DIY No-Drill Farmer's Walk Handles

I cut a square the size of the rubber part of the clamp, applied the glue, and then clamped it onto the pipe to force contact between the rubber square and the clamp.

1 Like

I had handles and posts to load plates welded on two chunks of railroad rail that I picked up at the scrap yard. I hit them with a wire wheel and painted them. My handles are smooth and all I’ve ever used is chalk. I’ve never tried it but honestly in my mind’s eye I think putting tape on would make them harder to hold onto.

Just for clarification, are we talking sch. 40 PVC? I’ve been eye balling this post for a while and I’m about to have some free time this winter. I’m employed at a landscape supply company, so the majority of these parts should be within arms reach for me.

1 Like

No, definitely not PVC… sch 40 1.5" steel pipe.

I thought that seemed crazy, but the scaring on the pictures didnt look like steel

I just want to say thank you to the author of this post.

Update on these: after about 18 months of regular use, they are still as sturdy as they were on day 1. They have required minimal routine maintenance (mostly just tightening the fittings), which I have only done about 5 or 6 times.

I have loaded these up to 275 lbs each numerous times (and 300 a couple of times), and they are subjected to abuse at least once every week. They have also worked well for my wife, who is tiny (4’11" and 100 lbs).

A few suggestions:

1. Athletic tape (single layer) works well for grip on the handles. I replace it once it starts bunching and/or gets grungy.
  2. Be sure to use the correct Gorilla Glue (the super glue gel) for the rubber pieces.
  3. After setting them down, go ahead and gently rotate them so the handle is resting on the floor. This prevents them from rolling away, and from banging the handle on the floor if it were to start rolling.
2 Likes