DJ: Tuesday PT

I’m back from AZ…still trying to focus on what I learned…

I promised some of my information, and as soon as I can open my files, I will load them up…

So, what’s happening?

Squat JDCHS Style

Two Rules:

1. ?Spread the Chest? Be Proud of Who You Are!
  2. Weight on the Heels?always in the weight room.

Progression

1. Pick up the Potatoes Squat. Chest up, weight on heels, hands clasped between legs. ?Put the potatoes on the ground, bring them up.? The clasped hands should go right between the middle of the feet. Head up, chest spread, weight on heels.
  2. Goblet Squats: light dumbbells in both hands holding only one end. As you squat down, let the elbows widen the knees. Head up, chest spread, weight on heels.
  3. Bottom to Bottom Squats. Do as many reps as possible in ten, then twenty, seconds. Start and finish with a perfect bottom position.
  4. During the Clean progression, add Front Squats. Keep elbows high.
  5. For Back Squats, be sure to step back from the racks.

Snatch
Two Rules:

Address the Bar

1. Bar over the center of the foot?bar should touch the socks when the ankles bend forward.
  2. Feet flat on floor?weight on heels.
  3. Spread the Chest.
  4. Arms straight?like steel wires.
  5. Jut the chin out?like taking a punch.
    Grip!
    ?Wider? than Elbows?Collar to Collar for Taller
    Heels!
    Drive your heels through the earth and raise the bar up to the mid shin?nothing should change but the bar coming up a little.

Up!
Take the bar from the mid shin to one inch above the knee. Focus on the rear end pushing back?stretch the hamstrings?and jut the chin forward.

Jump!

Leap up and catch the bar?either in the Overhead Squat position or descend into the Overhead Squat and Recover (Stand up!)

*Slide: When starting light, have the athlete stand and slide the bar down the thighs to the end of the ?Heels? position.
The Clean
Olympic Lifts JDCHS Style

Two Rules:

Address the Bar

1. Bar over the center of the foot?bar should touch the socks when the ankles bend forward.
  2. Feet flat on floor?weight on heels.
  3. Spread the Chest.
  4. Arms straight?like steel wires.
  5. Jut the chin out?like you are taking a punch.

Heels!

Drive your heels through the earth and raise the bar up to the mid shin?nothing should change but the bar coming up a little.

Up!

Take the bar from the mid shin to one inch above the knee. Focus on the rear end pushing back?stretch the hamstrings?and jut the chin forward.

Jump!

Leap up and catch the bar?either in the Front Squat position or descend into the Front Squat and Recover (Stand up!)

You will note that I don’t have the term “Squeeze” here. It is because it is top secret and I refuse to share it…

Hey DJ, big fan of your work. Could you explain how you have your lifters use CrossFit? I like everything about their system but wonder how I should build up my weaknesses. Do you think I shoudl attempt some random olypic lifting, power lifting, bodyweight exercises, or GPP after doing my modified WoD or instead of every say third WoD? Or do you think I would be better off just completeing the WoD and letting it randomly build up my weaknesses?

I think I would get the most benefit from doing half CrossFit half focus on what I need to do to build myself up(a lot).

Also, if I can get another question, is there a great resource for someone trying to learn the olympic lifts?

Edit: I’m hoping for something along the lines of a video. I have heard the lifts described many times and am practicing them. I feel like I do them decently from the hang and poorly from the floor.

Dan John the ladies man!

Those are good notes/descriptions, but it would be great if someone had taken photos during that 20-minute session so you could “see” it better.

Looking forward to meeting up with you once again in the future.

You’re the man! I had a blast!

Hey coach,

Just a few random questions today. Some of which might be stupid ones.

Is the RDL just the top half of a deadlift or is it a completely different beast? I never really got the hang of the regular dead but it seems like once you get past the knees you’d just bend 'em and there’s a deadlift.

Just in case you’re interested, right now I’m doing kind of a Power to the People deal with RDL and bench. I’ve decided to focus on strength since I’m weak as a kitten. I throw in some Tabata thrusters once a week to round things out. Oh, and planks. Do you suggest any breathing pattern for heavy lifts? I’m not a big fan of holding the breath.

Also, Pavel has a thing in the book about having a “root lock”, so to speak, when lifting heavy, but I don’t think I’ve heard anyone else talk about it. And there’s some stuff on DragonDoor that seems to contradict it. Something to think about or does the body take care of itself. Thanks for your time.

Hey there Coach!

I was wondering what you do to teach athletes who are having difficulty with the hook grip? This is a personal problem that keeps causing me to have the bar fly out of my hands during the exposive portion of the grip.

Thanks for any help!

I tried to respond earlier but I couldn’t get the page to load. Hopefully, the DVD will address your concerns, but I wish I had you on the thing…you were a great student.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Dan John the ladies man!

Those are good notes/descriptions, but it would be great if someone had taken photos during that 20-minute session so you could “see” it better.

Looking forward to meeting up with you once again in the future.

You’re the man! I had a blast![/quote]

DJ, quick question. Are you a fan of DB snatches? If so do you have any key form points. Also, what type of rep schemes do you usually employ? Same as w/ the standard olympic lifts.

Hey, I just do what we call the “Black Box” approach. You simply do a heavy “big” lift either once every three days (I have heard every variation) or, like we usually do, a “half” crossfit workout with a heavy O lift or whatever. I would argue you give a couple methods a chance and see what happens over the course of a few workouts. I mean, it is just about impossible to figure what is working with this many variations, so we “sorta” use “how do I feel?”

[quote]skirmish wrote:
Hey DJ, big fan of your work. Could you explain how you have your lifters use CrossFit? I like everything about their system but wonder how I should build up my weaknesses. Do you think I shoudl attempt some random olypic lifting, power lifting, bodyweight exercises, or GPP after doing my modified WoD or instead of every say third WoD? Or do you think I would be better off just completeing the WoD and letting it randomly build up my weaknesses?

I think I would get the most benefit from doing half CrossFit half focus on what I need to do to build myself up(a lot).[/quote]

Thankyou for the notes!

DD

Hi Dan and welcome back from AZ.
I noticed this weekend that my max is 175 in the front squat, power clean, and jerk and 345 in the dead lift. Am I developing an imbalence? are there some sort of ratios I should be aware of? I’m 49 years old, six feet tall, and 195 pounds. I could probably add ten pounds to each lift. I’m not too concerned just want to head off any problems before they arise. Thanks, jim

Thanks for the feedback!

There are tons of resources. I like Kono’s book, the Harvey Newton book (although I think he is wrong about the RDL) and the videos by WLL. Can’t give you much more info…but you can use this wonderful thing called the internet to find how to get them.

[quote]skirmish wrote:
Also, if I can get another question, is there a great resource for someone trying to learn the olympic lifts?

Edit: I’m hoping for something along the lines of a video. I have heard the lifts described many times and am practicing them. I feel like I do them decently from the hang and poorly from the floor.[/quote]

In my free book on my website, I go into great detail about it, don’t I? I would look right now, but then I would have to work too hard. Go to http://danjohn.org and hit the free book section. It has NOTHING to do with the straight leg dl…no matter what some people say.

They ain’t the same. Of course, one has to do it to know that. I was wrong for YEARS about the RDL and I was a fool.

[quote]rodger1 wrote:
Hey coach,

Is the RDL just the top half of a deadlift or is it a completely different beast? I never really got the hang of the regular dead but it seems like once you get past the knees you’d just bend 'em and there’s a deadlift.

Just in case you’re interested, right now I’m doing kind of a Power to the People deal with RDL and bench. I’ve decided to focus on strength since I’m weak as a kitten. I throw in some Tabata thrusters once a week to round things out. Oh, and planks. Do you suggest any breathing pattern for heavy lifts? I’m not a big fan of holding the breath.

Also, Pavel has a thing in the book about having a “root lock”, so to speak, when lifting heavy, but I don’t think I’ve heard anyone else talk about it. And there’s some stuff on DragonDoor that seems to contradict it. Something to think about or does the body take care of itself. Thanks for your time.[/quote]

It’s funny, this is like the second or third question today that I have written articles here at T-Mag about. Click on my name, “Dan John” in the author’s list and find my article that is like “the world’s cheapest workout” or whatever. I love them.

[quote]Helix wrote:
DJ, quick question. Are you a fan of DB snatches? If so do you have any key form points. Also, what type of rep schemes do you usually employ? Same as w/ the standard olympic lifts. [/quote]

Nope. Here you go…

Bench, Front squat and clean should be about the same…in my world. DL should be double bodyweight…as soon as you can.

So…get those numbers then try to build upon them. It seems like you are on the right track already…

[quote]jamej wrote:
Hi Dan and welcome back from AZ.
I noticed this weekend that my max is 175 in the front squat, power clean, and jerk and 345 in the dead lift. Am I developing an imbalence? are there some sort of ratios I should be aware of? I’m 49 years old, six feet tall, and 195 pounds. I could probably add ten pounds to each lift. I’m not too concerned just want to head off any problems before they arise. Thanks, jim[/quote]

Yep, pages 29 and 30. It is genius! Of course…some one ELSE wrote it. I need to remind myself to stop stealing great stuff…or, at least, steal it and don’t give credit…

[quote]Danny John wrote:
In my free book on my website, I go into great detail about it, don’t I? I would look right now, but then I would have to work too hard. Go to http://danjohn.org and hit the free book section. It has NOTHING to do with the straight leg dl…no matter what some people say.

They ain’t the same. Of course, one has to do it to know that. I was wrong for YEARS about the RDL and I was a fool.

rodger1 wrote:
Hey coach,

Also, Pavel has a thing in the book about having a “root lock”, so to speak, when lifting heavy, but I don’t think I’ve heard anyone else talk about it. And there’s some stuff on DragonDoor that seems to contradict it. Something to think about or does the body take care of itself. Thanks for your time.

[/quote]

One of Dan John’s Get Up! newsletters has a great piece on the RDL. In is NOT the same as the top have of the DL - that’s actually more of a Dimel DL.

Dan - I’m glad you also think that Harvey Newton was wrong about the RDL.

Sssssh. Keep that a secret. I mean, c’mon I watched Nico Vlad do them…that simply shocked the hell out of me.

Yep…they work.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
One of Dan John’s Get Up! newsletters has a great piece on the RDL. In is NOT the same as the top have of the DL - that’s actually more of a Dimel DL.

Dan - I’m glad you also think that Harvey Newton was wrong about the RDL.[/quote]