DJ: Prime Time, Monday

Sight unseen, that is the right path, but I’m not sure what to tell you here. You could be doing something very simple wrong and you only notice the effects: the wrists. Somebody close to you needs to watch you…or take an internet video and slap it up for us to talk about this…
Snatches are usually pain free for most. [quote]basementD wrote:
Dan,

1-When I clean a barbell, I hold it incorrectly, similar to the top position of a reverse curl because of past wrist injuries which have limited my flexibility.
Someone told me it is possible to hold the bar in the correct position without a lot of wrist flexibility by raising the elbow higher, do you agree with this in general or does it come down to wrist flexibility?

2-I want to start doing snatches. Are there any recommendations for a beginner? 3 times a week? two times a week? Is 4 sets of 3 okay?

Thanks for your time.
[/quote]

Thanks for doing that…as many of you know, I am not comfortable “selling my stuff.” So, I appreciate the nod and the information…

[quote]BFG wrote:
Wilky wrote:
Dan I’m interested in your products - could you tell me about the DVD etc?

Thanks

My name is Dan, I’ve seen the DVD, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on Friday night. Thus, I am TOTALLY qualified to answer this question. Additionally, being a Dan John groupie means that, even if I’m not qualified, I’m gonna respond anyway.

Things you need to know:
(1) Dan has a dog
(2) it has a star-studded cast
(3) random heavy stuff gets carried, dragged, and pulled
(4) you have to buy it here: 百老汇最新官方网址|最新版
(5) did I mention that Dan has a dog
(6) rating: two arms up

Bastard[/quote]

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
In your opinion, is there any merit to attempting a DB snatch/DB OH Squat? Seriously.[/quote]

geez that sounds hard … really hard. an advantage to the bar is that the left side is attached to the right side. dbs would have to be held more or less directly overhead … oh wait … i see … do that!

wisdom please coach? (not insinuating that you’re old or anything)

Bastard

I’m not a fan…but that doesn’t mean anything…it could be great for some. For me, I have enough to do already…

[quote]BFG wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
In your opinion, is there any merit to attempting a DB snatch/DB OH Squat? Seriously.

geez that sounds hard … really hard. an advantage to the bar is that the left side is attached to the right side. dbs would have to be held more or less directly overhead … oh wait … i see … do that!

wisdom please coach? (not insinuating that you’re old or anything)

Bastard[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Thanks for doing that…as many of you know, I am not comfortable “selling my stuff.” So, I appreciate the nod and the information…
[/quote]

Bastard had it right. Awesome training video…kinda random but that’s what makes Dan’s training second-to-none.

One of the few videos I’ve bought and immediately put to use. This thing is gold.

A little quiet around here. I suspect everyone now knows my secrets and is on the field adapting them. My next article…I’m working on it…deals with “self evident truths” that never really hit you until later. Life applications…a few…

[quote]Jeff K wrote:
Danny John wrote:

Bastard had it right. Awesome training video…kinda random but that’s what makes Dan’s training second-to-none.

One of the few videos I’ve bought and immediately put to use. This thing is gold.
[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Well, I deadlifted 628 without having done a deadlift in months…maybe years. I noted that my deadlift went down when I deadlifted. I built it up with snatches and cleans and the carryover was incredible.

Now, this is not necessarily a worldwide truism. It worked for me…

I have found that certain things…Olympic lifting, kettlebell training and gymnastics…seem to have an amazing carryover to other sports. Other stuff: zero.

So…I would give it a shot…

realt81 wrote:
Dan I was reading on another website and they had an article called the no deadlift program and it said that the best way to train your deadlift was to avoid it and work similar exercises only testing the deadlift every now and then.

Kinda of like westside and they said to use exercises like good mornings. I kinda of think they are right because doing deadlifts hurts and it takes me a long time to recover. What do you think?

[/quote]
Is this right? “I deadlifted 628 without having done a deadlift in months…maybe years”. I thought one of your recommendations to athletes/strength trainers was at each workout- a variation of DL or Squat, Bench Press or Push Press, Row or Chin and Ab exercise. I know everyone is different but I DL up to 3 times a week cycling the intensity and am progressing. Now my DL is not 628, but 315 for 3 reps which may allow me to recover faster.

I guess I’m just curious about why you’re not Deadlifting even though you Clean & Snatching, especially when the Holy Grail Speed article you mentioned suggested it up to 5 days a week and Pavel as well.

What are your thoughts?

Dan what type of gymnastic drills do you use your training?

The answer is “both/and.” You see, people think like there is a magic template out there…the Holy Grail of lifting…where if we can keep narrowing some stuff down and expanding other junk…we will finally get it right.

You see it all the time, “I was doing forty sets of front squats with 405 with chains for 9 reps, but when I reduced the sets to thirty and increased the reps to 12.6, I grew like a weed.”

So, yes, don’t deadlift and your deadlift goes up. That is the classic “WTF Effect.” The “What the Heck Effect.” How did you get better? No idea…I just lifted and I was like “WTF?”

Or, deadlift five days a week and your deadlift goes up. It ALL works. The trouble? That third word in “It ALL works.” That’s the tough one…

[quote]cbichsel wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Well, I deadlifted 628 without having done a deadlift in months…maybe years. I noted that my deadlift went down when I deadlifted. I built it up with snatches and cleans and the carryover was incredible.

Now, this is not necessarily a worldwide truism. It worked for me…

I have found that certain things…Olympic lifting, kettlebell training and gymnastics…seem to have an amazing carryover to other sports. Other stuff: zero.

So…I would give it a shot…

realt81 wrote:
Dan I was reading on another website and they had an article called the no deadlift program and it said that the best way to train your deadlift was to avoid it and work similar exercises only testing the deadlift every now and then.

Kinda of like westside and they said to use exercises like good mornings. I kinda of think they are right because doing deadlifts hurts and it takes me a long time to recover. What do you think?

Is this right? “I deadlifted 628 without having done a deadlift in months…maybe years”. I thought one of your recommendations to athletes/strength trainers was at each workout- a variation of DL or Squat, Bench Press or Push Press, Row or Chin and Ab exercise. I know everyone is different but I DL up to 3 times a week cycling the intensity and am progressing. Now my DL is not 628, but 315 for 3 reps which may allow me to recover faster.

I guess I’m just curious about why you’re not Deadlifting even though you Clean & Snatching, especially when the Holy Grail Speed article you mentioned suggested it up to 5 days a week and Pavel as well.

What are your thoughts?[/quote]

On a typical day, about two to seven routines on the high bar, work on the pommel horse, and, of course, my whole ring workout. I had a tough landing about nailing a triple off my floor…

C’mon…pushups, pullups, that kind of thing.

When I get on the parallel bars, they become uneven bars…

[quote]Robert Monti wrote:
Dan what type of gymnastic drills do you use your training?[/quote]

Dan-

As I continue to improve my Oly lift tecnique and start to move more weight, I’ve found two “trends.”

For optimal snatch strength I find it best to start with the weight as far under my center of gravity as possible (chin way over the bar).

For optimal clean strength I find the opposite is the case - my strength is best when I start the bar in front of my knees.

Thoughts? Am I just weird? I don’t think it’s “all in my head” as we’re talking a difference of 10% on each lift.

Actually, I noticed the same thing on Saturday. We had some great lifters from Montana…well coached…and here is my thought: it relates to the grip. Snatch…wider…you can get waaaay out there. Clean, it is easier to slide back.

[quote]Jeff K wrote:
Dan-

As I continue to improve my Oly lift tecnique and start to move more weight, I’ve found two “trends.”

For optimal snatch strength I find it best to start with the weight as far under my center of gravity as possible (chin way over the bar).

For optimal clean strength I find the opposite is the case - my strength is best when I start the bar in front of my knees.

Thoughts? Am I just weird? I don’t think it’s “all in my head” as we’re talking a difference of 10% on each lift.
[/quote]

Thanks for the javelin workout. I actually had a plan before I threw. I use that “template” in the future.

Plan? Before you train? This is madness, madness I tell you!

[quote]Gary John wrote:
Thanks for the javelin workout. I actually had a plan before I threw. I use that “template” in the future.[/quote]

will you be going to throwing camp next year?
Lonnie

Sorry,
that last message was for Gary.
Lonnie

Lonnie,

Probably not. Long time no see. Funny that we all ended up as throwers. At least, I was fast once in my life. Didn’t become a thrower by default.

I know, I shouldn’t pick on Dan like that, its too easy.

[quote]Gary John wrote:
Lonnie,

Probably not. Long time no see. Funny that we all ended up as throwers. At least, I was fast once in my life. Didn’t become a thrower by default.

I know, I shouldn’t pick on Dan like that, its too easy.[/quote]

It is very easy to pick on him unless your next on the pillars of pain or sled drag. Then you try to top him. I ain’t that easy
I also thought I was fast once

I am “big fast.” Since I block out so much sun, you don’t notice how damn quick I am going…

[quote]lwade wrote:
Gary John wrote:
Lonnie,

I know, I shouldn’t pick on Dan like that, its too easy.

It is very easy to pick on him unless your next on the pillars of pain or sled drag. Then you try to top him. I ain’t that easy
I also thought I was fast once[/quote]