DJ Wed PT

Which means…of course, tonight I will be hanging around Prime Time again…

Hi Dan.
Just got myself a discus and a shot and have a hammer on order. I’ve only thrown the shot before - twenty years ago as a schoolboy.

I’m taking your advice on ‘showing up’ and signing up for the first contest I can find and any subsequent ones too.
I’m currently doing something similar to the 'Rosenberg Protocol’ie. Mon, Wed, Fri - full body o-lifting. How would you suggest adding in the throwing.
Thanks.

Keith

Ok, I got a question, but first some unashamed flattery: your training articles are among the most innovative on the net, keep up the good work.

Righty, now that’s out the way, here’s the question:

How would YOU go about training for a powerlifting meet? If say, you had one coming up in a few months that you wanted a crack at, as opposed to if you had intentions of world domination in the sport. Do you think your OLAD principles would be the way to go?

DJ

Sorry if i double posted but i was wondering where is the beginner articles that you mentioned on the OLAD thread.

Rdgs

Sir,
I have sent you an e-mail. Your generosity is incredible.

Semper Fidelis

-Devil 6

I would be honored to give a clinic to you good folks…no charge. If you are interested, email me at dj84123@yahoo.com

Semper Fi.

1802USNA wrote:
Dan,
You are already off of the net, that is too bad. If you are still checking this thread, there is no reply necessary. I wanted you to know I am issuing “From the Ground Up” to all of my Marines. I’m sneaking your barbell workout that you describe doing when you were in high school into our company PT sessions. We are working out with K-bells and currently running a dumbell snatch challenge for highest weight and most done in 10 minutes with a 75lb dumbell. Several of them have picked up the OLAD program. My Marines think I’m a mad man and that you are a genius. You are one good piece of gear.

From all of us at the Marine Corps Security Company, United States Naval Academy.

That is just wonderful to read. Read my book on my site and you will see how I put together a daily throwing workout. Go to “the book” on the site and click the discus book.

[quote]Linnet wrote:
Hi Dan.
Just got myself a discus and a shot and have a hammer on order. I’ve only thrown the shot before - twenty years ago as a schoolboy.

I’m taking your advice on ‘showing up’ and signing up for the first contest I can find and any subsequent ones too.
I’m currently doing something similar to the 'Rosenberg Protocol’ie. Mon, Wed, Fri - full body o-lifting. How would you suggest adding in the throwing.
Thanks.

Keith[/quote]

That might work really well. I trained with just the O lifts…

Why don’t you put together your idea and let us all look at it. I’m serious. Outline it. I would imagine, one squat and one squat variation, bench and deadlift…that’s four days…

[quote]juninho wrote:
Ok, I got a question, but first some unashamed flattery: your training articles are among the most innovative on the net, keep up the good work.

Righty, now that’s out the way, here’s the question:

How would YOU go about training for a powerlifting meet? If say, you had one coming up in a few months that you wanted a crack at, as opposed to if you had intentions of world domination in the sport. Do you think your OLAD principles would be the way to go?[/quote]

Check the original article…also, hit my website for “Old Stuff” and scroll down. Really, the OLAD can be just about anything…

[quote]Axe wrote:
DJ

Sorry if i double posted but i was wondering where is the beginner articles that you mentioned on the OLAD thread.

Rdgs[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:

Why don’t you put together your idea and let us all look at it. I’m serious. Outline it. I would imagine, one squat and one squat variation, bench and deadlift…that’s four days…

[/quote]

If you were preparing for an equipped meet- well, even if you weren’t- the variety of lifts you could do would probably make the OLAD program a very cool way of preparing.
If you were to do kind of like what Dan suggested it could look like this:

Day 1 Squat
Day 2 GM/RDL
Day 3 Off
Day 4 Bench
Day 5 Off
Day 6 Deads
Day 7 Off
Day 8 Off

You could instead of wave loading for bench, do full range, 1, 2, 3, 4 board press… for dead do full range, off blocks, rack pulls, etc etc.
If I was still powerlifting I’d be excited to try that.

Dan your work remains inspirational, and helps keep me on the path.
Thanks.

Thank you, Caber.

I like the variation idea…week one from the rack at a high deadlift, week two a little lower, week three, a pin below…at the same time, rack work up in the squat…so the deadlifts gets lighter and harder and the squat gets heavier and “easier.” I’m just spit balling here, let’s add to this…

[quote]Caber McJock wrote:
Danny John wrote:

If you were preparing for an equipped meet- well, even if you weren’t- the variety of lifts you could do would probably make the OLAD program a very cool way of preparing.
If you were to do kind of like what Dan suggested it could look like this:

Day 1 Squat
Day 2 GM/RDL
Day 3 Off
Day 4 Bench
Day 5 Off
Day 6 Deads
Day 7 Off
Day 8 Off

You could instead of wave loading for bench, do full range, 1, 2, 3, 4 board press… for dead do full range, off blocks, rack pulls, etc etc.
If I was still powerlifting I’d be excited to try that.

Dan your work remains inspirational, and helps keep me on the path.
Thanks.

[/quote]

okey dokey, I was thinking maybe:

Day one:
Back squat

Day Two:
Bench press

Day three:
rest

Day Four:
Deadlift

Day Five:
close grip bench

Day six:
good morning

progression along the lines of:

week 1: 30 mins, edt style in the 70-75% range (drilling form)

week 2: 20 mins in the 80% range

week 3: 40 mins in the 85% range (high volume/high int week)

week 4: 15 mins in 90% range

Week 5: test max

I didn’t see the post above,before I submitted mine… Just to add - great idea - this is similar to what I’ve been doing with my max effort bench days recently. I started with lockouts on week 1 and lowered the pins each week. For the bench at least, I have found you need to lower the weight quite substantially when you jump down a peg, but even so I am confident of breaking a new pr in a couple of weeks when I do full bench presses again.

I may change my OLAD progression idea now…

Hey Dan. How was UTA? I’m actually from Arlington TX and was just there visiting some friends. Very hot, but nice people and good food!

1. Deadlifts-I really try to use my hamstrings when deadlifting by driving through my heels but my lower back is always more sore than anything else the next day. I know that you use: lower back, hams, glutes, traps, etc but is this normal?

2. Judo came really natural to me too. I actually trained in brazilian jujitsu which is different but similiar and we practiced some judo/greco-roman takedowns when I was in Japan. It “just made sense.” The trips, sweeps, balance, etc. Why did you stop training in Judo? Did you enjoy it? I think I’m actually going to start training in Judo again in a few months.

3. Ever timed yourself on one of your 400 yard runs? A mile run? Now or back in your younger days?

Thanks Dan!

One last question Dan.

1. What do you think of doing high rep (25 reps) bodyweight squats for someone w/a “weird” knee thing/injury? Keith Wassung recommended this a few weeks ago.

Thoughts?

I ran a 5:51 mile for high school football. I think I broke 59 in the 440 in high school, too. I stopped Judo in the sixth grade maybe…

[quote]BPC wrote:
Hey Dan. How was UTA? I’m actually from Arlington TX and was just there visiting some friends. Very hot, but nice people and good food!

1. Deadlifts-I really try to use my hamstrings when deadlifting by driving through my heels but my lower back is always more sore than anything else the next day. I know that you use: lower back, hams, glutes, traps, etc but is this normal?

2. Judo came really natural to me too. I actually trained in brazilian jujitsu which is different but similiar and we practiced some judo/greco-roman takedowns when I was in Japan. It “just made sense.” The trips, sweeps, balance, etc. Why did you stop training in Judo? Did you enjoy it? I think I’m actually going to start training in Judo again in a few months.

3. Ever timed yourself on one of your 400 yard runs? A mile run? Now or back in your younger days?

Thanks Dan!

[/quote]

Sure, they have great value…

[quote]BPC wrote:
One last question Dan.

1. What do you think of doing high rep (25 reps) bodyweight squats for someone w/a “weird” knee thing/injury? Keith Wassung recommended this a few weeks ago.

Thoughts?[/quote]

If you are doing only one lift, though, you can experiment with a range of weights, speeds and volume: all in one workout! This is a good discussion…

[quote]juninho wrote:
I didn’t see the post above,before I submitted mine… Just to add - great idea - this is similar to what I’ve been doing with my max effort bench days recently. I started with lockouts on week 1 and lowered the pins each week. For the bench at least, I have found you need to lower the weight quite substantially when you jump down a peg, but even so I am confident of breaking a new pr in a couple of weeks when I do full bench presses again.

I may change my OLAD progression idea now…[/quote]

I think this is one of those areas where planning training has a benefit. I am a firm believer that you can’t always predict performance, but I think it does in this example…

[quote]Danny John wrote:
If you are doing only one lift, though, you can experiment with a range of weights, speeds and volume: all in one workout! This is a good discussion…

juninho wrote:

I may change my OLAD progression idea now…

[/quote]

G’day Dan,

I just thought you would like to know that last night I tried farmer’s walks and one-arm DB snatches for the first time. I have come to the following conclusions:

a) I now know why you don’t laugh at FW’s any more!
b) The DB snatches are a heap of fun, a great cardio workout as well and very easy to learn. I seemed to be able to focus on my hip drive with these a bit better than with normal snatches, hopefully there will be a carryover effect.

In the past week I’ve started doing workouts along the lines of CT’s recent Renaissance Body Develpment article where you do 3 big lifts each workout and then some GPP work in a circuit afterwards. Although I don’t have access to sandbags, tyres and sledgehammers as he sugggests I am doing FW’s with DBs, one arm DB work, overhead carries with either DB’s or plates, pullups/chins for max reps and I’ll throw in the occasional Tabatas when I feel brave!

I pick 3 exercises to rotate each time I do the GPP workout. So far it has been a lot of “fun”, and I’ve also discovered that my conditioning levels leave a lot to be desired.

I do an 8 day “week” with 4 workouts, two workouts have “normal” exercises with the GPP following them, whilst two others have OHS as a warmup, an O-lift variation to focus on speed-strength, a bit of a “beach” workout for arms and then sprints at the oval next to my gym.

I’m enjoying these workouts a lot more as getting outside and doing stuff such as FW’s and sprints adds more interest and variety.

Now I just have to try and get a home gym set up so that I can add more strongman stuff to my workouts.

Now for a question completely off this topic. I started up doing power snatches last week after a month or so layoff from them. I decided to work on the “pull from the heels” philosophy by using 10lb plates under my toes. My question is do you take a small jump back to clear the plates when you do the lift? It just seems like one more thing I need to think about during the lift to distract me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

Hey Dan,

I’m 46 yrs. old and will have my third shoulder surgery in nine months on August 31st (don’t ask). A supraspinitus tendon repair gone bad in November '04, f/u surgery in May '05 to re-repair tendon along w/bicep tendon repair and supraspinitus and bicep tendon repair on other shoulder later this month.

Have you suffered any shoulder problems in your career? I have a strong desire to learn and practice the olympic lifts, do you have any sense as to whether my shoulder(s)vulnerability will make practicing the oly lifts unwise?