DJ: Tuesday Prime Time

I’ll be shortiming during the official Prime Time, but if you simply can’t survive another day without the wit and wisdom of, well, me: post your questions.

Yesterday, we had some good stuff kicked around.

DJ, yesterday to answer my question about the OH Squats you said that obviously with injury issues some things won’t work.

Not to beat a sick horse (not sure he’s dead yet, but he is sick!) would you then say don’t bother to try if you can’t do it more or less correctly, or are the benefits of just doing the best that can be done worthwhile–even if it means a sacrifice on form?

Thanks.

Yes.

Okay, the real answer: if you have issues (injuries, gym problems, equipment issues, space issues, joint problems), you can’t do “everything.” So, you drop this or that. The key is figuring out what to add. I can keep myself in fairly good fighting trim (to throw stuff far) with just deadlifts and inclines. Not exactly the “cutting edge” there.

As I decide to go up the ramp, I add stuff. For me, Overhead Squats are something I do a lot of in training. They are ‘good,’ but not the answer to all questions. (That would be “42.”) So, with injuries, you have to say, I need “this” and whatever “this” is can be addressed by the following seven things. I can’t do “that,” “that,” or “that” but I think “that number four” will do it. Do number four. Remember, I couldn’t use my left wrist for almost a year and kept throwing in track meets, Highland Games and played in a flag football league. (Cast=Club)

Yes, it wasn’t perfect, so I learned the joys of pulling sleds…lots of sleds, lots of “one armed” front squats, lots of one hand carries. It worked, you know.

Here is something I once made up: when there is a will, there is a way. (Quote me if you wish…)

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
DJ, yesterday to answer my question about the OH Squats you said that obviously with injury issues some things won’t work.

Not to beat a sick horse (not sure he’s dead yet, but he is sick!) would you then say don’t bother to try if you can’t do it more or less correctly, or are the benefits of just doing the best that can be done worthwhile–even if it means a sacrifice on form?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Thanks, Chief!

My other theory is that if I can find a middle ground to do the OHS it’ll help with developing the flexibilty of the ankle.

And I like your saying… :wink:

42 could be a good answer, actually. 7 sets of 6 reps each. Part of the OLAD!

Yes, somebody else said: “Where there is a will,” but I can’t claim that. I once tried a program from a coach with 7 sets of 7…the single dumbest move of my life. (Okay, not really, but in the top 500).

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
Thanks, Chief!

My other theory is that if I can find a middle ground to do the OHS it’ll help with developing the flexibilty of the ankle.

And I like your saying… :wink:

42 could be a good answer, actually. 7 sets of 6 reps each. Part of the OLAD!
[/quote]

Hill sprints-

I’ve been basically sprinting up a very steep hill for about a distance of 40 yards and then walking down, sprinting back up, walking down, repeat 5 times about 3 times per week. Is that basically how you recommend hill sprints?

What kind of beer do you like?

I’d be curious to know how far can you throw a football and how fast can you throw a baseball?

[quote]BPC wrote:
[/quote]

I’m curious if you’ve tired Magners Irish Cider and if so what you think of it.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
BPC wrote:

[/quote]

I have not had that one.

Have you ever had Greek beer?

Joe? Dan?

[quote]BPC wrote:
Joe Weider wrote:
BPC wrote:

I have not had that one.

Have you ever had Greek beer?

Joe? Dan?

[/quote]

No…I’ve never even thought of Greek beer. Had Japanese and Indian and all that sort of stuff…but never thought of Greek beer.
Do they ferment it with lamb and garlic??

(j/k).

Dan I’m curious about your two “base” moves… actually one of them. Incline BP’s?

I’m a Scotch man. Beer makes me fat. But, when I must…when it is demanded that I have beer…when the world insists that I chug along…I like beer…it makes me a jolly good fellow…

Beers I like:

Hot Days:
Miller in a Bottle
Coors
Ultra (Yes, I said “Ultra”)

St. Pat’s
Harp

All time favorite
Lucky Bock Beer

Beers to cry in…
I love those Sampler Packs. I have a weakness for them.

Yes, it is Inclines with a Barbell.

I betcha I could throw a football a quarter mile…

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I’m a Scotch man. Beer makes me fat. But, when I must…when it is demanded that I have beer…when the world insists that I chug along…I like beer…it makes me a jolly good fellow…

Beers I like:

Hot Days:
Miller in a Bottle
Coors
Ultra (Yes, I said “Ultra”)

St. Pat’s
Harp

All time favorite
Lucky Bock Beer

Beers to cry in…
I love those Sampler Packs. I have a weakness for them. [/quote]

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting:)

[quote]Danny John wrote:

I betcha I could throw a football a quarter mile…[/quote]

a quarter mile? Serious? I’d like to see that:)

GREAT article by the way!!!

Dan,

what do you think about training w/a sledgehammer? You know, pounding away on a tire for a specified amount of time?

Ahem…Napoleon Dynamite…ahem…cough…pop culture…cough…

[quote]BPC wrote:
Danny John wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Yes.

Okay, the real answer: if you have issues (injuries, gym problems, equipment issues, space issues, joint problems), you can’t do “everything.” So, you drop this or that. The key is figuring out what to add. I can keep myself in fairly good fighting trim (to throw stuff far) with just deadlifts and inclines. Not exactly the “cutting edge” there.

[/quote]

To continue this question. Alot of mornings I wake up and my lower back is real sore. It usually goes away sometime later in the day, so I’ve never much worried about it. This being said, do you think it hurts to keep doing squats? I usually do 5 x 5 with about 245 (max,I thinks is around 275). When I leave the gym, at times I hurt like hell, but I figure if I keep this up it will make my back re. core stronger in the long run. What are your thoughts?

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Ahem…Napoleon Dynamite…ahem…cough…pop culture…cough…

BPC wrote:
Danny John wrote:

[/quote]

Dan,

What does that mean? Napoleon Dynamite, pop culture? Please elaborate. Thanks.

So I take it that you aren’t too fond of yoga? I’ve read most of your site now.

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Yes.

To continue this question. Alot of mornings I wake up and my lower back is real sore. It usually goes away sometime later in the day, so I’ve never much worried about it. This being said, do you think it hurts to keep doing squats? I usually do 5 x 5 with about 245 (max,I thinks is around 275). When I leave the gym, at times I hurt like hell, but I figure if I keep this up it will make my back re. core stronger in the long run. What are your thoughts?

[/quote]

I’ve been having the same problem lately. Actually, it kind of snuck up on me. I don’t know if it means I’m getting old or what, but the day after a heavy squat session my back is sore and stiff. The other day it seized up real bad after just sitting on the crapper. Front squats don’t do this to my back so I may stick with front squats as my primary squat movement. I’m a total wuss and I need the help of the Sting Ray attachment to do front squats, but it works well.

I think Dan hates those things so don’t tell him I use one, okay? The other advantage of FSQs is that you can do FSQs and deadlifts on the same day without overstressing the lower back, so it’s a good combo. Interestingly, deadlifts actually help my back feel BETTER.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:

I’ve been having the same problem lately. Actually, it kind of snuck up on me. I don’t know if it means I’m getting old or what, but the day after a heavy squat session my back is sore and stiff. The other day it seized up real bad after just sitting on the crapper. Front squats don’t do this to my back so I may stick with front squats as my primary squat movement. I’m a total wuss and I need the help of the Sting Ray attachment to do front squats, but it works well.

I think Dan hates those things so don’t tell him I use one, okay? The other advantage of FSQs is that you can do FSQs and deadlifts on the same day without overstressing the lower back, so it’s a good combo. Interestingly, deadlifts actually help my back feel BETTER. [/quote]

I noticed the same thing recently after squatting. I’m hoping that its only because I’ve started upping the volume a bit. I’m lifting at 80% right now and doing 8 sets of 3, 4, 5, consecutive weeks. We’ll see how it feels after 8 sets of 5. Maybe it will work itself out.