T Nation

DJ: Monday Prime Time

Hi, my name is Dan and I lift weights…

Things to discuss?

DJ I know your more O-lifting then Powerlifting but what are your thoughts on power shrugs for trap size/strength?

how different is the dumbbell snatch from a bar snatch?
Beyond the obvious, thanks, LOL.

I can snatch a db that’s more than half my bar snatch.
I can get a better “jump” doing it.

Talking about it with some other people and the most popular theory seems to be that you can get more upper back/shoulder into the db.
So I figured I’d see what your thoughts were.

Thanks.

Joe, first…have you read what TC wrote about you…I was a little shocked to still see you hanging around…

Actually, the snatch with one hand should be more like 60% or more of your regular two hand snatch…you are still using both legs, the whole back, blah blah blah.

Here is why I like them: One minute learning curve! Now, I feel I can teach the snatch quickly, but I can teach the one handed variations much, much faster…

They are very good. Not the single greatest achievement in human annals (my friend, Nick, got a date…that would be number one), but pretty good stuff.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
how different is the dumbbell snatch from a bar snatch?
Beyond the obvious, thanks, LOL.

I can snatch a db that’s more than half my bar snatch.
I can get a better “jump” doing it.

Talking about it with some other people and the most popular theory seems to be that you can get more upper back/shoulder into the db.
So I figured I’d see what your thoughts were.

Thanks.[/quote]

For size, snatch five times a week. For strength, clean five times a week. I did lots and lots and lots of shrugs in my life, but they were never bigger than when I was in Junior College training with Dick Notmeyer. My t-shirts kept my ears warm…

So, sure, they are excellent…but the quicker stuff worked better for me.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
DJ I know your more O-lifting then Powerlifting but what are your thoughts on power shrugs for trap size/strength?[/quote]

DJ:

First chance I get to post in Prime Time…DJ, I post as Henry_Adolfo in P&B.

About the infamous 100 reps program…since I workout only a weekend per week, I have full time job and full time university, I think performing the 100 reps would get the most bang for the buck. What do you think? What program you do think is good for someone who can only get a maximum of 2 workout days…2 workouts per day?

BTW, can you post your 100 reps moves & poundages?

Thanks in advance.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
For size, snatch five times a week. For strength, clean five times a week. I did lots and lots and lots of shrugs in my life, but they were never bigger than when I was in Junior College training with Dick Notmeyer. My t-shirts kept my ears warm…

So, sure, they are excellent…but the quicker stuff worked better for me[/quote]

How would you go about doing this Dan ?

My current snatch program involves triples one day, singles another and 6’s another … would you have one doing 2 x 5 all days ?

Dan,

Just out of curiousity, how tall are you, and how much do you weigh?

Now that you’ve kind of “peaked” out as far as max numbers in the major lifts, what do YOU do for progression or advancement as a thrower and a lifter?

What do you think about clubbells and circular strength training?

What, in your opinion, is the best method to self-teach the snatch? I do not have access to any experienced O-lifters so the best I can do is to go by descriptions and videos of the lift.

I was thinking that I would do them daily, with the bar only, as part of my warm-up routine until I feel that my form is near-perfect and then start adding weight and scheduling them into my regular routine.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Joe, first…have you read what TC wrote about you…I was a little shocked to still see you hanging around…

Actually, the snatch with one hand should be more like 60% or more of your regular two hand snatch…you are still using both legs, the whole back, blah blah blah.

Here is why I like them: One minute learning curve! Now, I feel I can teach the snatch quickly, but I can teach the one handed variations much, much faster…

They are very good. Not the single greatest achievement in human annals (my friend, Nick, got a date…that would be number one), but pretty good stuff.
[/quote]

Thanks Dan. Yeah, it was a shock to me too when I first saw it.
An ax? I mean…that’s just mean.
Actually my db snatch is up around 70%, but I’m guessing that’s still not terrible…now if it was 95%…
LOL.
Thanks.

Maybe “sometimes,” but it is much harder than you think…to do a real 100 rep challenge. These are 100 singles…not ten sets of ten EZ Curl bar work with 45 pounds.

My attempts:

165 Squat Snatch (really, really hard)
187 Clean and Press
205 Power Clean (the easiest of the 100 rep challenges…short motion)
255 Front Squat (difficult, but I learned a ton about making the movement simple. Around, 50-60, I discovered how little you need to step back to clear the rack and I started to really get a machine like piston pace.)

Try the Big 55…55 reps in any way in like adding up to 55. You can do five sets of five, a bunch of singles, triples whatever…all with the same weight.

[quote]skullcowboy wrote:
DJ:

First chance I get to post in Prime Time…DJ, I post as Henry_Adolfo in P&B.

About the infamous 100 reps program…since I workout only a weekend per week, I have full time job and full time university, I think performing the 100 reps would get the most bang for the buck. What do you think? What program you do think is good for someone who can only get a maximum of 2 workout days…2 workouts per day?

BTW, can you post your 100 reps moves & poundages?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

What if you prefer to go at the snatch 7 times a week? Is that okay? :slight_smile:

[quote]Danny John wrote:

So, sure, they are excellent…but the quicker stuff worked better for me.

bigpump23 wrote:
DJ I know your more O-lifting then Powerlifting but what are your thoughts on power shrugs for trap size/strength?

[/quote]

Six foot, 225-255 depending on breakfast. What do you mean “peaked out?” I’m one good wind from being back on top.

For me, my goal has been for the past five years, to maintain my Junior College throws and lifts on bare bones training:

Snatch 230+
Clean 300+
Discus 160+

Last year:
Snatch: 248
Clean and Jerk: 320
Discus: 177’ 7"

[quote]BPC wrote:
Dan,

Just out of curiousity, how tall are you, and how much do you weigh?

Now that you’ve kind of “peaked” out as far as max numbers in the major lifts, what do YOU do for progression or advancement as a thrower and a lifter?

What do you think about clubbells and circular strength training?

[/quote]

DJ…what is the progression to learn the barbell one handed snatch, if I already know the db snatch?

Thanks in advance.

I think you correctly answered your own question. That is probably an approach that works for most. I taught myself to snatch…poorly…but it gave me a foundation for better coaching later…

[quote]Snoop wrote:
What, in your opinion, is the best method to self-teach the snatch? I do not have access to any experienced O-lifters so the best I can do is to go by descriptions and videos of the lift.

I was thinking that I would do them daily, with the bar only, as part of my warm-up routine until I feel that my form is near-perfect and then start adding weight and scheduling them into my regular routine. [/quote]

I just saw the reply, thanks.

What is the big 55 program? Is it the same as the 100 rep challenge only that half the reps?
Any reason why you chose 165 squat snatch over power snatch, which I think is easier for 100 reps?

I’ve done 100 reps with 205 clean high pull…great workout.

I just do dumbbell snatches with my adjustable O dumbbell. I don’t trust barbell snatches. Josh does them, maybe I can get him to post here…

DJ…what is the progression to learn the barbell one handed snatch, if I already know the db snatch?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Hi Dan-big fan here. I am a competitive power lifter with a best deadlift of 750 and total of 2000lbs. In your experience what are some of the best deadlifters you have seen and how do the person train? What assistance exercises get your deadlift moving? What are some of the most impressive feat of strength you have seen in training or in person? Again I really enjoy your articles, post and website!

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Six foot, 225-255 depending on breakfast. What do you mean “peaked out?” I’m one good wind from being back on top.

For me, my goal has been for the past five years, to maintain my Junior College throws and lifts on bare bones training:

Snatch 230+
Clean 300+
Discus 160+[/quote]

So basically your goal is “maintenance” as opposed to progression or advancement correct?

I guess my point is that after a while we all reach our human potential w/weights, so where do you go after that? I mean that there’s a point when you can’t keep adding more and more weight right?

By peaked out-I thought I read one of your posts in another thread, that you yourself had said that you kind of “peaked” with the major lifts.

I thought I explained it, but it is simply choosing one weight and doing 55 reps with it in any cluster of reps you like. So, you can pick something you can do for five and do as many sets of five…or just singles…or sets of three until you tally 55 reps. It allows a ton of volume but keeps you from crushing out hard reps. Simply stop, rest, and go again. I picked the squat snatch because I thought it would be hard.

I just saw the reply, thanks.

What is the big 55 program? Is it the same as the 100 rep challenge only that half the reps?
Any reason why you chose 165 squat snatch over power snatch, which I think is easier for 100 reps?

I’ve done 100 reps with 205 clean high pull…great workout.

[/quote]