DJ, PT Tuesday

Dan,

Now that your summer is coming to an end over there and a lot of your competitions stop as the weather gets colder, I’m curious to know what your training goals are at the moment? Are there any big competitions on the horizon, or even next year, that you are looking to prepare for?

What does a typical Dan John workout week look like these days?

We had only one kid pass out today…down from four the first day. We are making progress!

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Fran
Thrusters and Pullups one after another 21-15-9 for time. Most of my athletes use 65 pounds

Power Cleans
Press
Front Squats
One weight: a set of 8, a set of 6, a set of 4

Farmers Walks dragging a sled.

Two minute isometric ab (Bent legs up in the air)

Coach,

I’m dense … but let’s start with something you don’t know … um, wait, is there anything you don’t know?

Nevermind … OK, re: the “Thrusters and Pullups one after another 21-15-9 for time.” explain? 21 thrusters then 21 pullups then 15 thrusters … ? how many times can I pass out?

Thanks,
Bastard[/quote]

Ben,
That’s part of the problem. With the new job and a lot of other things…I am “goalless” for the first time in years.

Here is what I do when I get this way: I pick a couple of obvious weaknesses (weaknessii?) and focus on them. For me, I have had some real issues with the hamstrings and the glute-ham for a while…some problems with lower ab strength (yeah, I noticed that they were connected issues, too) and some general issues of overall leanness.

So, I am doing a Leg Curl/Romanian Deadlift combo about twice a week, ending each workout with a tough iso ab hang, and starting to do a little “crossfit” again. Simple stuff…nothing crazy. I had taken no downtime for almost…gosh…four years? …and I started seeing the need to just enjoy stuff.

So, right now…I’m hanging and looking at my old notes and refiguring the next year.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
Dan,

Now that your summer is coming to an end over there and a lot of your competitions stop as the weather gets colder, I’m curious to know what your training goals are at the moment? Are there any big competitions on the horizon, or even next year, that you are looking to prepare for?

What does a typical Dan John workout week look like these days?[/quote]

so it is 21 thrusters and 21 pullups then 15 and 15 then 9 and 9?

passing out is underrated. i just had this discussion with a buddy. most people have never reached maximal levels of physical exertion. nor will they. as a matter of fact, i doubt that i have, but i certainly try, and i come close. THIS is a hard thing to get people to do. it all comes down to that hard work thing.

Bastard

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
Nevermind … OK, re: the “Thrusters and Pullups one after another 21-15-9 for time.” explain? 21 thrusters then 21 pullups then 15 thrusters … ? how many times can I pass out?[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Dan. My weakness is O-lifts, I want to get better at them! I start a new program I’ve just drawn up next week where they are going to be the focus, which is why I’ve been asking about the drills etc. Most “bodybuilding” stuff is going out the window and I will stick with deads, bench, militaries, chins and back squats as my other main exercises.

The program I am finishing had some O-lifts in it, but it was like learning them all over again as I had taken a break from them for about 2 months with the previous program, which wass probably not the best idea in hindsight as I was just getting used to doing them!

So no more excuses, I am going to stick with them for a few months to see how I go, and hopefully turn them into a strength.

Cheers,

Ben

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Ben,
That’s part of the problem. With the new job and a lot of other things…I am “goalless” for the first time in years.

Here is what I do when I get this way: I pick a couple of obvious weaknesses (weaknessii?) and focus on them. For me, I have had some real issues with the hamstrings and the glute-ham for a while…some problems with lower ab strength (yeah, I noticed that they were connected issues, too) and some general issues of overall leanness.

So, I am doing a Leg Curl/Romanian Deadlift combo about twice a week, ending each workout with a tough iso ab hang, and starting to do a little “crossfit” again. Simple stuff…nothing crazy. I had taken no downtime for almost…gosh…four years? …and I started seeing the need to just enjoy stuff.

So, right now…I’m hanging and looking at my old notes and refiguring the next year.

bg100 wrote:
Dan,

[/quote]

That is the tough issue: do we slack and back off for

1. Boredom
  2. Real CNS burnout
  3. Injuries
  4. Looking towards the next goal
  5. Fun with new stuff

Those are all issues that I think you have to swim through a bit…every year…

[quote]bg100 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Dan. My weakness is O-lifts, I want to get better at them! I start a new program I’ve just drawn up next week where they are going to be the focus, which is why I’ve been asking about the drills etc. Most “bodybuilding” stuff is going out the window and I will stick with deads, bench, militaries, chins and back squats as my other main exercises.

The program I am finishing had some O-lifts in it, but it was like learning them all over again as I had taken a break from them for about 2 months with the previous program, which wass probably not the best idea in hindsight as I was just getting used to doing them!

So no more excuses, I am going to stick with them for a few months to see how I go, and hopefully turn them into a strength.

Cheers,

Ben

Danny John wrote:
Ben,

bg100 wrote:
Dan,

[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Few people ask questions about optimizing things. Rather than focusing on better or elite performance, most people go willy nilly from thing to thing and never really master any of the ideas/programs that we offer here at T-Nation …
[/quote]

Well, if you take the people who are interested in working out for the sake of working out, then “better or elite performance” can be construed as “doing the exercises better”.

I’ve come to realise in reading your last few posts that, for me, “looking better nekkid” and “increased performance” are too vague as goals. Also, for me, they don’t carry enough weight to make them worthwhile.

If I was a fireman, I’d want to all my training to improve my performance doing that. If I was a competing athlete, I’d want all my training to focus on improving my performance doing that. But I’m neither. Which means it’s easy to get caught up in the minutiae of doing the routine “right” instead of looking for the reasons for doing it in the first place.

I liked what you wrote on your site about balancing your life, the “work, rest, play, pray” principle. I also think that getting that balance right is what directly contributes to longevity in elite performance. We’re in this for the long haul; maybe we should spend more time talking about things like that on these forums. I think there’s far more food for discussion in why we do things, what we should be looking at, and the forums in particular are a very good place to get a sense of perspective. Any takers?

Yes, exactly. When people come to my house to train…generally they come away with, okay obviously, new training ideas and a new understanding of intensity.

But, I have to say this: Ben Thuma started reading the Horatio Hornblower series after he saw my collection. Other guys have picked up other books or series of books. Some people go out and buy new CDs…many add a kind of prayer life, or quiet time or whatever. Other people have started the John Weekly Menu or Chore List.

You are right…it isn’t about the Work…it is all about the balance.

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Few people ask questions about optimizing things. Rather than focusing on better or elite performance, most people go willy nilly from thing to thing and never really master any of the ideas/programs that we offer here at T-Nation …

Well, if you take the people who are interested in working out for the sake of working out, then “better or elite performance” can be construed as “doing the exercises better”.

I’ve come to realise in reading your last few posts that, for me, “looking better nekkid” and “increased performance” are too vague as goals. Also, for me, they don’t carry enough weight to make them worthwhile.

If I was a fireman, I’d want to all my training to improve my performance doing that. If I was a competing athlete, I’d want all my training to focus on improving my performance doing that. But I’m neither. Which means it’s easy to get caught up in the minutiae of doing the routine “right” instead of looking for the reasons for doing it in the first place.

I liked what you wrote on your site about balancing your life, the “work, rest, play, pray” principle. I also think that getting that balance right is what directly contributes to longevity in elite performance. We’re in this for the long haul; maybe we should spend more time talking about things like that on these forums. I think there’s far more food for discussion in why we do things, what we should be looking at, and the forums in particular are a very good place to get a sense of perspective. Any takers?[/quote]

DJ,
Pure gold. I got the CS Bootcamp video where you talked about balance. What stuck with me was something you said like " We all look for ways to train harder, but at the same time we need to rest harder, pray harder, play harder (PLAY HARDER)."

I know that when I get out of balance, trouble is right around the corner.

In keeping with the theme; How do we optimize play?

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Yes, exactly. When people come to my house to train…generally they come away with, okay obviously, new training ideas and a new understanding of intensity.

But, I have to say this: Ben Thuma started reading the Horatio Hornblower series after he saw my collection. Other guys have picked up other books or series of books. Some people go out and buy new CDs…many add a kind of prayer life, or quiet time or whatever. Other people have started the John Weekly Menu or Chore List.

flynniec6 wrote:
Danny John wrote:

I liked what you wrote on your site about balancing your life, the “work, rest, play, pray” principle. I also think that getting that balance right is what directly contributes to longevity in elite performance. We’re in this for the long haul; maybe we should spend more time talking about things like that on these forums. I think there’s far more food for discussion in why we do things, what we should be looking at, and the forums in particular are a very good place to get a sense of perspective. Any takers?

[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Yes, exactly. When people come to my house to train…generally they come away with, okay obviously, new training ideas and a new understanding of intensity.[/quote]

I’ll bet - pity we can’t do that over the internet

You’ve gone and done it again - now I, and probably others, want to know “What’s the John Weekly Menu or Chore List”?

I figured this out when I was 16 and I still do a piss-poor job of addressing it. The problem with the life balance is that it’s like trying to stand a pen on it’s point. Theoretically, it’s possible, you can get very close to it but you’ll never do it. If you don’t take care of all of the forces acting on the pen, it falls over completely. However if you constantly keep your fingers close to it surrounding it, you can keep it practically upright. But the problem is you can’t remove your hands or the whole thing falls over.

I enjoy these types of discussions and thoughts a lot more than most of the other things that are discussed on the forums because they have more immediate application, they can be discussed and practiced every day, and frankly - you guys have it a lot more together than many of us. As I said before, we benefit a lot more from perspective which is one thing the forums always provide.

Keep Liftin’

Well…that’s a good question. I strive to make it all fun. We laugh a lot in our training. I have been in the weddings of a lot of former athletes because I think I teach them more about living than lifting.

A couple of things…first, have a mix. Now, I have church, St. Andrew’s society, a core group of friends, my brothers, my kids, my school life, my young friends, HG stuff, and discus stuff…

In other words, make your circle of friends as big as you can. That alone might be the start.

I’ll get back to you.

[quote]old_dogg wrote:
DJ,
Pure gold. I got the CS Bootcamp video where you talked about balance. What stuck with me was something you said like " We all look for ways to train harder, but at the same time we need to rest harder, pray harder, play harder (PLAY HARDER)."

I know that when I get out of balance, trouble is right around the corner.

In keeping with the theme; How do we optimize play?

Danny John wrote:

flynniec6 wrote:
Danny John wrote:

[/quote]