T Nation

DL Form Check

had a trainer at the gym film and watch my form and said I was going to hurt myself. He did not give me any cues or tips to improve however.

Can you guys help me improve? I guess I have bad form but i’m trying to hip drive, keep my chest up, and push with my legs

Is there any reason in particular you are lowering the bar so slowly? That’s about the most concerning thing I can see from this angle.

my knees always get in the way

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
my knees always get in the way[/quote]
You can keep your knees back and your shins more vertical and they won’t be in the way. Takes some practice.

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
my knees always get in the way
[/quote]

This is because you bend at the knees too early. Kick your hips back until the bar is below your knees, then bend at the knees.

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
my knees always get in the way[/quote]

I can’t tell if this is an answer to my question or another thought you want us to give input to.

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
had a trainer at the gym film and watch my form and said I was going to hurt myself. He did not give me any cues or tips to improve however.

Can you guys help me improve? I guess I have bad form but i’m trying to hip drive, keep my chest up, and push with my legs

[/quote]

Your lower back does have some rounding, which should be addressed, but it’s not terrible. You also appear to have the bar a bit far away from your body.

an answer to your question, but i appreciate the feedback. I need to work on my posture in general…my back always feels out of walk and i feel like it is the result of muscle inbalances in lower body excercises as a result of my clubbed foot

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
an answer to your question, but i appreciate the feedback. I need to work on my posture in general…my back always feels out of walk and i feel like it is the result of muscle inbalances in lower body excercises as a result of my clubbed foot[/quote]

I would say knees getting in the way would actually be an argument to move the eccentric FASTER, not slower. It seems you are wanting to pull dead stop instead of touch and go, and if that’s the case, I would consider a more purposeful eccentric, like what we see Matt Kroc do here.

Minor things you may or may not decide to do anything about:

• it looks like you’re shrugging the weight up at the top of each rep
  • your neck is cocked back relative to the rest of your spine; you may want to try keeping it in better alignment by, say, looking at a spot 6’ or so in front of you
  • your low back is a bit rounded, probably from “tight” hamstrings, calves and/or glutes (this shifts more of the weight to your low back, which, if your low back is strong enough, doesn’t matter at all); some sort of soft tissue work in those areas will likely help flatten your low back by letting your hips rotate more

At this point, I’d just keep that stuff in mind. If you actually end up hurting yourself or straining something, then I’d look into changing something. I wouldn’t try to “fix” anything until it actually starts causing you a problem.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Is there any reason in particular you are lowering the bar so slowly? That’s about the most concerning thing I can see from this angle.[/quote]

He’s also at a commercial gym. They’ll probably harass him about it

[quote]LoRez wrote:

• your neck is cocked back relative to the rest of your spine; you may want to try keeping it in better alignment by, say, looking at a spot 6’ or so in front of you
  • your low back is a bit rounded, probably from “tight” hamstrings, calves and/or glutes (this shifts more of the weight to your low back, which, if your low back is strong enough, doesn’t matter at all); some sort of soft tissue work in those areas will likely help flatten your low back by letting your hips rotate more

At this point, I’d just keep that stuff in mind. If you actually end up hurting yourself or straining something, then I’d look into changing something. I wouldn’t try to “fix” anything until it actually starts causing you a problem.[/quote]

Well put. And OP, the trainer that said ‘you’re gonna get hurt’ is fuckin retarded

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

Is there any reason in particular you are lowering the bar so slowly? That’s about the most concerning thing I can see from this angle.[/quote]

He’s also at a commercial gym. They’ll probably harass him about it[/quote]

Yeah, I’d pull touch and go at that point. Or just accept the harassment.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

He’s also at a commercial gym. They’ll probably harass him about it[/quote]

Yeah, I’d pull touch and go at that point. Or just accept the harassment.[/quote]

I’d opt for the latter, but even the likes of Lilly and Tate haven gotten harassed for ‘dropping’ the weight @commercial gyms. The trainer had to ask them to stop before they ‘hurt’ themselves.

That thankfully seems like a very minor sacrifice in pursuit of one’s goals. I usually smile politely, thank them for the advice and then keep doing what I was doing.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

At this point, I’d just keep that stuff in mind. If you actually end up hurting yourself or straining something, then I’d look into changing something. I wouldn’t try to “fix” anything until it actually starts causing you a problem.[/quote]

Well put. And OP, the trainer that said ‘you’re gonna get hurt’ is fuckin retarded[/quote]

Agree.

You could also try starting with your hips a little higher, but that’s more a personal thing I think. Have the tried the whole ‘crush an orange in your armpits’ cue to help breace you middle and upper back? I do that when standing above the bar when I brace my midsection and it makes my pulls a lot more comfortable. You kind of squeeze your armpits in and down. It sounds weird, but feels good once you do it.

For bar placement, bar over midfoot (I think in terms of middle of my arch for myself) is a good place as far as I know; or I’ve even heard that where the bar sits when you’ve put it down is good too.

I wouldn’t think you’ll get hurt like this, especially if you’re sensible about your progression.

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
[/quote]
He didn’t tell you how to improve because he probably has no clue what he’s doing.

Personally, I don’t see anything egregiously wrong with your pull. Except for the lowering of the bar. Gotta work on that.