DJ: Monday, Prime Time

[quote]Danny John wrote:
A little quiet tonight…

Is it something I said?

[/quote]

Monday Night Football.

DJ, I’d imagine that you have had many memorable workouts over the years; any one in particular stand-out in your mind? I’d love to hear about it.

Bob

Hey Dan,

On Cross Fit a while back you said you were going to use a workout combinging the one lift a day and a CFit type work out of the day. How’s that going? Can you give an example?
Are you still throwing?

G’day Dan,

Just thought I’d tell you that I tried the 3-stage snatch drill for the first time on Sunday. It was a very good workout indeed, should help my conditioning levels quite a bit. It also affected my back squats which followed.

The funny thing is that I found the hang squat snatch harder from a balancing point of view than the full squat snatch. Is this a common thing? I think I was finding it difficult to get under the bar quickly enough, and as a result lost a bit of balance and got the wobbles in the squat portion of the lift. Any tips on how to work on this?

Cheers,

Ben

Coach John,

I figured you’re probably gone for the night but was hoping you’d get a chance to see this sometime.

I’ve started doing front squats. So far, I’ve had my feet a little wider than shoulder width, pointed out slightly, but I seem to have too much forward lean. I’ve been compensating by trying to keep my elbows high, but I suspect that only works because the weight is so light. To really keep my torso closer to vertical (how it’s supposed to be, right?) I have to turn my feet out quite a bit. Is this normal/okay? I’m 6’5" by the way.

[quote]Timmytaurus68 wrote:
Dan,

Long time reader, first time poster who just moved to springfield, Illinois.

I have ordered a sportkilt and have sent some e-mails and am going to try my hands at a highland games in the spring or summer.

Thanks,

Tim[/quote]

Tim ~

There is a very active highland games group in Springfield that hosts about 5 or 6 games each year. Go to ancientathletics.com for info and check out their forum. I would recommend you try to get to a couple practice sessions with them before the end of the season, so you’ll have some idea of what to work on during the winter.

~ Kevin Veit

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Well, a lot of moms are mad. It’s funny, I’m standing with one mom telling me this is the best class of her kid’s life while opening a note complaining that “my daughter is sore.”

Go figure.

I’m teaching the O lifts…and intensity.
[/quote]

That’s moms for you - they get mad. It’s their job.

I’m just wondering a couple of things here because I occasionally work with kids.

1. Is anything spilling over into the regular classes? As in, have any of the other teachers noticed a change because of your training?

2. You (as in “one”) often read that kids are better off not lifting extremely heavy weights. Is that something you subscribe to (I know, “heavy” is subjective). To put it another way, how do work on intensity? Knacker them and then make them work more?

3. Assuming it’s a mixed school, are there any differences between the girls and boys in work ethic, approach, etc.? Do they react to different exercises differently?

4. Aren’t kids great?

I toss an occasional pic on my articles. There is one at crossfit…it is the one with all the crap and the mountains in the backyard. You would be surprised how small my gym is, but people travel a long way to work there.

This is good stuff here. A nice little program with an excellent foundation. I like it!

[quote]Timmytaurus68 wrote:
Dan,

Long time reader, first time poster who just moved to springfield, Illinois.

I am 37 and have read you for a long time.

I, since november, have been lifting in my garage. Got a 24kg kettlebell and really enjoy your articles.

I have just started your OLAD with a little twist:

Day 1: Push Press, (L-sit for time at the end)
Day 2: Deadlifts (maybe some ab wheel, maybe not)
Day 3: Dunno yet, maybe off
Day 4: OH Squats, maybe janda situps
Day 5: Some cleans and snatches, then some garage strongman stuff like sled drags and pulls, waiter walks and farmers walks and as many pushups with my 45# vest and some improvised stone carries (my oly dumbbell loaded to as much as possible -160#so far and carry it like an atlas stone) goal: be done in under 45 minutes.

I have ordered a sportkilt and have sent some e-mails and am going to try my hands at a highland games in the spring or summer. I used to wrestle in college, but haven’t done anything since.

Today was good but tough, I finished 7 sets of 5 in 15:56 and did 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 165, 175. Then I did 2 l-sits, 1 for 30 sec and the other for 20.

Bwt was 220.

I just wanted to let you know how inspiring you are. It’s amazing how giving yourself a goal can motivate you.

Now my question: How did the Murray Institute of Lifelong Fitness get it’s name and could we ever see some pictures?

Thanks,

Tim[/quote]

Well, everything is to “scale.” There shouldn’t be an issue…we have 15 pound O lift bars and lots of 5 and ten pound bumpers. It is just that some of the kids are amazingly “out of shape.” The thing that seems to make them work the hardest is that we “time” everything…15 cleans in a minute…do this and this for time…whatever. That makes them very sore: they work with more intensity.

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
Danny John wrote:
Well, a lot of moms are mad. It’s funny, I’m standing with one mom telling me this is the best class of her kid’s life while opening a note complaining that “my daughter is sore.”

Go figure.

I’m teaching the O lifts…and intensity.

That’s moms for you - they get mad. It’s their job.

I’m just wondering a couple of things here because I occasionally work with kids.

1. Is anything spilling over into the regular classes? As in, have any of the other teachers noticed a change because of your training?

2. You (as in “one”) often read that kids are better off not lifting extremely heavy weights. Is that something you subscribe to (I know, “heavy” is subjective). To put it another way, how do work on intensity? Knacker them and then make them work more?

3. Assuming it’s a mixed school, are there any differences between the girls and boys in work ethic, approach, etc.? Do they react to different exercises differently?

4. Aren’t kids great?[/quote]

I will explain this in detail next time.

[quote]bojo wrote:
Hey Dan,

On Cross Fit a while back you said you were going to use a workout combinging the one lift a day and a CFit type work out of the day. How’s that going? Can you give an example?
Are you still throwing?[/quote]

There was one that just sticks out from earlier this year:

Thick Bar Deadlifts
Three Stage Snatch
Sleds, Farmer Bars, and Carries
Scottish Hammer
56 Pound Weight

Is was just that half way through, I thought to myself: “Man, you would need a lot of explanation just do my workouts.” I mean, NOTHING I do is like EZ Curl bicep work with Triceps kickbacks…everything is complex.

[quote]Bob A wrote:
DJ, I’d imagine that you have had many memorable workouts over the years; any one in particular stand-out in your mind? I’d love to hear about it.

Bob[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Wouldn’t a DI championship be simply amazing?

[/quote]

Simply amazing, and easy. It will happen someday.