setting up about an inch or 2 too close to the bar. Try stepping back slightly and having your arms go straight down perpendicular to the floor. Meet the bar with your shins as opposed to trying to keep them straight up and down, the extra space will allow you to get your hips lower and will keep your body in a balanced position.

Also I wouldn't suggest trying to cue on arching your back because that will not help your deadlift any cue on letting your chest open out and the back should find a straight position. (the back should be straight/flat when deadlifting not rounded or arched) show me one 700 lb deadlifter who maintains a noticeable arch during their deadlift and I'll take it back :wink:

I wouldn't call it sacrilege, but using that method it will take at least a month before the person is deadlifting from the floor.

I don't think this is a mobility issue, but a lack of experience in how to set up for a deadlift. If it is a mobility issue, stretching the hamstrings is fairly easy.

OP, go to the library and get the book 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe. He's got a chapter in there on how to teach the the deadlift to a beginner lifter. It's worth reading at the very least.

You're doing well now, and will be stronger after you get the hang of a better pulling position. Spend your time deadlifting to build strength, and not deadlifting to learn how to deadlift.

At which point he'll be doing it well no? And what is a month in the vast scheme of getting stronger anyway.

I'm sure you are correct about the lack of experience, but his lumbar spine looks hypermobile to me, which usually goes hand in hand with hip mobility issues.

That's a good idea.

Are you kidding me with this? Form work is the only thing that will enable him to move big weights in the long run (coupled with heavy training). Sure he'll get stronger if he continues pulling like this, but then he'll hit a wall and won't make gains again until he fixes his form, so why shouldn't he do it now and set himself up for success in the long run. What's more I think he initially asked for help with his form (and probably how to fix it).

Definitely do this if you don't try the rack pulling progression I suggested (which will essentially lead you to this position).

Just some things I noticed, as well as others have noticed:

Your lower back is rounded.
Your hips are way too high.
Your shoulders are too far out in front of the bar.
Your shins are a bit too close to the bar.

Really spend some time on learning the technique. I would take a couple of weeks, or maybe even a month, really nailing the technique. Maybe start doing 100 reps on your deadlift day with very, very light weight. I would also suggest watching Dave Tate's videos on YouTube about him teaching the deadlift. Very informational and they helped me a lot.

Best of luck to you.

watch this