T Nation

DL Form Check

I’ve never had my deadlift form commented on and unfortunately I don’t have anyone to ask in the gym.

This is me doing 275x5 which is far from my max (over 325x5). Battery died and I didn’t record later sets where my form was probably worse. I’ll do so the next time I deadlift, but I would like to hear comments on my form and ways to improve it before then.

It looks like I start the movement with my hips rising first and hyper extend the back a little bit in the end.

Looks like you’re on your toes…

overall i thought he was good, dont u habely, his back was straight but was down a little but not to much and kept his back straight the whole movement

I second what hanley said.

I don’t think your hips are rising too fast, but I know you aren’t pushing through your heels. I can just about guarantee that your heels come up and you lose the bar way out in front of you on heavier attempts.

Looked pretty good to me. As far as the driving with the heels. Try to make the shins vertical, just before lift-off. It’s going to feel like you’re going to fall on your ass but you won’t because you have a great big heavy bar in front of you that will counter balance your body.

TNT

Tedro & TNT…

when in the hole , with vertical shins and ass all the way down , if a guy was to let go of the bar …would he ACTUALLY fall backward ?

is that what you guys are saying ?

sorry 'bout the hijack OP

Probably. Read some of JV Askem’s stuff on DL. Just before lift-off, your body should look like the number “4” Arms and shins vertical, thighs parallel to the ground and back straight. For a lift that most people think is just brute strength, there is a very fine balance point.

TNT

It appears that you are performing more of a stiff leg DL as opposed to a conventional DL. Since your legs are barely moving, I would say you need to get your butt closer to the floor prior to the pull.

Yep start with you “butt in a bucket” stance = start with lower hips but keep back flat.

Then you should be able to drive through your heels easier.

Overall not bad.

next time get a better camera angle, set the camera to cut across diagonally. I like to see your feet placement and arms.

but it looks pretty good,I agree with others I like to see you get your butt lower. with this camera angle I can’t see if your heels remain planted and if you keep the bar pulling against the shins.

Certainly not awful (with that weight) shoulders too far forward?

I’ll be doing conventional DL tomorrow again, so I’d like to ask some more questions. Is there some good cue to push through the heels? I also find that it I start with lower hips, I move hips up first.

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
Tedro & TNT…

when in the hole , with vertical shins and ass all the way down , if a guy was to let go of the bar …would he ACTUALLY fall backward ?

sorry 'bout the hijack OP[/quote]

Absolutely, yes. That’s why they call it “pulling” and not “standing.” We’ve actually used this to teach proper form to a few of the guys on our team, and it’s worked wonders.

Here’s some pointers I got from “The Master” (Ian) last fall when working with him. feet shoulder width apart , feet straight ahead , 60 % of body weight on balls of feet 40 % of body weight on heels , grip bar with shoulder width grip , suck ur stomach in and squeeze your cheeks ( set the pelvis , no one ever does this ) , scapulas retracted and depressed ( no trap involvement ) head in line with spine at all times ( none of this keep ur head up and look towards ceiling shit ).

when all this is done and in check then begin the drive bar against skin at all times. shoulders in front of bar , no need to hyper extend. I’ve seen maybe 1 person master this approach in all my years.

if in doubt purchase ian kings how to deadlift video. and if that fails I know a great king coach who will tear ur deadlift form apart and rebuild ya. good luck

[quote]MNguns wrote:
Here’s some pointers I got from “The Master” (Ian) last fall when working with him. feet shoulder width apart , feet straight ahead , 60 % of body weight on balls of feet 40 % of body weight on heels , grip bar with shoulder width grip , suck ur stomach in and squeeze your cheeks ( set the pelvis , no one ever does this ) , scapulas retracted and depressed ( no trap involvement ) head in line with spine at all times ( none of this keep ur head up and look towards ceiling shit ).

when all this is done and in check then begin the drive bar against skin at all times. shoulders in front of bar , no need to hyper extend. I’ve seen maybe 1 person master this approach in all my years.

if in doubt purchase ian kings how to deadlift video. and if that fails I know a great king coach who will tear ur deadlift form apart and rebuild ya. good luck[/quote]

So he told you how to do clean pulls and not deadlifts?

[quote]MNguns wrote:

if in doubt purchase ian kings how to deadlift video. and if that fails I know a great king coach who will tear ur deadlift form apart and rebuild ya. good luck[/quote]

“Suck your stomach in”??? I don’t think so. Ian King is a pretty smart guy. Are you sure he said that?

TNT

[quote]Bergman wrote:
marlboroman wrote:
Tedro & TNT…

sorry 'bout the hijack OP

Absolutely, yes. That’s why they call it “pulling” and not “standing.” We’ve actually used this to teach proper form to a few of the guys on our team, and it’s worked wonders.[/quote]

I wouldn’t overemphasize getting the shins truly vertical, but you have the right idea.

When doing warmup sets with light weight, I frequently have to take a step or two back, as the momentum from pulling back forces that back movement.

get ians video. ian kings guide to the deadlift. yes. suck your stomach in (thin tummy) and squeeze cheeks. this ets the pelvis in the correct position. same with squats

[quote]MNguns wrote:
get ians video. ian kings guide to the deadlift. yes. suck your stomach in (thin tummy) and squeeze cheeks. this ets the pelvis in the correct position. same with squats[/quote]

No thank you.

TNT

form looks decent,
drop your butt a little lower and stay on your heels, but good work!