DL Critique? Squat and Bench Questions

I’ve been training for a few years and have been dead lifting for about a year and a half. So have I gotten it right on the DL?

Stats at the time of the lift:
6’2 tall
210lbs (18%bf)

DL: 3x5 reps with 160kg (353 lbs), no 1RM tested
Squat 140kg (308 lbs) x 1 rep below parallel
Bench 105kg (231 lbs) x 1 rep, triceps are weak

The video is the second set of the 3x5 reps I did that day.

i think you still need a little bit more hamstring/hip flexibility and then you’ll be fine

Lockout is soft. You overtravel. Otherwise looks decent.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Lockout is soft. You overtravel.[/quote]

That, and you don’t reset the bar, you just tap it.

I’m not a fan of deadlifts for reps, but for the most part it looks okay.

With the exception of the minor issues already mentioned.

i like the video and the intro…deads seemed good too

Video editing: excellent

Shoulders: a little far forward

Back: a little more arch

Lockout: over exaggerating

Chest out to tighten your upper back more, it seemed to loosen as the set progressed. If you attempt a near max single with the same upper back tightness you will cave.

good lift man, just check out your lockout position - your torso is leaning back and your knees are bent. a proper lockout is standing UPRIGHT with locked knees. your entire body may lean back slightly to keep the center of gravity on your feet but not by bending the knees and leaning back the torso.

nlpbodybuilding.com/images/raw690dl.jpg

look at that guy, tight knees and upright torso.

that’s just a relatively minor form issue though man, you lifted the weight with a flat back and good overall position IMO.

i score it a 95 out of 100

shoulders are fine. there’s no way he can keep them any further back.

only ‘problem’ is the lock out.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
i score it a 95 out of 100

shoulders are fine. there’s no way he can keep them any further back.

only ‘problem’ is the lock out.

[/quote]

They mean his shoulders need to be more behind the bar off the floor. It’ll stop him being pulled forward and should make his arch tighter.

Knees look ok on the lockout, excepct for rep 4. Anyway once you stop that over exaggerated backward lean you’re knees should be fine.

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

lordstrom88:
I’ve been going hip flexibility work recently and it has been a great help with also improving my squat technique.

DickBag:
Hey, I’m a kid from the eighties. Transformers were big then and to me still are. lol

The lock out is now a focus point and thanks to all who pointed it out.

Khaine and Ghost22:
When I start going deads for low reps (1-3) would it be good to reset the bar and loosen my grip in between reps? So that I would be lifting ie. 3 singles in a row?

Pipes06:
Cheers! There was supposed to be some SYL playing in the background, but I guess it got cut out when I reduced the video quality for web.

Overall. I need to emphasis on lot leaning on the lock out and keep it tight and vertical. Tighter upper back and drive the shoulders back with more arch.

Great tips all around! That’s why I posted on the Strength forum. You guys are used to handling big weights for low reps and I know the technique has to be spot on before I move on to bigger weights (bigger for me at least).

[quote]Megatron999 wrote:
I’ve been training for a few years and have been dead lifting for about a year and a half. So have I gotten it right on the DL?

Stats at the time of the lift:
6’2 tall
210lbs (18%bf)

DL: 3x5 reps with 160kg (353 lbs), no 1RM tested
Squat 140kg (308 lbs) x 1 rep below parallel
Bench 105kg (231 lbs) x 1 rep, triceps are weak

The video is the second set of the 3x5 reps I did that day.

[/quote]

2 points. More arch in your back, reset each rep.

Rather than starting a new thread I’ll add a question about the powerlifting type squat and bench in this thread.

1. Powerlifting style squat.
    I’ve been learning the technique for a powerlifting style low bar squat in the past few weeks. Compared to the olympic style that I’ve done in the past, it feels really solid and I’m really enjoying squatting this way. But I’ve got one problem.

I get the bar in a good position on my upper back and shoulders but when I up the weight past a 5RM, after a few good reps it feels like the bar is slipping down. I’m afraid if the bar slips off my back I’ll really fuck up my shoulders. Any tips on keeping the bar solid on my back?

1. Powerlifting style bench
    When I do heavy bench presses with a more powerlifting style technique (bringing the bar to my lower chest, keeping my elbows in, a good arch in my back and keeping my ass firmly on the bench) my elbows try flare out when I go past 5RM on weight. I’m 6’2 tall and my grip wight is ring fingers on the marks.

I think this because I have a stronger chest than my triceps. My triceps really suck. Am I on the right track discovering my weak point in my bench?

I really want to bring up my shoulders and triceps as well in size and strength during this summer.

looks good bro just dont lean back so hard at the top to the point that your knees unlock…just concentrate on pushing your hips forward into the bar at the top.

Rather than starting a new thread I’ll add a question about the powerlifting type squat and bench in this thread.

I’ve been learning the technique for a powerlifting style low bar squat in the past few weeks. Compared to the olympic style that I’ve done in the past, it feels really solid and I’m really enjoying squatting this way. But I’ve got one problem.

I get the bar in a good position on my upper back and shoulders but when I up the weight past a 5RM, after a few good reps it feels like the bar is slipping down. I’m afraid if the bar slips off my back I’ll really fuck up my shoulders. Any tips on keeping the bar solid on my back?

[/quote]

You probably need to narrow your grip on the bar. Bringing your hands in will allow you to have a better pocket/shelf for the bar to sit in. Also, with a low bar PL style squat you will naturally have a more forward torso lean even in the finish position. You are probably used to the upright standing position of the high bar squat.

when i do deads for reps i stand up after each rep so i can completely reset my form

When I do heavy bench presses with a more powerlifting style technique (bringing the bar to my lower chest, keeping my elbows in, a good arch in my back and keeping my ass firmly on the bench) my elbows try flare out when I go past 5RM on weight. I’m 6’2 tall and my grip wight is ring fingers on the marks.

I think this because I have a stronger chest than my triceps. My triceps really suck. Am I on the right track discovering my weak point in my bench?

I really want to bring up my shoulders and triceps as well in size and strength during this summer.[/quote]

1. Put some chalk on your shirt were the bar sits. I have this problem sometimes if the knurling is shitty. If is is a form/setup issue I have to see a video, but as someone else suggested moving your grip in might help.

2. Elbow flair almost always means that you have weak lats or your are not engaging them. A health dose of rows might help the problem.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
Megatron999 wrote:

I really want to bring up my shoulders and triceps as well in size and strength during this summer.

1. Put some chalk on your shirt were the bar sits. I have this problem sometimes if the knurling is shitty. If is is a form/setup issue I have to see a video, but as someone else suggested moving your grip in might help.

2. Elbow flair almost always means that you have weak lats or your are not engaging them. A health dose of rows might help the problem. [/quote]

3. I believe problem number one comes from standing up too straight in the end. Old habit from olympic style squats. Feels a lot better when I keep a slight lean on my upper body in the top position.

4. My pulling muscles have always been stronger than the opposite pushing muscles (bi to tri, back to shoulder and chest).

I think I just can’t engage my lats when I press. I keep my upper back tight no prob but I often find it hard to activate my legs for a good leg drive or my lats.