DL Form Check 205lbs (Beginner)

Want to start making strong progress on deadlifts. This felt light for me, but I want to make sure my form is solid. If you look at my old posts I tried to follow the advice people gave me. I’m just slightly worried that my back is not neutral throughout the lift

Is there a reason you spend so much time at the bottom of the lift before starting?

I would get rid of the running shoes and go with something with a flat sole personally.

yeah i spend time to make sure the bar is even…i normally wear just socks, but I’m going to invest in converse. Is my back too rounded btw?

If I was being critical, I’d say your back is too rounded and your shoulders are rounded forward.

Your chest is sunken and your lower back is too rounded. You may be able to get away with this relatively pain free at 205, but those kinks will certainly become more crucial as the weight goes up. Focus on keeping your chest up, and make sure you’re keeping your lats tight throughout the movement to keep the bar on path. Also pay attention to your hips and make sure they don’t shoot up first. It doesn’t look too bad in this video, but it appears to be contributing to your rounded back. My .02.

Good luck!

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
yeah i spend time to make sure the bar is even…i normally wear just socks, but I’m going to invest in converse. Is my back too rounded btw?[/quote]

No idea on the back rounding. I would say that it would be better for you to develop your style of deadlifting FIRST and THEN attempt form critiques. How you pull with running shoes is going to be different from how you pull with chucks/socks, so trying to critique THIS form isn’t going to do a whole lot for you.

In regards to making sure the bar is even, I would personally make sure the bar is even, then stand back up, and THEN deadlift. I find that spending too much time in the bottom position kills any sort of leg drive/explosiveness off the floor.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
yeah i spend time to make sure the bar is even…i normally wear just socks, but I’m going to invest in converse. Is my back too rounded btw?[/quote]

No idea on the back rounding. I would say that it would be better for you to develop your style of deadlifting FIRST and THEN attempt form critiques. How you pull with running shoes is going to be different from how you pull with chucks/socks, so trying to critique THIS form isn’t going to do a whole lot for you.

In regards to making sure the bar is even, I would personally make sure the bar is even, then stand back up, and THEN deadlift. I find that spending too much time in the bottom position kills any sort of leg drive/explosiveness off the floor.[/quote]

x2 for this, additionally I personally think that getting a form critique on a weight which doesn’t challenge you won’t really show much, other than if you understand the very basic concepts of how to perform the lift.

what does ‘making sure the bar is even’ mean?