DJ, Monday Prime Time

Just hanging around…forgot to sign up this week, but if anyone has any thing to talk about, let’s talk…

(Holding up my hand for attention)

Mr. John, Sir…I’m kind of confused about the proper stance for OH Squatting, and also if I may just be over-thinking the whole business.

Due to a lack of flexibility in my ankle as a result of a serious injury years ago (I got to listen as 2 orthopods argued the merits of cutting it off or leaving it on) I find that I have to go a little wider than some of the OHS pictured in articles here.

Today I was nosing about at your site in the /biblio part and saw there was a picture of you doing one with your legs quite wide and turned out.

Is it a case of “just do it”?

Hello, do you think as we age (in years and in training) we should cut our frequency?

G’day Dan,

Just wondering if in your coaching career you have had much to do with rugby union players? If so how do you go about setting up their training year with off-season and in-season?

I’m trying to help my brother who plays rugby train a little more effectively as he keeps getting injured! I reckon he needs to be a bit smarter on how he prepares with his strength routines etc.

Thanks Dan,

Ben

Hello Coach John,

I was wondering what kind of recovery methods you think a lifter who is over 40 should do in order to stay in top competitive shape – or any kind of decent shape?

I start rehab tomorrow for my ankle. I thought about getting a single set of ankle weights.

Any thoughts?

If you need details on my injury check out my Broken Leg thread in this forum.

[quote]Atreides wrote:
I start rehab tomorrow for my ankle. I thought about getting a single set of ankle weights.

Any thoughts?

If you need details on my injury check out my Broken Leg thread in this forum.[/quote]

Bro: I meant to respond to you in your own thread but forgot, sorry.

As someone who really effed up his ankle, I’d like to say that if you mean the weights that go on the ankle like a cuff, don’t bother.

You can do light leg extensions and stuff just as well without them.

When I had therapy that’s what the PT’s made me do, and all it did was frustrate me.

The watch word for you is stretching and flexibility. Stretch it on the calf raise machine, thresholds, whatever.

Also, IMO it’ll be well worth your while to find some type of NeuroMuscular Therapist. I’ve got a guy who started that way and has branched out on his own. Point of that is that there will be some damage to the muscles around and that stuff needs to be taken out. I didn’t know about it for 15 years or so…but the difference in pain and mobility since I found this guy are amazing.
I’d think that working it right from the start would be great.

Also: I don’t know how much ROM you’re going to have…if you have enough don’t forget your friendly local ART guy.

After you get ROM and stuff taken care of, then worry about 1 legged squats and things.

Just be careful doing “2 legged stuff”, as you can wind up throwing your hips off which leads to low back issues…you know where I’m goin’!

At this point I’m getting out of DJ’s thread. Sorry for the hi-jack Dan.

PM me if you need anything else–I’ve got some other stuff that may or may not be helpful.

When you see me doing them, I am in competition…catching the snatch any way I can…so, I might be wide. I teach this:

Your pulling stance=the stance you have when you jump up.

Your “catch” =the stance you have when you land.

If you have injury issues…not everything is going to work.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
(Holding up my hand for attention)

Mr. John, Sir…I’m kind of confused about the proper stance for OH Squatting, and also if I may just be over-thinking the whole business.

Due to a lack of flexibility in my ankle as a result of a serious injury years ago (I got to listen as 2 orthopods argued the merits of cutting it off or leaving it on) I find that I have to go a little wider than some of the OHS pictured in articles here.

Today I was nosing about at your site in the /biblio part and saw there was a picture of you doing one with your legs quite wide and turned out.

Is it a case of “just do it”?
[/quote]

Absolute opposite: train “daily”

Now, here is the thing I have learned…training is not always max. You can get loads of rewards from just doing the movement. So, if one day a week of squatting makes you sore for two weeks (exaggeration), try one hard squat workout with a few light squats…really light…five days a week. I find these little movement workouts to do wonders long term. I mean light and easy. For me, that can be a 95 or 115 pound overhead squat for two sets of five as part of a general warm up/warm down/looking for something to do…

[quote]Shadowruler wrote:
Hello, do you think as we age (in years and in training) we should cut our frequency?[/quote]

Ben, I was told one time that I was a “god” in New Zealand rugby. This I doubt, but I liked the idea…

In our back issues of Get Up, you can find lots of conversations and articles by Steve Shafley. He has training for rugby nailed down. Flip through the back issues

look around and get back to me.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
G’day Dan,

Just wondering if in your coaching career you have had much to do with rugby union players? If so how do you go about setting up their training year with off-season and in-season?

I’m trying to help my brother who plays rugby train a little more effectively as he keeps getting injured! I reckon he needs to be a bit smarter on how he prepares with his strength routines etc.

Thanks Dan,

Ben[/quote]

Good hijack. I know one step from nothing about rehab. I just jump right back in and keep going until I need another surgery. I was never noted for my ability to be smart.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
Atreides wrote:

Any thoughts?

If you need details on my injury check out my Broken Leg thread in this forum.

Bro: I meant to respond to you in your own thread but forgot, sorry.

As someone who really effed up his ankle, I’d like to say that if you mean the weights that go on the ankle like a cuff, don’t bother.

You can do light leg extensions and stuff just as well without them.

When I had therapy that’s what the PT’s made me do, and all it did was frustrate me.

The watch word for you is stretching and flexibility. Stretch it on the calf raise machine, thresholds, whatever.

Also, IMO it’ll be well worth your while to find some type of NeuroMuscular Therapist. I’ve got a guy who started that way and has branched out on his own. Point of that is that there will be some damage to the muscles around and that stuff needs to be taken out. I didn’t know about it for 15 years or so…but the difference in pain and mobility since I found this guy are amazing.
I’d think that working it right from the start would be great.

Also: I don’t know how much ROM you’re going to have…if you have enough don’t forget your friendly local ART guy.

After you get ROM and stuff taken care of, then worry about 1 legged squats and things.

Just be careful doing “2 legged stuff”, as you can wind up throwing your hips off which leads to low back issues…you know where I’m goin’!

At this point I’m getting out of DJ’s thread. Sorry for the hi-jack Dan.

PM me if you need anything else–I’ve got some other stuff that may or may not be helpful.
[/quote]

Dan, if you are a “god” in NZ rugby, you are very popular indeed! Now if they say this because your training programs/advice have helped out rugby players in NZ could you please stop, Australia beating NZ in the annual rugby test match series is the most important sporting result of the year for a lot of Aussies! Help us out instead…

I have already read the article in Get Up! about rugby training, he does present a very clear program. I was just seeing if you have had any experience yourself in training rugby players or had anything else to add to the topic.

BTW, I’m getting back into the weights tomorrow after taking a week off where I only went for a sprint session and swam a 1500m. It will be interesting to see how my strength levels are after “active rest”, based on what you recommend for each 4th week during the OLAD program. I’m not doing that program at the moment but it will be interesting all the same.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Ben, I was told one time that I was a “god” in New Zealand rugby. This I doubt, but I liked the idea…

In our back issues of Get Up, you can find lots of conversations and articles by Steve Shafley. He has training for rugby nailed down. Flip through the back issues

look around and get back to me.

bg100 wrote:
G’day Dan,

Thanks Dan,

Ben

[/quote]

Sorry for missing this…I have a little thing on my site (for the record: I hate people who constantly send people away from a forum…almost as much as hate those people who name their site after themself…go to danjohn.org for more information) called “Recover.”

For the over 40, use your checkbook/debit card. In order:

1. Buy a hot tub.
  2. Buy an ice shower…one of those outdoor showers hooked up to a garden hose…it will feel like ice.
  3. Train daily…usually doing the same, but a little different in each workout.
  4. Eat protein at every meal.
  5. Up your fiber. Ah, sugar free metamucil…why don’t YOU sponsor me?
  6. You are taking long walks with the wife and dog, right?
  7. Give blood, if and when you can. Odd, but true.
  8. Try to give the next generation some coaching…you will learn twice as much.
  9. Plan recoveries. Don’t just hope to recover…
  10. I only wrote ten because ten is a good number to have a list of rules. I remember when I first came up with this “Ten Rules” idea. I was ripped off by many…

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
Hello Coach John,

I was wondering what kind of recovery methods you think a lifter who is over 40 should do in order to stay in top competitive shape – or any kind of decent shape?[/quote]