T Nation

DIY TRT at 37, Unexpected Results

This forum has been tremendously useful and I’m grateful for all who those who contribute here. I’m now at a point where I need some help. I’ve been injecting for 9 weeks and I’m not at all sure what to make of the results. The lab tests show a decrease in Total Test but an increase in Free Test. And there have been minimal noticeable improvements in the symptoms I want to address with TRT.

My case is laid out below. Any help is very much appreciated.

Symptoms: I’m 37 years old have been dealing with ADD type symptoms for several years. Lack of energy, focus, motivation. Forgetful, mind wanders, etc I’m married with 3 kids and also run a small business. It’s a constant struggle to find the necessary motivation, energy, and focus to grow my business or to be the great parent/husband I want to be. I get occasional spurt of motivation and focus but it doesn’t last long enough. I have been spinning my wheels for years but I know I can and should be more successful.

A therapist told me 4 or so years ago I probably have ADD and mild depression. I donâ??t have any official ADD diagnosis and I can’t say I have ever noticed feeling depressed, but over the last 3 or 4 years, as per recommendations from a therapist and MD, I have tried various prescriptions. Lexapro, Abilify, Straterra, Wellbutrin, Adderal and a couple other meds that I can’t recall. The adderall has helped but only if I take it sparingly, otherwise my body adjusts and I don’t feel any effects. The only other medication that really worked was wellbutrin. It was absolutely wonderful for my focus and motivation but it only worked for a few weeks and subsequent attempts with the drug have not worked. Further research made me wonder if my testosterone was low.

Age - 37
Height - 5’8"
Waist - 30
Weight - 143
I’ve always been really skinny. Though I’ve gained about 10 pounds in my stomach over the last year or 2.
Hair - Don’t have full beard or hairy back
Hair Loss - gradual hair loss over the last 12 years. Not bald but starting to look pretty thin on top.
Morning wood - Prior to TRT morning wood was not very frequent, maybe 25% of time. On TRT I have noticed an improvement, maybe 75% of time. I cannot say I notice much difference in my sex drive though.

General Health - I have done physicals and basic lab work over the years and I’ve always been in good health according to the numbers. I don’t get sick very often either.

Current Medication: Levothyroxine for Thyroid
10 mg adderall 3 to 4 times per week
It has been quite a while since I have tried any other type of drug.

Diet: I have never been on any particular diet. Cereal for breakfast. Lunch-Fast food 75% of time, sandwich at home 25%. Dinner- 75% of time Home cooked meals, meaning either some meat on the grill or oven, or a box casserole, Usually some fruit and veggies with it. 25% of time we eat out, usually more fast food.
I drink 3 to 4 beers a couple nights per week, although that sometimes varies. And I used to drink beer more regularly.

Exercise: I don’t exercise regularly. I play basketball once a week during the season. My job and kids keep me pretty active but I know that does not count as exercise.

Pre TRT blood work from Doctors office
I apologize for not having more complete blood work done prior to starting my injections, but this is what I have.
1 year ago: Total T: 267 range 285 to 950, Free T 54 range 50 to 247
16 weeks ago: Total T: 363 and Free T 85
Thyroid: TSH was 5.23 (range .35 -5.5)and free t4 was 1.7 (range .72 - 1.55)
Doctor prescribed Levothyroxine 50MCG daily
10 weeks ago Thyroid: TSH was 2.59 and free T4was 1.23

9 weeks ago - Started injections.
2 weeks ago - After 7 weeks of injections (complete male hormone panel from LabCorp posted below)
Total Test: 265 range 348-1197 ng/dl
Free Test: 10.55 range 5-21 ng/dl
Estradiol: 11 range 3-70 pg/ml
Thyroid: TSH: 2.94 range .45-4.5, T4: 8.6 range 4.5 -12.0 ug/dl, Free T Index: 3.1 range 1.2-4.9

My doctor, who has been trying to help me for 3 or 4 years by trying different prescriptions, did not think my T levels were any thing to worry about He did think my thyroid level could levels could be contributing. He prescribed Levothyroxine 50MCG daily, which I started 16 weeks ago.

I have been injecting about 60 mg Test Enanthate twice per week in the glute. I have been using 3 mil syringes and it is a little hard to gauge. I have not taken an AI. And I am done have kids.

I went though labcorp a couple weeks ago and the results are not what I had expected. My total T has decreased while my Free T has increased. I’m not sure what to make of that. Now I don’t have lab numbers from right before I started injections. So I’m comparing TRT results from tests done 7 or 8 weeks before starting. I know that is not that may not make for the most meaningful comparison but I still would think my Test levels would have gone up much more.

Also my Estradiol seems low. I know my estradiol level prior to TRT is unknown, but I was expecting a higher number. I was thinking that my lack of noticeable results would be due to an increase in estrogen and not taking an AI.

Overall I don’t feel much different and not the results I was hoping for. On the days I inject I do notice a little more energy and drive, but not always. Sometimes I feel a little edgy. And it seems like I’m not even feeling any results these last couple of weeks.

My Thyroid numbers improved some but could still be better?.

I have been checking my temp lately. It seems to vary a lot but it is around 97 in morning, 97.7 to 98 by late afternoon. From the stickies I’m aware that my temp is a little low. I’m confused though on treating my thyroid with the prescribed medication versus supplementing more iodine into my diet.

Questions

Is it possible the enanthate I have is just really weak? Or does my body just not absorb it or something? Could I be doing something wrong?

Should I try a higher dosage? Or more than twice a week? None at all?
Should I try an AI?

I really don’t know what to try next. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

I have a high deductible health policy so paying full price for to explore this more with other doctors is not a good option.

Thanks for your help!

Adam

Here is the rest of the lab work