T Nation

DJ, PT Tuesday

I have the cure for old age…activity. It seems to work for me…

Discussion topics?

Just wanted to say that your Tabata article has not been forgotten. Here’s what I’ve noticed. Lately I’ve been doing more “cardio” type work and have developed better (although by no means great) conditioning. When I did the front squats with 95 lbs., my legs were the weak link, not my cardio. In other words, I felt like I could have kept going if not for my legs feeling like wet noodles. I thought about switching to thrusters halfway through the workout. Is switching exercises midway like that a good idea or would it be better to go lighter on the front squats and stick to one exercise?

Sweet! I’m finally online when you are.

First, I’ve just started the OLAD program and I like it. I’ve deliberately avoided both reading the threads and asking you questions because from reading what you put before, it seems that’s the best way to approach it. Do it first, ask questions afterwards.

Anyway, a while back I did want to post a question but I wasn’t around so I left it. Now I’ll put it to you. Since you and the rest of the contributors have put so much information on the site, and answered so many questions, in a way we’ve got nothing much to do except carry out the programs as explained and reap the benefits. However, that makes for a very dull discussion forum.

So, Danny John - the tricky interview question: what kind of questions would you be asking on these forums if you were in our place? What topics have we completely failed to inquire about in our mad rush to know the exact angle of declination in reverse Hungarian Goulash Swiss Ball twist flyovers? What chunks of the big picture could we benefit from more discussion on?

Good morning Dan.

Quick question please:

  1. I think that I’ve read that you are not a fan of plyometrics (at least depth jumps) but I’m pretty sure you advocate medicine ball training. Isn’t medicine ball training under the plyometric or “shock drill” umbrella?

No, don’t do that. I have had people try it…including me…and you lose the whole last two minutes of “learning.” You don’t want to mix it up. Add or take weight off, better tech…whatever…if you change the lifts, you won’t be able to figure out what needs to be fixed.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Just wanted to say that your Tabata article has not been forgotten. Here’s what I’ve noticed. Lately I’ve been doing more “cardio” type work and have developed better (although by no means great) conditioning. When I did the front squats with 95 lbs., my legs were the weak link, not my cardio. In other words, I felt like I could have kept going if not for my legs feeling like wet noodles. I thought about switching to thrusters halfway through the workout. Is switching exercises midway like that a good idea or would it be better to go lighter on the front squats and stick to one exercise?[/quote]

Few people ask questions about optimizing things. Rather than focusing on better or elite performance, most people go willy nilly from thing to thing and never really master any of the ideas/programs that we offer here at T-Nation.

For example, on OLAD…what is a great preworkout supplement? The old ECA stack was hard to time with only one lift. How about after? What about that third week with only 5-3-2…what are we trying to do there?

I would keep getting “us” to push the concept to elite levels…

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
Sweet! I’m finally online when you are.

First, I’ve just started the OLAD program and I like it. I’ve deliberately avoided both reading the threads and asking you questions because from reading what you put before, it seems that’s the best way to approach it. Do it first, ask questions afterwards.

Anyway, a while back I did want to post a question but I wasn’t around so I left it. Now I’ll put it to you. Since you and the rest of the contributors have put so much information on the site, and answered so many questions, in a way we’ve got nothing much to do except carry out the programs as explained and reap the benefits. However, that makes for a very dull discussion forum.

So, Danny John - the tricky interview question: what kind of questions would you be asking on these forums if you were in our place? What topics have we completely failed to inquire about in our mad rush to know the exact angle of declination in reverse Hungarian Goulash Swiss Ball twist flyovers? What chunks of the big picture could we benefit from more discussion on?[/quote]

It’s not that I am for or against plyos…people just do them wrong…and without enough base. Med ball is med ball work. It’s been around for a long time and it involves throwing. Throwers throw. I can’t imagine a training program for throwers that didn’t involve throwing. It’s not philosophical…it is just what we do.

[quote]BPC wrote:
Good morning Dan.

Quick question please:

  1. I think that I’ve read that you are not a fan of plyometrics (at least depth jumps) but I’m pretty sure you advocate medicine ball training. Isn’t medicine ball training under the plyometric or “shock drill” umbrella?
    [/quote]

Do you think your “Rapid Ascent Program” would lose its effectiveness by adding a 5-15 minute conditioning workout to the end of it?

Something like farmer’s walks, or a Staley EDT pairing, small cross-fit workout, etc.

Writing in from 2500 feet up the side of Mount Fuji. I love all the scoop passed on this thread. But, at this point optimization and elite performance is beyond me. I can almost front squat and power clean my own weight ( weigh 190 lbs at 6 feet tall). I mil press 135 and dead lift 340. I’m still focused on getting a basic level of strength. I do that by sticking to the basic oly moves (From the Ground Up) and adding a plate whenever I can.
This stuff may be a cure for aging. It is certainly the shame todays young folks when this 48 year old with small numbers is always one of the stronger folks in the gym.
Dan, when you Coach young people do you find they more injury prone than young people were 20 years ago? Simply not as rugged even though they are about as strong?
Thanks, jim

Not even a little bit. Here is our workout today:

Fran
Thrusters and Pullups one after another 21-15-9 for time. Most of my athletes use 65 pounds

Power Cleans
Press
Front Squats
One weight: a set of 8, a set of 6, a set of 4

Farmers Walks dragging a sled.

Two minute isometric ab (Bent legs up in the air)

[quote]croak wrote:
Do you think your “Rapid Ascent Program” would lose its effectiveness by adding a 5-15 minute conditioning workout to the end of it?

Something like farmer’s walks, or a Staley EDT pairing, small cross-fit workout, etc.[/quote]

That is the understatement of the year. My God…my next T-Nation article is basically this point. You can’t believe how many “injuries” I have to deal with on a daily basis.

I played football games with five chips in my elbow…from the first quarter…played two seasons with it.

I lifted with a broken wrist.

I lifted in an O lift meet with both pinkie fingers in stitches…don’t ask about this one.

I threw in half my college sophomore year meets with a back injury that left a dark blue bruise on my entire right side. I didn’t sleep at one stretch for three days.

Now, that I have finished “oh, how wonderful I am,” my point:

To be successful, you have to “Show Up.” You can’t make the club in the tub.

[quote]jamej wrote:
Writing in from 2500 feet up the side of Mount Fuji. I love all the scoop passed on this thread. But, at this point optimization and elite performance is beyond me. I can almost front squat and power clean my own weight ( weigh 190 lbs at 6 feet tall). I mil press 135 and dead lift 340. I’m still focused on getting a basic level of strength. I do that by sticking to the basic oly moves (From the Ground Up) and adding a plate whenever I can.
This stuff may be a cure for aging. It is certainly the shame todays young folks when this 48 year old with small numbers is always one of the stronger folks in the gym.
Dan, when you Coach young people do you find they more injury prone than young people were 20 years ago? Simply not as rugged even though they are about as strong?
Thanks, jim[/quote]

Hi Dan,

Quick question about the snatch drill mentioned on your website ie power snatch/OHS/hang snatch/squat snatch. It mentions to do at least 8 sets. Is one “rep” of the exercise considered a set? Also, how heavy should someone go on this lift? If I am working on technique I would think the load would have to be a bit lighter than performing the normal exercise.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben, that is the way “I” do it. I’m sure that there would be some variations. I think that doing eight singles like this is just right. If you are using some relatively good weights, you can see why you rest after each cluster single…

I suggest starting this with 190 kilos (418 pounds) and then go up heavy after a few workouts…once you get the feel for it.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
Hi Dan,

Quick question about the snatch drill mentioned on your website ie power snatch/OHS/hang snatch/squat snatch. It mentions to do at least 8 sets. Is one “rep” of the exercise considered a set? Also, how heavy should someone go on this lift? If I am working on technique I would think the load would have to be a bit lighter than performing the normal exercise.

Cheers,

Ben[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Not even a little bit. Here is our workout today:

[/quote]

Do your athletes enjoy doing something kind of different from normal strength programs?

Was there any resistance to it?

Are you serious? Of course…why wouldn’t you think that? Don’t think that “Fran” is easy with 65 pounds…do it in under five minutes and then tell me about it.

Next, those 8-6-4s can be done with over 200 pounds.

[quote]croak wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Not even a little bit. Here is our workout today:

Do your athletes enjoy doing something kind of different from normal strength programs?

Was there any resistance to it?[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Ben, that is the way “I” do it. I’m sure that there would be some variations. I think that doing eight singles like this is just right. If you are using some relatively good weights, you can see why you rest after each cluster single…

I suggest starting this with 190 kilos (418 pounds) and then go up heavy after a few workouts…once you get the feel for it.

[/quote]

No worries, my heaviest snatch lift to date has been about 50kg, I should be at the numbers you suggested after a few weeks of hard work…

Exactly…usually it takes about three weeks for the kind of results I expect. There are rare cases…but, what can I say?

[quote]bg100 wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Ben, that is the way “I” do it. I’m sure that there would be some variations. I think that doing eight singles like this is just right. If you are using some relatively good weights, you can see why you rest after each cluster single…

I suggest starting this with 190 kilos (418 pounds) and then go up heavy after a few workouts…once you get the feel for it.

No worries, my heaviest snatch lift to date has been about 50kg, I should be at the numbers you suggested after a few weeks of hard work…[/quote]

I meant resistance as in from athletes, other coaches, etc.

I’ve “attempted” Fran before, I wasn’t right for a few days.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Are you serious? Of course…why wouldn’t you think that? Don’t think that “Fran” is easy with 65 pounds…do it in under five minutes and then tell me about it.

Next, those 8-6-4s can be done with over 200 pounds.

croak wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Not even a little bit. Here is our workout today:

Do your athletes enjoy doing something kind of different from normal strength programs?

Was there any resistance to it?

[/quote]

Oh…I’m sorry.

Resist? Oh yeah…moms, “dad” coaches (“My son is getting ready to play blah blah blah”)…but the admin is 100% behind me and the program. Listen, you want results? Come see me. Don’t want results? Go hire someone else. I have a pretty good track record of turning kids around -bam- like that.

Why? I encourage them. I don’t swear at them. I challenge them every second they are with me…but never do I challenge their soul or spirit. My ‘worst’ kid from the first week came after school today for

more work.

Why? Most of the time, I am the first person in the kid’s life to set high standards and expect them to get it.

I’m old school.

[quote]croak wrote:
I meant resistance as in from athletes, other coaches, etc.

I’ve “attempted” Fran before, I wasn’t right for a few days.

Danny John wrote:
Are you serious? Of course…why wouldn’t you think that? Don’t think that “Fran” is easy with 65 pounds…do it in under five minutes and then tell me about it.

Next, those 8-6-4s can be done with over 200 pounds.

croak wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Not even a little bit. Here is our workout today:

Do your athletes enjoy doing something kind of different from normal strength programs?

Was there any resistance to it?

[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Fran
Thrusters and Pullups one after another 21-15-9 for time. Most of my athletes use 65 pounds

Power Cleans
Press
Front Squats
One weight: a set of 8, a set of 6, a set of 4

Farmers Walks dragging a sled.

Two minute isometric ab (Bent legs up in the air)[/quote]

Coach,

I’m dense … but let’s start with something you don’t know … um, wait, is there anything you don’t know?

Nevermind … OK, re: the “Thrusters and Pullups one after another 21-15-9 for time.” explain? 21 thrusters then 21 pullups then 15 thrusters … ? how many times can I pass out?

Thanks,
Bastard